Ryan Vanguard: 3---Something Else: 0

  • stevefuhrmann
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 9, 2010
      Ryan enthusiasts,

      I bought my second Vanguard in summer 2009, having gone several years without and wanting the uncluttered view of the world going by and road coming under the front wheel. I knew it is not a particularly fast bike but, unfortunately, I am still into speed.

      Trial #1: Spring 2010, maybe I'll "upgrade" to Longbikes Slipstream. They evolved from the Vanguard, get great reviews and go faster (or so says Greg Peak, owner of Longbikes). After a long back-to-back comparison between Greg's personal Slipstream and my Vanguard (lucky we live close together), I said, "No, I'll stay with the Vanguard."

      Trial #2: Summer 2010, I figured I'd build my own fast, modern-component USS recumbent. I did. It worked. But I'm selling it and still on the Ryan.

      (For more about the Vanguard-Slipstream comparison and a report about converting a Rans V2 Formula 26 to USS, see http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=64736).

      Trial #3: Today I rode a 2008 Hase Kettwiessel AL extensively with money in pocket and intent to buy. I would have to sell the Vanguard to cover the price. I figured if the Vanguard is medium speed, why not go really slow and try something totally different (I do have a Bacchetta Corsa for club and tour rides where keeping up is important). I was having so much fun tooling around on the Kettwiessel that I decided that I'd like to have it. But one last test first--pull the Vanguard out of the vehicle to do a back-to-back comparison. Oh my goodness! After three brief Ryan-Hase-Ryan rides the answer was easy. I told the disappointed seller that there was no way I could give up the Ryan ride for the Hase ride. I drove away with one more itch scratched and glad I did not sacrifice the Ryan to a trike. At suppertime my wife commented, "Good. Maybe you'll do something now besides changing and working on bikes." Pretty good comment coming from something who doesn't relate to us at all...

      Ride Happy,
      Steve Fuhrmann
      Monument, CO
    • m.kenady
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 9, 2010
        Hello, Steve.
        > When I bought your old bike from Paul, it came with a fairing. If you are looking for a way to keep up with others, I will recommend one. You will have something in front of you, but it will be clear. Mine is by Zipper.
      • Geoff Steele
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 10, 2010
          Steve:

          One last thought that will "nail" the Ryan in your life to the point where you'll probably request to be buried with it.  Go to REI (online) and look for a self-inflating seat cushion for the seat.  Inflated about 30% or so takes out virtually all bumps from road expansion joints, potholes, different pavement elevations, medium-sized stones and other flotsam in the road.  One of these can turn an 80-mile day into a 140-mile day easily.  And you can then get off the bike still capable of carrying on an intelligent conversation with someone.

          When you get home for supper, your wife will have to bring it to you in a TV tray, because you won't want to get off the bike.

          See:  http://www.rei.com/search?query=seat+cushions

          Regards,

          Geoff

          To: ryanownersclub@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 11, 2010
            Hello Steve,

            I don"t think there is a bike out there that gives me more pleasure to own and ride than the Vanguard, especially since I changed the seat to a Rans seat. I still sometimes think about trying a Linear Limo 3.0 from the Bicycle Man. However I think the Vanguard will win that matchup too if not just for the ride of steel alone over aluminum. The Linear also has the Rans seat. I don't see myself ever selling the Vanguard in the near future. Don't think it's ride can be beat either for comfort or just shear bicycling pleasure. I have even thought about having a custom Vanguard frame made of Titanium or stainless steel. I think my Vanguard has at least 10 to 15 years left in it maybe more.

            Kelly Fitzhugh

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 13, 2010
              Thank you for the replies, Mike, Geoff, and Kelly! Appreciate that.

              Mike, I doubt I'll add a fairing because I suspect the new hardware in front of me will violate the premium I place on the clean, open view. On the other hand, one does not know until he (she) tries it...

              Geoff, as I went into action to purchase an inflatable seat cushion as you suggested, the light bulb finally flashed in my dim head...I have a cushion already and it just might work. Cascade Designs Therm-a-rest Z-Lite has been in my backpacking collection for some time and I already have two sections of it cut loose from the rest (10" X 20"). I cut it down a bit more to fit the Ryan seat and rode about 3 hours on Monday. Very nice indeed; don't know when I'll get a really long test (6+ hours). So far it is just laying there with a piece of tape across it so it does blow away if I walk off and leave it. Not elegant but functional. Z-Lite: http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/fast-and-light/z-lite/product

              Kelly, I'll try a different seat also. A used Bacchetta re-curve seat is "in the mail" as I write. $40 plus shipping (I used to ride this very seat on a Bacchetta Strada; now the seat is gathering dust, thus the low price.) Your Rans seat looks great on your Vanguard, so I'll see if the Re-curve provides both the function and good looks. More to follow
            • Kelly Fitzhugh
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 13, 2010
                Hello Steve,

                I had a Bacchetta Re-Curve seat on my Bacchetta Gyro 20 and it is very comparable to the Rans seat. Probably because the Schlitter's work for both companies. The seat cushions are different foam but other than that they feel almost the same. I just ordered the lightweight version of the Rans seat foam today to try it out. The standard foam is really too thick but extremely cushy. The lightweight cushion shaves off 11.5 ounces of weight but is only 1/3 as thick. Either way I think you will like the new seat on the Vanguard. Let me know how it turns out. Have a good night.

                Kelly Fitzhugh

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 13, 2010
                  Hi Steve:

                  Glad you got some extra padding under your derriere.  The Z-lite probably will work fine.  If it's "solid" foam, though, it may not breathe, so be careful you don't overheat down there...

                  Geoff

                  To: ryanownersclub@yahoogroups.com