Increase in Burglaries in the City

  • littecatpie
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2009
      The text below is from Sac Police Dept. dated today. I don't know if Midtown is experiencing an uptick in burglaries, but it appears the statistic noted on the increase in burglaries over last year is city-wide. The info here is good advice all around. Thanks. Vivian -

      News Release
      March 31, 2009
      For Immediate Release
      Release No. 20090331-54

      Media Relations Office
      916 808.0808 / F: 916 808.0829

      Numerous Arrests Made with the Increase of Burglaries -
      Since February 2009, the south area of Sacramento has seen an increase of residential burglaries. Burglaries have increased by over 59% in comparison to the 2008 identical time frame.

      Many of our recent arrests resulted from neighbors calling in burglaries in progress or suspicious activity. We are asking residents to continue to be on the look out for suspicious activity and/or persons in their neighborhoods. The best method to combating burglaries is having neighbors look out for one another by calling the police on suspicious activity.

      The majority of burglaries are occurring during the day time when most people are at work. The suspects will knock on the door and when they get no response, go into the backyard of the residence. The suspects then make entry into the house through a window or
      door.

      Over the last month we have arrested over 17 individuals for burglary or prowling in this area. Some of the suspects are known burglars that have been arrested for the same crime numerous times. Many of the suspects are juveniles. Some of the suspects arrested have
      been linked to numerous burglaries.

      The following are some crime prevention tips people should consider:

      • write down serial numbers for all your electronic devices (ie, play station, ipod, tv's)

      • audible burglar alarm to scare away suspects

      • lock the gate to your backyard

      • make sure all your windows and doors are locked

      • organize neighborhood watch- get to know your neighbors to watch out for each other

      • keep bushes trimmed so suspects can't hide behind them

      • keep blinds and/or curtains closed so intruders can not see inside your house

      Crime Alert -(916) 443-HELP, or text in a tip by texting to 274637 (CRIMES) then enter SACTIP followed by the tip information. Callers can remain anonymous and may be eligible for a reward up to $1,000.