The new songs - Please tell me they get better

  • PunkDavid
    Message 1 of 32 , Jan 8, 2009
      I hadn't listened to any of the new "car" songs from the tour before
      yesterday when "Fork In The Road" appeared on ny.com. I listened and
      was underwhelmed, but hey, it's just one song, and it sounds like only
      part of the song as well.

      So last night, I decided to throw on the NYC2 show to hear the rest of
      the new songs, and well, I had to turn it off. Light A Candle was
      forgettable, Cough Up The Bucks was bad, and I got halfway through
      Fuel Line before I realized that my jaw was agape from the shock.

      I don't think that words can really adequately describe my opinion of
      these songs. I'd like to think that this is how fans must have felt
      when they first heard Trans or Everybody's Rockin', but as strange as
      those two albums were, there was something new and radical in the
      music. There was a twist, a gimmick, an experiment that didn't quite
      work.

      This new stuff is simply the most tired music I've ever heard from
      Neil. I hope it's just half-baked and needs to be reworked in the
      studio, or something, but I'm afraid that there's not enough substance
      to make the songs be anything short of below average at best.

      I've been a fan for 20 years. I've bought every new Neil album
      immediately after release for 15 years. Even when I was listening to
      new albums that I knew were well below Neil's peak performances of the
      past, I could still find merit in them. Even Are You Passionate,
      which I rank as Neil's worst solo release, had sparks of brilliance
      amid the shlocky sentimentality of lyrics set to a musical genre that
      was poorly suited to Neil's musical skills. These songs are right in
      Neil's comfort zone musically, but there's nothing to them. The
      lyrics are pedestrian, and the music I'd call pedestrian too, except I
      just used that metaphor, so I'll say that it's more like "wheelchair
      bound".

      Please tell me that the other songs are better than these.

      I'm really worried. Not that Neil will produce a substandard album
      that will get poor reviews. Neil's a big boy, he can take some bad
      press, and he probably doesn't care one way or the other about what
      people think of his music. I'm worried that Neil has a good amount of
      attention focussed on him right now. He's just come off over a year
      of touring, and he's had very good press for his last 2 NYAPS
      releases, which has placed focus on his impending Archives release.

      Whether Neil releases these new songs right before or right after the
      Archives, I think it will negatively impact future Archives releases,
      which, much more than new releases, is the focus of my Neil obsession
      at the moment (perhaps now you understand why). If the Archives comes
      out first, it will only bring more attention to Neil, not all positive
      as many will criticize the Archives for what it is and is not. If he
      were to follow up with an album of stinkers as a soundtrack to a
      self-directed film about his current vanity project, the LincVolt, it
      will reinforce the stereotype of Neil as a self-involved artist
      indifferent to anyone's musical tastes but his own. Even worse would
      be if he bumped the Archives so that he could release a new album of
      stinkers. An album this bad could permanently delay the Archives
      (since we can figure Reprise isn't terribly anxious to try to sell a
      $400 box set of mostly previously released tracks).

      So I hope Neil does the right thing with this new music. Only he
      knows what that is, but this time I don't think I'll be able to defend
      it if it becomes the center of his musical world in the coming months.

      --PunkDavid (I swear, I'll try to listen to the other songs tonight)
    • DP
      Message 32 of 32 , Jan 21, 2009
        After watching the video and listening to FITR a few times, the song
        sounds very Greendale-like to me. It's telling a story with a
        Greendale-like feel, so I wonder if there's a new song-cycle or
        concept album that will result from this and the other songs. LWW
        also had a common theme to it and I know that Neil often writes
        songs in batches like this when he is moved to do so.

        Thanks also for the heads-up about your youtube vids, Josh.

        Cheers,

        DP
        Already One

        --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, "joshhisle" <joshhisle@...> wrote:

> [...]
        hard
        > sounding with emotion. if you havent already, watch the video
        along
        > with fork in the road...its awesomely crazy...funny too.
        >
        > also, for all of you who were at BSB (and those who werent) search
        > us on youtube. mike ronstadt (cello) put live recordings up with
        > pics and such. search josh hisle or lost in holland...we aint
        > nobody, so it will pop right up with the very few vids we have.
        >
        > just like a best friend or mentor, even if neil isnt playing what
        > you want him to, we gotta love and support him, because he has
        > gotten us all through some tough times.
        >
        > Josh Hisle
        >
        > --- In rust@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie" <d.peterman@> wrote:
        > >
        > > You know, he debuted "Fuel Line" at the Detroit concert In
        > December - right
        > > after a horrible announcement that thousands would be laid off
        in
        > a couple
        > > weeks and it was right before Christmas in a really dismal
        economy
        > here in
        > > Michigan. A lot of the songs were a reprimand to the Big 3 - He
        > was making
        > > fun and being sarcastic. Made comments about "you guys paid the
        > big bucks"
        > > for the concert. But I guess he felt he had a captive audience
        in
        > the Motor
        > > City - so he was going to take advantage of it. I remember
        > thinking during
        > > the concert, I can't believe I paid money to come here and
        listen
        > to this",
        > > and "How could he take our money for this", and "How can he be
        so
        > cold to
        > > people who might have just lost their job?"
        > >

        > > Remember, he just took that cruise in his Linc on his birthday
        in
        > November,
        > > fm San Fran to the computer geeks parking lot. He wants the car
        > makers to
        > > get on the stick and design a better car, yes, we got it. But
        the
        > music
        > > sucked big time! Most of the songs you mention relate to his
        > message to the
        > > car companies. He is only interested in conveying a message in
        > the way he
        > > knows best, by song. But there are better ways - by passing
        laws,
        > or
        > > beefing up the education system in America so we cultivate
        better
        > minds.
        > > Some people say the technology just isn't there yet. That's why
        > the big 3
        > > can't do better, not because they aren't trying.
        > >

        > > Maybe Neil should think of a better way to send messages to

        Behalf