Is the Vanguard Sovos rear hub a freewheel or freehub?

  • Kelly
    Message 1 of 14 , May 2, 2012
      Hello fello Vanguards,

      I am wondering if anyone here knows for sure if the Sovos rear hub on the Vanguard is a freewheel or a freehub. I am thinking it is a 7speed freewheel but hoping it is a freehub. It doesn't appear to be a freehub.
      Thanks in advance for any respones.

      Kelly Fitzhugh
    • Tom Armstrong
      Message 2 of 14 , May 2, 2012
        Freewheel, sad to say.

        I haven't tried an eight-speed freewheel on that hub (there are a couple out there, including one in stock at the shop where I currently work).

        Tom, aka bikeolounger

        "If I can bicycle, I bicycle."
        Sir David Attenborough

        I am wondering if anyone here knows for sure if the Sovos rear hub on the Vanguard is a freewheel or a freehub. I am thinking it is a 7speed freewheel but hoping it is a freehub. It doesn't appear to be a freehub.
        Thanks in advance for any respones.

        Kelly Fitzhugh

      • Kelly Fitzhugh
        Message 3 of 14 , May 2, 2012
          Hey Tom,

          Thanks for your quick response. Do you have a number I could call to talk to you about the 8 speed freewheel?

          Kelly Fitzhugh
          972-974-1651

          Message 4 of 14 , May 2, 2012
            Hey Tom,

            Since we are on the subject. Do you know if the bar end shifters on the Vanguard go beyond 7 speeds or is that it. I heard they can be adapted for more speeds with additional parts, but not sure.

            Thanks,
            Kelly Fitzhugh

            Thanks for your quick response. Do you have a number I could call to talk to you about the 8 speed freewheel?

            Kelly Fitzhugh
            972-974-1651

            I am wondering if anyone here knows for sure if the Sovos rear hub on the Vanguard is a freewheel or a freehub. I am thinking it is a 7speed freewheel but hoping it is a freehub. It doesn't appear to be a freehub.
            Thanks in advance for any respones.

            Kelly Fitzhugh

          • Geoff Steele
            Message 5 of 14 , May 2, 2012
              You talking about twist-grip shifters, or the thumb shifters on forward-facing upturned bar ends ?

              To: ryanownersclub@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 14 , May 2, 2012
                Hey Geoff and Tom,

                Nope not the grip shift, the Shimano bar end shifters. The ones on my Vanguard look just like the ones on my Haluzak Horizon and the Horizon is a 9 speed.  I know they make a 7 speed version only but i think it has a grey plastic piece instead of the black plastic piece  on mine. Thanks guys.

                Kelly Fitzhugh

                You talking about twist-grip shifters, or the thumb shifters on forward-facing upturned bar ends ?

                To: ryanownersclub@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 14 , May 2, 2012
                  In either case, I would suggest not. I tried using my 7-speed Shimano bar-end shifters with eight-speed cassette hub, and it sort-of-worked (enough that I could mostly use most gears, but not have accurate shifting). It *might* have worked in index mode, but I never got around to trying it.

                  I have long since sold that shifter set--to someone in England that may have been on this list at the time (or, more likely, the old one on topica before we migrated to yahoo).

                  Tom, aka bikeolounger

                  "If I can bicycle, I bicycle."
                  Sir David Attenborough

                  You talking about twist-grip shifters, or the thumb shifters on forward-facing upturned bar ends ?

                  To: ryanownersclub@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 2, 2012
                    I think I answered this already. I haven't seen the 7-speed version available new in some several years, though it's possible that Microshift has one instead.

                    Tom, aka bikeolounger

                    "If I can bicycle, I bicycle."
                    Sir David Attenborough

                    To: ryanownersclub@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 2, 2012
                      502-241-2440 is the store number (Bluegrass Bicycle, in Crestwood, Kentucky, near to the home of that little horse race this weekend).

                      Tom, aka bikeolounger

                      "If I can bicycle, I bicycle."
                      Sir David Attenborough

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 3, 2012
                        I'm recalling dialog before here on the group site re: difficulties in switching from Dick's original Suntour running gear (i.e. rear cranks, shifters, and front cranks/sprockets) over to Shimano (as technology and time progressed and Suntour went out of business, making spare parts hard to get).  There was considerable gnashing of teeth of an attempt was made to change out ONLY the rear hub, but not the indexed shifters (which also were Suntour, or a 3rd party make that was matched to the Suntour freewheel clusters).  Or, when a rear wheel was rebuilt using a Shimano hub, cluster, and derailleur (in an effort to increase the number of cogs and total gear range from 7 to 8 or 9 gears) and  the shifters were replaced, to match the number of cogs on the freewheel and the new derailleur range.  But the front crank cogs and derailleur were not replaced, perpetuating the dysfunction.

                        Bottom line is that if you're going to switch from old original Suntour gear, the mod has to be a TOTAL migration to whatever system you're going to use (Shimano, Campagnolio, or whatever), including all the major components involved (because all components are 'matched').  The whole system has to match up with itself, because bastardizing together spare parts from three of four different mfgs only creates a continuing performance and maintenance nightmare.

                        And when replacing rear hubs, note carefully the spread distance between the rear chainstays and dropouts.  If the new wheel hub and gear cluster is wider than welds on the Vanguard 'stock' rear-end permit, then very careful bending of the chainstays must be done to spread the dropouts to the required width.

                        Dick Ryan might want to weigh in here with his FAR more experienced advice and counsel.  I believe the later series of Vanguards built by himself and his son, and certainly those made by Longbikes, probably migrated to use of the Shimano hardware 'system' (probably DeOre ??) because Suntour was 'gone'.  In the Shimano thumb shifters, indexing matched the number of gear clusters and the mechanics of the rear derailleur.  And the front cranks and gear cogs matched the left indexed handlebar thumb shifter and front Shimano derailleur mechanics/range.

                        We continue to owe Dick a LOT for creating what is -- without doubt -- the 'premier' human-powered recumbent vehicle, bar none !!  The basic platform (frame) still lends itself to modifications to add shocks; improved running gear; multi-speed rear hubs, etc. to make this outstanding bike even more so...

                        Geoff

                        To: ryanownersclub@yahoogroups.com

                        To: ryanownersclub@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 3, 2012
                          Then it might possibly be only a partial upgrade of components and not the full Monty to a newer, fully integrated Shimano system (i.e. rear hub; rear and front derailleurs; new freewheel with 9 cogs and tighter, indexed shifting; new front cranks with Shimano cogs; etc.).

                          Just a thought.

                          Geoff

                          To: ryanownersclub@yahoogroups.com
                          From: k.fitzhugh@...
                          Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 09:46:10 -0700

                          To: ryanownersclub@yahoogroups.com

                          Thanks for your quick response. Do you have a number I could call to talk to you about the 8 speed freewheel?

                          Kelly Fitzhugh
                          972-974-1651

                          I am wondering if anyone here knows for sure if the Sovos rear hub on the Vanguard is a freewheel or a freehub. I am thinking it is a 7speed freewheel but hoping it is a freehub. It doesn't appear to be a freehub.
                          Thanks in advance for any respones.

                          Kelly Fitzhugh

                        • Happy Home

                            Message 13 of 14 , May 4, 2012
                              Thanks to all,

                              Thanks for the posts on the Sovos hub. The 7 speed freewheel is still working perfectly so I will probably revisit this upgrade at a later date. I will probably upgrade to a Sram shifting system later but for now it is still smooth and reliable and I really like the Shimano bar end shifters. Thanks for the imput guys, I do appreciate it. I am intrigued by the Rohloff 14 speed hub.

                              Kelly Fitzhugh

                              Message 14 of 14 , May 4, 2012
                                Rohloff hub allows you to downshift to low gear while standing still (at a light, etc.).  Makes starting out a lot easier if you got 'trapped' in a high cruise gear before having to make an unexpected stop.  The hubs aren't cheap, though, and my understanding is they can be a maintenance headache if not cared for properly.  "Happy Home" can best comment on this.

                                Geoff

                                To: ryanownersclub@yahoogroups.com
                                From: k.fitzhugh@...
                                Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 11:21:13 -0700