Re: Neil at 26th Annual Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony

  • reg_57042
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 15 7:28 AM
      From the news...

      Waits - a previous winner of Grammy Awards for his albums Bone Machine
      and Mule Variations - joked that his rock hall trophy was heavy and
      wondered if he could have a key-chain version "that I can keep with me
      in case I hear somebody say, 'Pete, take the cuffs off him. He's a Hall
      of Famer."'

      He described songs as "just very interesting things to be doing with the
      air." and drew laughs from the audience saying: "They say that I have no
      hits and that I'm difficult to work with. And they say that like it's a
      bad thing."

      He also recalled how, at age 15, he had snuck in to see a Lightnin'
      Hopkins show by putting "Wite-Out in my hair and drawing on a
      moustache".

      Waits compared his induction to receiving the key to the city of El
      Paso: "They told me there was only one but I found out there were a
      whole bunch of them, and they didn't open anything.

    • kurt_bevaqua
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 15 10:22 AM
        Of course, even when the Hall of Lame gets it right, they get it wrong. Why is Leon Russell just in as a "sideman"? If anything, Darlene Love should be a sideman as the majority of her career was as a studio session singer, but they don't wanna piss off Springsteen so she gets in while Leon gets dissed.

        --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, "reg_57042" <reg_57042@...> wrote:

        > From the news...
        >
        > Waits - a previous winner of Grammy Awards for his albums Bone Machine
        > and Mule Variations - joked that his rock hall trophy was heavy and
        > wondered if he could have a key-chain version "that I can keep with me
        > in case I hear somebody say, 'Pete, take the cuffs off him. He's a Hall
        > of Famer."'
        >
        > He described songs as "just very interesting things to be doing with the
        > air." and drew laughs from the audience saying: "They say that I have no
        > hits and that I'm difficult to work with. And they say that like it's a
        > bad thing."
        >
        > He also recalled how, at age 15, he had snuck in to see a Lightnin'
        > Hopkins show by putting "Wite-Out in my hair and drawing on a
        > moustache".
        >
        > Waits compared his induction to receiving the key to the city of El
        > Paso: "They told me there was only one but I found out there were a
        > whole bunch of them, and they didn't open anything.

      • echo2717
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 15 11:10 AM
          --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, "kurt_bevaqua" <kurt_bevaqua@...> wrote:

          > Of course, even when the Hall of Lame gets it right, they get it wrong. Why is Leon Russell just in as a "sideman"? If anything, Darlene Love should be a sideman as the majority of her career was as a studio session singer, but they don't wanna piss off Springsteen so she gets in while Leon gets dissed.

          Considering the caliber of folks he was a sideman with (Hal Blaine, Carol Kaye etc.) he's likely very proud of the honor.

          Be nice if he made it as a solo artist now...
        • Johnny 4224
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 15 1:54 PM
            --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, "echo2717" <Echo2717@...> wrote:

            > --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, "kurt_bevaqua" <kurt_bevaqua@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Of course, even when the Hall of Lame gets it right, they get it wrong. Why is Leon Russell just in as a "sideman"? If anything, Darlene Love should be a sideman as the majority of her career was as a studio session singer, but they don't wanna piss off Springsteen so she gets in while Leon gets dissed.
            > >

            > Considering the caliber of folks he was a sideman with (Hal Blaine, Carol Kaye etc.) he's likely very proud of the honor.
            >
            > Be nice if he made it as a solo artist now...

            actually the catch-all "sideman" category was canned for the new
            catch-all "musical excellence" category. even though its just feeding at the corporate trough, its good to see leon get recognized while he is still around to enjoy it. now if the rrhof suits and suitettes can even hear about this band los lobos....
            <peace>b
          • mike
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 15 4:43 PM
              Neil inducting Tom:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmI3EC1ElOc

              Mike
              "borrowed time"

            • kurt_bevaqua
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 15 6:14 PM
                Los Lobos! agreed!

                --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, "Johnny 4224" <zuma_aiko@...> wrote:

                > --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, "echo2717" <Echo2717@> wrote:
                > >

                > > --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, "kurt_bevaqua" <kurt_bevaqua@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Of course, even when the Hall of Lame gets it right, they get it wrong. Why is Leon Russell just in as a "sideman"? If anything, Darlene Love should be a sideman as the majority of her career was as a studio session singer, but they don't wanna piss off Springsteen so she gets in while Leon gets dissed.
                > > >

                > > Considering the caliber of folks he was a sideman with (Hal Blaine, Carol Kaye etc.) he's likely very proud of the honor.
                > >
                > > Be nice if he made it as a solo artist now...
                > >

                > actually the catch-all "sideman" category was canned for the new
                > catch-all "musical excellence" category. even though its just feeding at the corporate trough, its good to see leon get recognized while he is still around to enjoy it. now if the rrhof suits and suitettes can even hear about this band los lobos....
                > <peace>b

              • cosplusisin
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 15 6:19 PM
                  thanks for the link!

                  very cool.

                  --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, mike <MrBtee@...> wrote:

                  > Neil inducting Tom:
                  > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmI3EC1ElOc
                  >
                  > Mike
                  > "borrowed time"

                • Thomas Osburn
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 15 8:04 PM
                    What about Carol King she should have been in with the first group, there are bands in with just 1 or 2 records that were released, Tapestry has a home in almost everyones house.
                    > > > Of course, even when the Hall of Lame gets it right, they get it wrong. Why is Leon Russell just in as a "sideman"? If anything, Darlene Love should be a sideman as the majority of her career was as a studio session singer, but they don't wanna piss off Springsteen so she gets in while Leon gets dissed.
                    > > >

                    > > Considering the caliber of folks he was a sideman with (Hal Blaine, Carol Kaye etc.) he's likely very proud of the honor.
                    > >
                    > > Be nice if he made it as a solo artist now...
                    > >

                    > actually the catch-all "sideman" category was canned for the new
                    > catch-all "musical excellence" category. even though its just feeding at the corporate trough, its good to see leon get recognized while he is still around to enjoy it. now if the rrhof suits and suitettes can even hear about this band los lobos....
                    > <peace>b

                  • kurt_bevaqua
                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 15 8:56 PM
                      another good one!

                      > What about Carol King she should have been in with the first group, there are bands in with just 1 or 2 records that were released, Tapestry has a home in almost everyones house.

                    • Stringman
                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 16 12:17 AM
                        Thanks for the link.

                        2 memorable quotes (for me) from Tom Waits

                        "we all love music but we want music to love us"

                        "We are still on the right side of the dirt" (referring to the living musicians present)

                        Stringman

                        --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, mike <MrBtee@...> wrote:

                        > Neil inducting Tom:
                        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmI3EC1ElOc
                        >
                        > Mike
                        > "borrowed time"

                      • julesalexgray
                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 16 2:02 AM
                          --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Osburn" wrote:

                          > What about Carole King she should have been in with the first
                          > group, there are bands in with just 1 or 2 records that were
                          > released, Tapestry has a home in almost everyones house.

                          Not to mention the previous ten years she spent writing top flight pop singles with Gerry Goffin or Toni Stern. The woman's made a huge contribution.

                          Decade
                        • Thomas Osburn
                          Message 12 of 28 , Mar 16 7:57 AM
                            Thats my point they put her in as a songwriter instead of giving her the whole treatment, the Byrds went to her several times for songs.

                            Message 13 of 28 , Mar 16 8:03 AM
                              --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Osburn" wrote:

                              > the Byrds went to her several times for songs.

                              The Byrds covered just two Goffin/King songs (Goin' Back and wasn't Born To Follow). To my knowledge, the group did not approach her for songs directly. I think both songs had been covered already and McGuinn was taken with them.

                              Decade
                            • mike
                              Message 14 of 28 , Mar 16 8:12 AM
                                Thanks to Raindog"matchman"...

                                1:
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcFUR3Cakoc

                                2:
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfvLdZCeXEU

                                with Neil 3:
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M1eUfnDIas

                                Mike
                                "borrowed time"

                              • Johnny 4224
                                Message 15 of 28 , Mar 16 9:46 AM
                                  carole king already inducted into rrhof
                                  <peace>b

                                  --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, "kurt_bevaqua" <kurt_bevaqua@...> wrote:

                                  > another good one!

                                • Thomas Osburn
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Mar 16 2:42 PM
                                    Song writing only, she has 115 songs on the Billboard top 100. What if Neil was inducted just as a guitar player how would you feel.s
                                    > > What about Carol King she should have been in with the first group, there are bands in with just 1 or 2 records that were released, Tapestry has a home in almost everyones house.

                                  • Johnny 4224
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Mar 16 4:31 PM
                                      if she has 115 songs on the billboard top 100 then they pegged her
                                      good and proper as a songwriter. it is a very good thing that there is no pop quiz to have to name them.
                                      if neil would have been inducted just as a guitar player then he should be grateful he is in the house.
                                      there are plenty more artists/musicians/songwriters that probably
                                      will not live to see their day much less get it while still topside.
                                      <peace>b

                                      > Song writing only, she has 115 songs on the Billboard top 100. What if Neil was inducted just as a guitar player how would you feel.s

                                    • Thomas Osburn
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Mar 16 7:00 PM
                                        She also hax 26 albums including one that was oin the charts for 6 years and is one of the top 5 selling records ever she has sold more records then Neil.
                                        if she has 115 songs on the billboard top 100 then they pegged her
                                        good and proper as a songwriter. it is a very good thing that there is no pop quiz to have to name them.
                                        if neil would have been inducted just as a guitar player then he should be grateful he is in the house.
                                        there are plenty more artists/musicians/songwriters that probably
                                        will not live to see their day much less get it while still topside.
                                        <peace>b

                                        > Song writing only, she has 115 songs on the Billboard top 100. What if Neil was inducted just as a guitar player how would you feel.s

                                      • Johnny 4224
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Mar 17 9:36 AM
                                          no doubt she is a talented musician; but sorry to harsh
                                          your mellow, she sorta sailed on by me. now if
                                          someone with a gun said "listen to this or else" or
                                          one of her songs came up on the only am station while
                                          travelling through bumfuck, egypt, i'd have no choice.
                                          <peace>b

                                          > She also hax 26 albums including one that was oin the charts for 6 years and is one of the top 5 selling records ever she has sold more records then Neil.

                                        • Thomas Osburn
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Mar 17 10:22 AM
                                            Not a matter ofbliking or not, you may not like the Beatles but you have to put them ihn the hall same with CK.
                                            no doubt she is a talented musician; but sorry to harsh
                                            your mellow, she sorta sailed on by me. now if
                                            someone with a gun said "listen to this or else" or
                                            one of her songs came up on the only am station while
                                            travelling through bumfuck, egypt, i'd have no choice.
                                            <peace>b

                                            > She also hax 26 albums including one that was oin the charts for 6 years and is one of the top 5 selling records ever she has sold more records then Neil.

                                          • Johnny 4224
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Mar 17 11:16 AM
                                              what about not caring. does that count?

                                              she is in already. plenty of others that
                                              deserve it but have been overlooked. after
                                              all are in, then go back and do the doubling up.
                                              <peace>b

                                              > Not a matter ofbliking or not, you may not like the Beatles but you have to put them ihn the hall same with CK.

                                            • julesalexgray
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Mar 17 11:32 AM
                                                --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, "Johnny 4224" <zuma_aiko@...> wrote:

                                                > what about not caring. does that count?

                                                By heck, Bill, has someone been putting too much salt in your porridge this morning? ;-)

                                                Decade of caring
                                              • Thomas Osburn
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Mar 17 11:35 AM
                                                  Lets revoke Clapton twice, even things up.
                                                  she is in already. plenty of others that
                                                  deserve it but have been overlooked. after
                                                  all are in, then go back and do the doubling up.
                                                  <peace>b

                                                  > Not a matter ofbliking or not, you may not like the Beatles but you have to put them ihn the hall same with CK.

                                                • Johnny 4224
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Mar 17 11:53 AM
                                                    --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, "julesalexgray" <julesalexgray@...> wrote:

                                                    > --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, "Johnny 4224" <zuma_aiko@> wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > what about not caring. does that count?
                                                    >
                                                    > By heck, Bill, has someone been putting too much salt in your porridge this morning? ;-)
                                                    >
                                                    > Decade of caring

                                                    its too late baby. just not groovin with carole.
                                                    always a lack of resonation when that happens.
                                                    and the same malaise with simon and garfunkel.
                                                    pass the marmite
                                                    <peace>b
                                                  • reg_57042
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Mar 17 4:59 PM