Re: BB King

  • Stephen Taton
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2006
      David wrote:

      >I have to come out of lurking to defend BB. This
      >guy is 80 years old
      >and tours almost year round. The show is mostly his
      >backing band, but
      >he has his moments and seems to enjoy himself.
      >Let's all hope Neil
      >will
      >be touring at that age!

      I have mixed emotions about BB. I saw him in 1972,
      shortly after seeing people like Freddie King, Otis
      Rush, Luther Allison, and a very young Bonnie Raitt at
      the Ann Arbor Blues and Jazz Festival. I already felt
      he was coasting and living off his reputation. I'm
      glad we don't have to worry about Neil ever doing
      that.

      The BB thing, though, reminds me of a supposed Yogi
      Berra quote:

      "I don't watch Bogart movies, there's too many
      cliches."

      The subtle humor behind this, of course, is that Bogie
      said them before they were cliches. And that is where
      I'm at with BB. He invented licks that have become
      blues cliches. But they still sound too much like
      cliches to me. He seems to have decided, probably a
      few years before I saw him in '72, that he already
      knew all he needed to know about guitar. Consequently,
      he hasn't played a new lick since then.

      But, hey: if you get raucous applause every time you
      play anything, you must be doing something right.

      Steve Taton
      Destination Still Unnamed

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Tom Hougham
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2006
        We saw BB earlier this year in Bloomington and thought it was about the
        best we had seen him in recent years. We have been fortunate to see BB
        every or every other year for the last five or six years. BB finally has
        come to grips with his physical disabilities and sat through the whole
        show. This was the first time we have seen him sit through an entire
        show. I actually thought that this was a good thing as he was able to save
        some energy for playing. He played more of his distinctive and delicious
        style of guitar, which is why we were there, than he had at any of the
        other shows in recent years. So we were satisfied enough that we
        considered another of his shows here recently. I was able to pull up good
        tickets but they were well over $100 each so I passed. We did not need to
        see him again that bad. Now the show I'm looking forward to is the Indy
        Jazz fest Bonnie Raitt, Dr John, the Nevilles and Wynton Marsallis to name
        a few. Next off to Indy and hoping to avoid the hoards of ball
        fans. Sorry Bruce but all of Indy wants George Mason as one of their
        players is a local boy.
        searchin for the sound
        tom & ann