my tailbone hurts - any suggestions?

  • indiglo48718av
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2008
      Howdy folks,

      I'm new to riding and I find that my tailbone hurts after about 30
      minutes on my Vanguard. I treid tilting my seat up but it didn't make a
      difference. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it?

      Thanks!
      Lori
    • Jim Duncan
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2008
        try any sort of thin, firm pad.... like a stadium seat.  i have had friends that rode with a padded cover for the seat. that was mainly to keep their bottoms warm and dry in winter or cool weather.
        good luck... let us know if this helps.   jim

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2008

          Years ago Ryan offered a seat pad for just such occurrence, I got one. What it is is simply a thermo Rest pad designed for the lumbar region. Dick Ryan put it into a sleeve type bag which was then attached by Velcro to your seat. The Velcro wore out on me then I attached plastic clips with new straps. It works fine for me. Occasionally I have similar discomfort. I simply stop get off of the bike for a few minutes and get back on. I know I uploaded some pics of this but I haven’t checked in some time if they are on the lists web site. I am sure can find a pad on the internet. Simply google lumbar Thermo Rest.

          Mike.

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2008

            To add to my last email I found a site that has this exact pillow that Ryan offered. Now remember you need to put the pad into a sleeve which is then attached to your seat. DO NOT PUNCH A HOLE IN THE PAD.

            http://www.livingincomfort.com/casselbaclum.html

            Mike.

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 2008
              Hi Lori,

              I have the same problem in the beginning of the riding season. Now
              that I'm getting older, at times it is quite sore when I first start
              the riding season. For me it's just a matter of getting the buttocks
              use to long rides. I'm sure the seat pads that others mentioned work
              for some people (and maybe you) but I found it uncomfortable in a
              different way.

              I'm sure you will find the right combination that makes you comfy. For
              me this riding season was a bust. Something is going on in my left
              knee that has kept me off the bike. Getting an MRI the 9th, hopefully
              they will find something simple and can be fixed so I'll be ready for
              next spring.

              Good luck and keep riding,
              Bill

              --- In ryanownersclub@yahoogroups.com, "indiglo48718av"
              <mikeysgirl556@...> wrote:

              > Howdy folks,
              >
              > I'm new to riding and I find that my tailbone hurts after about 30
              > minutes on my Vanguard. I treid tilting my seat up but it didn't make
              > difference. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it?
              >
              > Thanks!
              > Lori

            • Keith Nichols
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 1, 2008
                Lori,
                First--try Chris' suggestions about adjusting the straps.  I did that many times for about 6 months when I first got my Vanguard (1997) and have had no problem since.  It also took me awhile but I finally found the right seat tilt for me.  The tilt/strap combination might help.
                Second--if you do decide to try the therma-rest seat pad, they might still be available from Campmor.  I use mine more for warmth in the winter than anything else.  One caution--don't inflate it more than 1/4 of the way.  More than that makes it tippy and can affect fore & aft adjustment necessary for the seat,
                Keith in Colorado

                  @
                  \__^\
                (O)””””'''””o

                1997 Ryan Vanguard

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 2, 2008
                  Thanks for the suggetions everyone and thanks Mike for the link. I'll
                  try adjusting the straps and I'm getting a therma-rest pad, too,
                  because I'm not that patient. A local store sells them so I can pick
                  one up.

                  Bill - I hope they find something helpful on the MRI. I'm sorry you
                  have "riding seasons". I'm in So CA so, except for Santa Ana winds
                  and three or four rain drops, I can ride all year. I hope I get
                  comfortable enough riding that I wear out the back of the legs on my
                  shorts. Ü

                  Lori

                  --- In ryanownersclub@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Harris"