My dad would have loved this pie..Coconut-Pecan German Chocolate Pie Recipe | Taste of Home

  • valledecalle
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 29, 2017

      His love of sugar most likely helped cause his heart problems.
      My mom was a superb cook and baker.

      We don't use cane sugar, only maple, raw honey, some coconut, but very very little of any of them.
      We use Stevia but not in baking.
      What do you use?

      My big treat is a one inch square of stevia sweetened dark chocolate with almonds.

      I find organic wild blue berries are great no added sweetness.

      Regular pie and other desserts are too sweet anymore.

      Anyone else not use sugar?

      http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/coconut-pecan-german-chocolate-pie?pmcode=IT7JJZ101&_cmp=RecipeOfTheDay&_ebid=RecipeOfTheDay4/29/2017&_mid=146465&ehid=40bda5b249fae75e06d11b499f59cb8723004906

    • jtillma@columbus.rr.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 30, 2017
        I use maple ,raw local honey, molasses, and treva

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 30, 2017
          Good choices, minerals and vitamins. But the body processes it the same as cane sugar. It can still cause inflammation.

          Just read about sugar and heart disease.
          I may make this once in my life. Mom made the most wonderful German Chocolate cake.

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 30, 2017
            Mm spell check does not like treva

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 30, 2017
              That has maltodexin and that is a regular sugar. And is very bad for the gut.

              And that is why it can be used cup for cup.

              They fooled me also. And most stevia has natural flavors added. We buy organic stevia.

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 30, 2017
                  How do you bake with it? On the way to the PO Box we order the organic stuff, down to $14.95 on line.

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 1, 2017

                    I don't eat wheat, and try to stay away from grains in general. We just don't bake.

                  Message 9 of 15 , May 1, 2017
                    We just ordered Einkorn, an Italian wheat that is very clean, and rotated crop wise.

                    Ordered two cookbooks also.
                    I want to try to raise some, my  hubs the former farm boy thinks I am nuts.

                    I am willing to try.

                    Calle

                    Message 10 of 15 , May 1, 2017
                      I use mesquite flour when I make cornbread

                      Message 11 of 15 , May 1, 2017
                        So where to you buy it. I bought some green banana flour and forgot it in the city.

                        Message 12 of 15 , May 1, 2017
                          I order it online

                          Message 13 of 15 , May 1, 2017

                            So what is it made of? Isn't it a plant?

                            Message 14 of 15 , May 2, 2017
                              Mesquite beans  they grow on the mesquite tree.

                              Message 15 of 15 , May 2, 2017
                                Okay, will have to research, so interesting.