Re: My lunch with Mazzeo

  • Charles
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 16, 2011
      Yeah,

      Mazz is a really cool and friendly fellow. Lou Cheffy arranged a group luncheon with him and a tour of his Santa Cruz gallery. Paul is right. Mazz's life should be writtne up, published and then produced into a feature movie. The Skyline Blvd commune days with neighbor Neil Young are especially entertaining. I think anyone can see the pics here:

      http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2006596&id=1055898803&l=b8e9e2ea6e

      Beyond that, last September i had the special treat of accompanying Fountainbleu to a breakfast meeting with Mazz in Venice Beach. A fine time was had by all.

      Mazz is the best. he is accessible and always willing to create a work of art for you. Check out Joel's site on acquiring a work for yourself. http://www.destineliteposters.com/page7.htm

      --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, "greystoke20032004" <greystoke20032004@...> wrote:

      > Last Friday, I bought James Mazzeo lunch in Santa Cruz. I met with him to get Meleya and I a signed print of Zuma Triptych, which I wanted to give to my girl for valentine's. And what a lunch it was - two hours of tales of Mazzeo's adventures in life. A biography should be issued, though Mazz says he's still got a lot of stuff to do. Mazz told me, everything that he did or had happened fell right into his lap, and he's "never been caught": from being a beatnik artist and coast guard member in the early 60's; meeting and taking acid with Margo St James, Alan Watts, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, and others; starting his own psychedelic light show in the early-mid 60's, being "managed" by the notorious Matthew Katz, and his adventures with Moby Grape, and The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band, who he travelled with to Chicago in a cold winter, then on his own, to NYC, and then to Boston; during those 60's days, meeting the Doors, Janis, Bill Graham, (and a certain Neil Young); then on to resident artist with his friend McLean in Cambridge and Harvard U; then on to Road Manager to CSNY, then The Band (he is Sandy Castle in the credits on The Last Waltz); along the way, he is friends (and more) with Sally Grossman, The Band, and how Dylan is one of the few people that makes him "nervous" because he is so weird; introduces the members of The Band to Neil Young (OTB recording in Zuma CA); friend with Ron Wood in '78 and other tales (after I gave him a Stones '78 bootleg); then on to present day, as a wandering nomad and still having a hell of a time, hanging out with Lee Michaels present day in Venice Beach (ha, Nan - weren't we just talking about Lee Michaels -"Frosty"), and so much more. I hope to definitely get more time with Mazz again.
      >
      > paul dionne

    • Sharry Wilson
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 16, 2011
        Chuck N. wrote:
        <snip>
        >>Paul is right. Mazz's life should be writtne up, published and then produced into a feature movie.

        I think someone is working on Mazz's biography. I remember Mazz mentioning this to me a while back. I agree that his life would make a great read.

        Sharry (Up in T.O. keepin' jive alive)

      • Stringman
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 16, 2011
          Next time someone is meeting Mazz ask him about his trip with Neil to Australia in 1989. He has some very innaresting stories to tell, especially about Darwin!! :)

          Stringman

          --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, "Charles" <sixty_2_zero@...> wrote:

          > Yeah,
          >
          > Mazz is a really cool and friendly fellow. Lou Cheffy arranged a group luncheon with him and a tour of his Santa Cruz gallery. Paul is right. Mazz's life should be writtne up, published and then produced into a feature movie. The Skyline Blvd commune days with neighbor Neil Young are especially entertaining. I think anyone can see the pics here:
          >
          > http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2006596&id=1055898803&l=b8e9e2ea6e
          >
          > Beyond that, last September i had the special treat of accompanying Fountainbleu to a breakfast meeting with Mazz in Venice Beach. A fine time was had by all.
          >
          > Mazz is the best. he is accessible and always willing to create a work of art for you. Check out Joel's site on acquiring a work for yourself. http://www.destineliteposters.com/page7.htm
          >

          > --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, "greystoke20032004" <greystoke20032004@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Last Friday, I bought James Mazzeo lunch in Santa Cruz. I met with him to get Meleya and I a signed print of Zuma Triptych, which I wanted to give to my girl for valentine's. And what a lunch it was - two hours of tales of Mazzeo's adventures in life. A biography should be issued, though Mazz says he's still got a lot of stuff to do. Mazz told me, everything that he did or had happened fell right into his lap, and he's "never been caught": from being a beatnik artist and coast guard member in the early 60's; meeting and taking acid with Margo St James, Alan Watts, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, and others; starting his own psychedelic light show in the early-mid 60's, being "managed" by the notorious Matthew Katz, and his adventures with Moby Grape, and The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band, who he travelled with to Chicago in a cold winter, then on his own, to NYC, and then to Boston; during those 60's days, meeting the Doors, Janis, Bill Graham, (and a certain Neil Young); then on to resident artist with his friend McLean in Cambridge and Harvard U; then on to Road Manager to CSNY, then The Band (he is Sandy Castle in the credits on The Last Waltz); along the way, he is friends (and more) with Sally Grossman, The Band, and how Dylan is one of the few people that makes him "nervous" because he is so weird; introduces the members of The Band to Neil Young (OTB recording in Zuma CA); friend with Ron Wood in '78 and other tales (after I gave him a Stones '78 bootleg); then on to present day, as a wandering nomad and still having a hell of a time, hanging out with Lee Michaels present day in Venice Beach (ha, Nan - weren't we just talking about Lee Michaels -"Frosty"), and so much more. I hope to definitely get more time with Mazz again.
          > >
          > > paul dionne

        • julesalexgray
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 17, 2011
            --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, "shmucking" <shmucking@...> wrote:

            > His cover for the Zuma album is classic. It fits the music
            > perfectly. The music and the album cover are inseperable.

            God yeah, I just can't hear songs like Looking For A Love or Pardon My Heart without images of cartoon flying women with massive norks filling my head. ;-)

            Decade of norks
          • Boogaloo on the Bungalow
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 17, 2011
              Hi Jules, after the melancholy of TTN and OTB, Zuma was like getting back into the sunshine again (even though some of the lyrics are still troubled, I think there's a sense of peacefulness). And the record cover reflects that. The earthiness and warmth of the artwork (and the flying woman with the massive norks) reflects the music.

              Ian
              silver wings of morning

              --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, "julesalexgray" <julesalexgray@...> wrote:

              > --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, "shmucking" <shmucking@> wrote:
              > >
              > > His cover for the Zuma album is classic. It fits the music
              > > perfectly. The music and the album cover are inseperable.
              >
              > God yeah, I just can't hear songs like Looking For A Love or Pardon My Heart without images of cartoon flying women with massive norks filling my head. ;-)
            • dialacrocdundee
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 17, 2011
                Hey! My Zuma cover only has a massive stork. Where the norks?

                Massive? Must be a folding version I missed??

                Nick

                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 17, 2011
                  --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, <shmucking@...> wrote:

                  > Zuma was like getting back into the sunshine again (even
                  > though some of the lyrics are still troubled, I think there's
                  > a sense of peacefulness). And the record cover reflects that.

                  I'm with you Ian. And what says "peaceful" more than a flying woman with enormous norks? Pretty much nothing.

                  :-)

                  Decade
                • Powderfinger1010
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 17, 2011
                    For those of you on FB:

                    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1275154278484&set=a.1229910267412.2035717.1218766500

                    Rick A
                    Chrome it if you own it...

                    --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, "julesalexgray" <julesalexgray@...> wrote:

                    > --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, <shmucking@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Zuma was like getting back into the sunshine again (even
                    > > though some of the lyrics are still troubled, I think there's
                    > > a sense of peacefulness). And the record cover reflects that.
                    >
                    > I'm with you Ian. And what says "peaceful" more than a flying woman with enormous norks? Pretty much nothing.
                    >
                    > :-)
                    >
                    > Decade

                  • Boogaloo on the Bungalow
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 17, 2011
                      The flying women reminds me of the song Danger Bird. I wonder if that was Mazzeo's intention?

                      Ian
                      silver wings of morning

                      --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, "julesalexgray" <julesalexgray@...> wrote:

                      > --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, <shmucking@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Zuma was like getting back into the sunshine again (even
                      > > though some of the lyrics are still troubled, I think there's
                      > > a sense of peacefulness). And the record cover reflects that.
                      >
                      > I'm with you Ian. And what says "peaceful" more than a flying woman with enormous norks? Pretty much nothing.
                      >
                      > :-)
                    • julesalexgray
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 18, 2011
                        --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, <shmucking@...> wrote:

                        > The flying women reminds me of the song Danger Bird.
                        > I wonder if that was Mazzeo's intention?

                        It seems to me, and tell me if I'm way off beam here, it seems to me that Mazz's intention was to render a big bird carrying a woman, and that further, his intention was that said woman should have substantial norks.

                        :-)

                        Decade
                      • Wanda Cook
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 18, 2011
                          I love Zuma and I don't care about her norks; it's her huge schnozzola and uneven ass that really get my goat. But I really like how she and the bird have the same arm/wing position goin' on.

                          Wanda
                          casualize your mind
                          2/6/08 my 1st listen to Zuma
                        • dialacrocdundee
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 18, 2011
                            It seems to me , from local observations, birds with big norks are indeed....Danger birds.

                            Mazz must have seen Dundee at night in a vision.

                            Nick