Neil mentioned in Wilco book

  • Mike Cordova
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 13, 2004
      There's a book about the band Wilco called Learning How To
      Die by Greg Kot that I'm reading right now. The book is
      good; if you have any interest at all in Uncle Tupelo or
      Jeff Tweedy or Wilco or even Jay Farrar (Tweedy's bandmate
      in UT), I recommend it highly.

      There are a few pretty cool Neil references; on page 6 Kot
      writes:

      *****************************
      "Jeff Tweedy is a twat," one former major-label president
      told me at the height of the singer's travails with
      Reprise. Though acknowledging the enduring merit of
      Wilco's music, the executive--who didn't even work for
      Warner Broghers--marveled at Wilco's desire to make
      "indulgent albums" for what had become the music
      industry's largest corporation. "It's unacceptable at this
      time for any artist to behave the way he does. Who does he
      think he is? Neil Young?"

      Perhaps. Neil Young once got sued by his label in the
      1980s for making what te gravely disappointed executive
      David Geffen called "unrepresentative" albums--in other
      words, they didn't sell well enough.
      *****************************

      And later, on page 66 referring to UT's album March 16-20,
      1992:

      ******************************
      The band had pulled a Neil Young: it had followed its
      version fo the commercially accessible After The Goldrush
      with a record nearly as stark and challenging as Tonight's
      The Night. It upset expectations...
      *******************************

      I'm enjoying the book quite a bit; check it out if it
      seems like it might be your thing.

      Mike
      Expecting To Fly

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • thermovement
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 14, 2004
        Not to mention that later on Neil actually talks about the Wilco situation with Reprise. Just
        a small paragraph, but I was so excited to read Neil talking about one of my favorite
        bands. So cool.
        Keith
        SPin the Black Circle