More liquor licenses available-SBJ Today

  • Bruce Holmes
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2009
      From Friday's Print Edition of the Business Journal

      More liquor licenses available
      The state is opening up applications for new liquor licenses based on population growth. These are for full-bar operations that sell booze, not just the beer and wine licenses, which are much more available.

      The California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control is accepting applications for new liquor licenses two months earlier this year with applications accepted July 20 through July 31. The department is encouraging people to apply early to get a license for the $12,000 fee. Outside of the new distribution, liquor licenses can sell for whatever the market will bear, which in Placer County for much of the last decade has been north of $100,000.

      Based on population growth, El Dorado County gets two new licenses, Placer County can get up to eight, Sacramento County is eligible for more than 50 and Yolo County is eligible for more than 13 licenses. Some of those licenses are restricted to on-sale (restaurants and bars) and off-sale (liquor stores and supermarkets).

      Paragary’s Bar & Oven will get a thorough remodel in anticipation of bringing back its lunch menu — about a year from now.

      Restaurateur Randy Paragary expects the extensive remodel at 28th and N streets to coincide with the end of the street-closing work related to the $600 million expansion of Sutter General Hospital.

      In the meantime, the restaurant is only offering dinner.
      “Right now, we’re a victim of Sutter’s construction project. Streets are closed and it’s hard to get around here,” Paragary said. “I’m not complaining. In a few years, people will ask me how I got such a good location next to a giant hospital complex. For right now, we just have to get through it.”
      The remodel will be thorough, including moving the bar and the front door, and completely replacing the entire back wall with windows to tie the main dining room in with the landscaped patio out back.