Long Walk Home?

  • billupherestill
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 6, 2012
      Curious why this cut is in the Archives on a tentative ATGR track list as well as other places, but no recordings or lyrics came out for it in Archives I. Anyone know if it actually was recorded or played anywhere? The Life version's lyrics had some newer references that must have updated from the original ones. Does anyone have the ATGR album lyric insert with the list of songs that didn't make it...I remember Big Waves and Wonderin' on the list, but not the rest.

      Bill UpHereStill
    • notbedenied1
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 6, 2012
        This is one of my posts on that subject and others:

        here were some "blatant" omissions like Out On The Weekend and The Losing
        End for the released, and High School Graduation, for the unreleased...

        > > Also from an historical perspective (my preferred field),the Archives
        selected tracks list at the end of the Journal seems very detailed for the technical
        information, but it presents some incongruencies and problems of interpretation
        for the rest of the information. For example, Big Waves or Long Walk Home aren't
        listed at all , but I Need Her Love to Get By is listed.What is the archival and
        historical reason for the different treatment and consideration of these songs?
        Big Waves was written, but not recorded, anyway it's not listed at all.Long Walk
        Home wasn't listed too, but it's on many tracklists for the several "stages" of
        the After THe Gold Rush album, but eventually it didn't make the record. I think that from
        the beginning Joel Bernstein could have solved easily all these things and give us a
        little more information concerning these old issues. After all, this is an
        archive destinated to hardcore fans,isn't it? In my local newspaper, on December
        1989 it was announced that The Archives project was slated for a 1990
        release.So there was a lot of time for fixing all these little details...

        --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, "billupherestill" <spragueb@...> wrote:

        > Curious why this cut is in the Archives on a tentative ATGR track list as well as other places, but no recordings or lyrics came out for it in Archives I. Anyone know if it actually was recorded or played anywhere? The Life version's lyrics had some newer references that must have updated from the original ones. Does anyone have the ATGR album lyric insert with the list of songs that didn't make it...I remember Big Waves and Wonderin' on the list, but not the rest.
        >
        > Bill UpHereStill

      • Peter
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 6, 2012
          there may be an explanation for this. Neil has been known to put songs together from different parts of different songs (and the other way around).
          Also he has used parts of songs in different released songs (not to mention melodies... but that's another subject).
          In his early years there were more 'unfinished' or 'work-in-progress' songs than later I guess (according to the speed of writing, recording, releasing nowadays compared to 30 years back).

          So it is of course possible some songs that some of these titles, though written down as possibilities for a track selection of, in this case, ATR, that these were songs that
          - have gotten a new title (Big Waves > Powderfinger?)
          - were never recorded (I Need Your Love To Get By) or were not finished yet (Long Walk Home?)
          - have evolved (partially) into other songs

          I agree it would be nice to have some info regarding the why's and how's to these kind of decisions.
          In my view, it would be nice if the Archives - online probably this may be easier - could provide an insight in as to what album-concepts (incl. possible artwork) Neil was working on during the years. And that the user could see tracklist, eventually play them in the order they had been considered. This would give the user the experience of following the creative proces from nearby. It would mean a layer in the archives that is really worthwile imo.

          groeten, Peter

          Op w. 36, 06 sep 2012, om 16:15 heeft notbedenied1 het volgende geschreven:

          This is one of my posts on that subject and others:

          here were some "blatant" omissions like Out On The Weekend and The Losing
          End for the released, and High School Graduation, for the unreleased...

          >> Also from an historical perspective (my preferred field),the Archives
          selected tracks list at the end of the Journal seems very detailed for the technical
          information, but it presents some incongruencies and problems of interpretation
          for the rest of the information. For example, Big Waves or Long Walk Home aren't
          listed at all , but I Need Her Love to Get By is listed.What is the archival and
          historical reason for the different treatment and consideration of these songs?
          Big Waves was written, but not recorded, anyway it's not listed at all.Long Walk
          Home wasn't listed too, but it's on many tracklists for the several "stages" of
          the After THe Gold Rush album, but eventually it didn't make the record. I think that from
          the beginning Joel Bernstein could have solved easily all these things and give us a
          little more information concerning these old issues. After all, this is an
          archive destinated to hardcore fans,isn't it? In my local newspaper, on December
          1989 it was announced that The Archives project was slated for a 1990
          release.So there was a lot of time for fixing all these little details...

          >> Andrea."So Tired".

          --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, "billupherestill" <spragueb@...> wrote:

          > Curious why this cut is in the Archives on a tentative ATGR track list as well as other places, but no recordings or lyrics came out for it in Archives I. Anyone know if it actually was recorded or played anywhere? The Life version's lyrics had some newer references that must have updated from the original ones. Does anyone have the ATGR album lyric insert with the list of songs that didn't make it...I remember Big Waves and Wonderin' on the list, but not the rest.
          >
          > Bill UpHereStill

        • Ron Starrett
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 6, 2012
            I do hear Long Walk Home within Slowly Burning...give it a close listen.

            Ron

            Welcome to Miami Beach people.....
            everything is cheaper than it looks.

[...]
            hese kind of decisions.
            n my view, it would be nice if the Archives - online probably this may be
            asier - could provide an insight in as to what album-concepts (incl. possible
            rtwork) Neil was working on during the years. And that the user could see
            racklist, eventually play them in the order they had been considered. This
            ould give the user the experience of following the creative proces from nearby.
            t would mean a layer in the archives that is really worthwile imo.
            groeten, Peter

            Op w. 36, 06 sep 2012, om 16:15 heeft notbedenied1 het volgende geschreven:
            This is one of my posts on that subject and others:
            here were some "blatant" omissions like Out On The Weekend and The Losing
            nd for the released, and High School Graduation, for the unreleased...

            > Also from an historical perspective (my preferred field),the Archives
            elected tracks list at the end of the Journal seems very detailed for the
            echnical
            nformation, but it presents some incongruencies and problems of interpretation
            or the rest of the information. For example, Big Waves or Long Walk Home aren't
            isted at all , but I Need Her Love to Get By is listed.What is the archival and
            istorical reason for the different treatment and consideration of these songs?
            ig Waves was written, but not recorded, anyway it's not listed at all.Long Walk
            ome wasn't listed too, but it's on many tracklists for the several "stages" of
            he After THe Gold Rush album, but eventually it didn't make the record. I think
            hat from
            he beginning Joel Bernstein could have solved easily all these things and give
            s a

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 6, 2012
              you're right, I know. I forgot, I'm getting old.
              That's one of those cases where he took a part of one song and made it into another. I like Slowly Burning a LOT, to me it's the twin sister of Expecting to Fly. Obviously orchestrated by Jack Nitszche. And my guess is that's why he didn't release it then.
              So there you have a reason why...

              groeten, Peter

              Op w. 36, 06 sep 2012, om 16:34 heeft Ron Starrett het volgende geschreven:

              (Yahoo! ID required)

              rust-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
            • notbedenied1
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 6, 2012
                During an interview with Broken Arrow (1989 or something), Neil said that Slowly Burning has "now" words. Furthermore, Slowly Burning begat the still unreleased "Letter from 'Nam" (Shakey biograph, 620 n).

                So Tired.

                --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, Peter <peterhhmm@...> wrote:

                > you're right, I know. I forgot, I'm getting old.
                > That's one of those cases where he took a part of one song and made it into another. I like Slowly Burning a LOT, to me it's the twin sister of Expecting to Fly. Obviously orchestrated by Jack Nitszche. And my guess is that's why he didn't release it then.
                > So there you have a reason why...
                >
                > groeten, Peter

              • Joe
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 6, 2012
                  100 percent agree these were totally uncalled for omissions i remember
                  getting the archives and wondering where the hell the losing end was.

                  Theyve been working on these archives forever seems like they could
                  of explained all this stuff better.