Summer Series #1

  • Gene Gugliotta
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 14, 2006
      The first Summer Series XC race and Youth Series was last night.  Everything went so smoothly and without a hitch that one would never know that the 5K course was measured and finalized just hours before the race.  Everyone involved should exalt praises for the skill and expertise, as well as selfish dedication shown by the race directors and volunteers to make this happen.  Specifically responsible for figuring the course out are Doug Brown, Roger Price, and Chris Lehman.  The reason the course was finalized in the hours before the race is because the park had gone through problems with flooding and a water main break in the week prior to this race.  Add that to the construction and dredging operation in the park, and our experience of running there for a month of Tuesdays before, when we found different construction configurations every week!

      So, unlike past years, the Youth Series races and the Summer Series 5K XC started in the same area, at the "north" end of the park; i.e. towards the right after you drive in.  I remember that the Summer Series started there in the 1980's & 90's, so it was sort of a flashback situation for an aging few of us.

      The Youth Series was fun for all as usual.  Thanks to all the volunteers, parents, and directors Rosemarie and Mark Strawn.

      The 5K XC followed.  From a parent's perspective, I think it was GREAT that both races started in the same area.  It as so much easier than having to get to the other end of the park for the 5K after helping out and watching the Youth races.  I can't remember the last time I was actually entered early and warmed up properly for the Summer Series!  It allowed volunteers to easily work both races, and it allowed all those impressionable young kids see that adults can continue to enjoy this sport throughout their lives.  The course was still basically a two lap affair, but it overlapped the central gathering area four times, because of the placement of the starting line and a quick loopback at the end.  Like international cross-country events, it allowed spectators to stay in one place and cheer for people four times.  Since the hills were at a different point in the race that I was used to, I learned quickly that I went out too fast, drawn into it by the early flats.  My slightly sub-6 minute first mile slowed to an average of 6:23 by the end of the race!  I wonder how many other runners experienced such a steep learning curve last night.....  We will see if we can hold that first mile in check and run faster on June 27th!

      Again, thanks to the many unnamed volunteers, and race directors Doug and Janice, to Bob Hopkins for his tireless bar-b-que grilling prowess, and to all the runners who ran the race.

      Results at compuscore here:  http://www.compuscore.com/cs2006/june/rvrr11.htm

    • Rosemarie I. Strawn, MBA - Positive Acti
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 17, 2006
        Mark and I definitely prefer both races co-located since it was much easier to register for the adult race after working the youth race... We didn't have to rush over to the adults race because we can see what was going on and how close they were in getting started... Also, the bathrooms are close for the adults for last minute usage... The two race groups can share utensils, pizzas and volunteers much easier...

        Share Some Cheer,
        Rosemarie I. Strawn, MBA
        Corporate Trainer & Motivational Speaker
        Positive Actions
        "Team Productivity Training"
        www.positiveactions.com

        ristrawn@...
        Tel: 732.463.5905
        76 Park Ave.
        Piscataway, NJ 08854

        Who do you know that needs a Motivational Speaker and Trainer?  Positive Actions motivates teams to boost productivity and profits through Training Seminars, Motivational Speeches, Public Speaking Coaching & Team Facilitation

        "Thank you for your wonderful seminar on Public Speaking. My group of trainers as well as myself learned so much from the exercises. We all felt empowered and more confident in our training capabilities." - L. Rones, Nordstrom Regional Director

        Get 10% Off Your First Service Contract & Ezine

        View a 5-min video of "Public Speaking" Workshop

        NJAWBO

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 15, 2010
          Somehow the results posted on Compuscore are wrong...
        • Ray Petit
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 15, 2010

            I agree. My time is off by over a minute- in the wrong direction.

            Somehow the results posted on Compuscore are wrong...

          • Christopher B.
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 15, 2010
              I have the results sheets from the van which appear correct. It looks like the online results are all about 1:17 slower.

              I'm sure Compuscore Dave will fix them shortly.

              Chris

              --- In rvrr@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Petit" <raypetit@...> wrote:

              > I agree. My time is off by over a minute- in the wrong direction.

            • Dave Schatz
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 15, 2010
                Christine,

                How did Compuscore mess up on the results for you?  Is it your time, place, or both?  I did not look at the race results that were hung up on the wall but did look up when I crossed and thought I broke 22.00 at the finish line time display.  So Compuscore shows a slower time of at least 30 seconds for me.  Sorry this is not helpful for you.

                On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 10:10 PM, serenechristine1 <christine_appel_1@...> wrote:

                Somehow the results posted on Compuscore are wrong...

              • Bill Hulbert
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 16, 2010
                  Mine and the other guys up front seem right, are they fixed now??

                  5K Results - http://www.compuscore.com/cs2010/june/rvrr1.htm
                  2.5K Results - http://www.compuscore.com/cs2010/june/rvrr1kid.htm

                  -Bill

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 16, 2010

                  • christine_appel_1@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 16, 2010
                      Yes, results look right now!

                      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 16, 2010

                        My results are now correct.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 12, 2012
                          Great race and it really wasn't raining for the start and most of the time we were out there running! Thanks again to Doug, Janice, and all the volunteers!

                        • Denise Carlson
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 13, 2012

                            I am in statistician's heaven, Gene!  thanks for all the hard work.  Just returned from India; it was 115 degrees for 4 straight days.
                            NJ heat seems like nothing now.  Miss you guys.......Hope to see you when triathlon season is over.  Denise Carlson, Hillsborough

                            Great race and it really wasn't raining for the start and most of the time we were out there running! Thanks again to Doug, Janice, and all the volunteers!

                          • Imme Dyson
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 13, 2012
                              I was seriously considering to have a quiet supper at home instead but it turned out so much fun. Not to be missed. Unfortunately, I am away for the next one. Thanks , Janice and Doug.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 13, 2012

                                I don't know about the stats thing....  and it wasn't me who did any work...  thank the race crew, though!

                                On Jun 13, 2012 7:03 AM, "Denise Carlson" <dndgalleries2001@...> wrote:

                                I am in statistician's heaven, Gene!  thanks for all the hard work.  Just returned from India; it was 115 degrees for 4 straight days.
                                NJ heat seems like nothing now.  Miss you guys.......Hope to see you when triathlon season is over.  Denise Carlson, Hillsborough

                                Great race and it really wasn't raining for the start and most of the time we were out there running! Thanks again to Doug, Janice, and all the volunteers!

                              • Martin
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 13, 2012
                                  Thank you RVRR for putting on this race it was fun I will return.

                                  And so what if it was raining. XC is run in the rain. I like running in the rain.

                                  By the way thanks for starting at 7:07. Between getting out of work late, the rain, traffic I would have missed the 7:00 start.