Re: Top Ten not Neil

  • dialacrocdundee
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2010
      --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <sleeptalker@...> wrote:

      > So many songs - hard to just pick ten, but here goes;
      >
      > Otis Redding - Dock of The Bay
      > The Kinks - Waterloo Sunset
      > The Beatles - In My Life
      > Allman Brothers Band - Dreams
      > The Who - I Can See For Miles
      > Graeme Connors - North
      > Bruce Springsteen - Ain't Good Enough For You
      > Jimmy Webb - Wichita Linesman
      > Jimi Hendix - The Wind Cries Mary
      > John Hiatt - Crossing Muddy Waters

      Great lists! fun to read as the snow piles up over our house and cars...

      I would have most of the above on my bigger list. Never heard north though...interesting!
    • poem_rust
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2010
        Changes - Bowie
        Little Red Corvette - Prince
        One - U2
        Tiny Dancer - Elton John
        Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix
        Ain't That Enough - Teenage Fanclub
        Wooden Ships - CSN
        I'd Run Away - Jayhawks
        Clouds - Joni Mitchell
        A Day in the Life - Beatles

        Pontus
      • Thomas Osburn
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2010
          No top 10 list is complete without Marvins WGO, no one can cover that song.
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2010
            Yes, that's a one-of-a-kind, classic song. That whole album (What Goes On) flows together really well. One song blending into the other.

            Ian
            silver wings of morning

            --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Osburn" <thomas_osburn_298@...> wrote:

            > No top 10 list is complete without Marvins WGO, no one can cover that song.
          • billupherestill
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 8, 2010
              Very late to the party but...
              Pondering some overlooked but also well known choices that always make me listen, no particular order or absoluteness to this.

              Pochahontas - Neil....sheer imagery & purity with layer after layer of lyrical content
              Insane Asylum - Kathi McDonald....uncredited Sly duet, from the album that gave us all the first recorded release of Down to the Wire
              Tulsa Queen - Emmylou......if this song never ended I would still be listening to the haunting ache
              New Speedway Boogie - the Dead....my first and only Dead song (a Warner's sampler)for 35 years (now rectified), great little trip
              All I Know - Art Garfunkel......guilty pop pleasure, his voice just soars throughout
              Shootout at Fantasy Factory - Traffic...Layla's better, but the congo rhythm here is unequaled & Winwood's guitar/voice glides over and through the rest, albeit its lyrical content is, um, clunky
              Gimmer Shelter - Stones.....the world is not a safe place, and these guys are trouble
              No Time to Think - Dylan....a lyrical twist & turn from not his best, I play Hurricane more, but it's too easy to like
              Atlantic City - The Band..Levon making Bruce even more authentic
              Get Up, Stand Up - Bob Marley....hands down my favorite live album ever (vs. studio versions)

              Bill Up Here Still
              "there's a light on, over my head..."