Re: Are we any closer to seeing an English translation of the Typikon?

  • starina77
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 18, 2011
      It seems that all the members of our project have been involved in other more pressing projects.

      Over the past year my focus has been on working with a small team of typographers to add the full range of Church Slavonic characters to Unicode fonts, including the majority of historical letters which have been used in early printed sources but later became extinct. We are basically done with all the documentation and have developed a prototype professional-looking font which allows one to typeset anything from Glagolitic to Paleoslavonic to Nikonian era Church Slavonic. Now we are in the process of converting most of the existing Church Slavonic liturgical texts from the current UCS-8 font encoding to Unicode. The complete body of liturgical literature will be hosted on our project's website, it will be viewable in our Slavonic font, and it will be completely searchable (which is very exciting for liturgical and linguistics scholars). We might eventually add Greek, English and pre-Nikonian Slavonic liturgical texts to our searchable library.

      You can view some our progress at:
      http://www.ponomar.net/cu_support.html
      http://www.ponomar.net/cgi-bin/bookreader.cgi

      I hope to eventually get back to working on the translation of the Typicon.

      In XC,

      Nikita Simmons

      --- In russian_typikon@yahoogroups.com, "frjohnwhiteford" <frjohnwhiteford@...> wrote:

      > It's time for my annual question: Any progress?
      >
      > -Fr. John Whiteford
      >
      > --- In russian_typikon@yahoogroups.com, "frjohnwhiteford" <frjohnwhiteford@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Any updates on how things are going?
      > >
      > > -Fr. John Whiteford
      > >
      > > --- In russian_typikon@yahoogroups.com, "Nikita Simmons" <starina77@> wrote:

      > > > Hello, Fr. John
      > > >
      > > > It's been so long since this Yahoo Group was used that I had almost forgotten about its existence. But it's interesting that you should mention the topic, as I do have some recent news to report.
      > > >
      > > > Most of you don't know (because I've purposely not said anything about it on the Yahoo Groups) that I have been unemployed since the end of January, thanks to the economic downturn. Having found a lot of time on my hands, I've once again been able to turn to the Typicon Translation Project. So last month I took a trip to St. Barbara's Monastery to speak to Mother Victoria about the status of the project and to see how I can help.
      > > >
      > > > Well, since the monastery has relocated to a larger place and has expanded its capacity, now there are more novices who require Mother Victoria's time and attention, making it difficult for her to work on translation projects right now. Also, Fr. Alexander, who was serving at the women's monastery (and assisting Mother Victoria in the translation work), has had a crippling car accident and has relocated to St. John's Monastery in Manton, CA (where I'm happy to say that he is doing well and fits very well into the community, although sadly he has no desire to work on the Typicon again).
      > > >
      > > > Mother Victoria and I then discussed the issue of her retirement, which is scheduled to happen by the end of the year, as she is getting up in years and is now preparing her replacement (Mother Melania) to take over as soon as she finishes her academic degree. When this happens, it is likely that I will go to St. Barbara's Monastery for a year and work as Mother Victoria's translation assistant and as a worker in the construction of the monastery's new church. (I would probably be housed on the monastery grounds, but apart from the monastery. The nuns all look forward to it, as I'm like a family member to most of them -- sort of like a younger brother who is teased and spoiled rotten.)
      > > >
      > > > In the meantime, I'm working on compiling a Glossary, a selection of textual and liturgical commentaries, and a translation of the Paschalia Tables. Also, I'm speeding up the translation of the Menaion section by means of automated textual "search and replace" of common phrases and words (such as "Glory...", "Both now...", Theotokion, Stavrotheotokion, Sessional Hymn, etc.).

> [...]
    • Cezar Login
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 18, 2011
        I'm glad to hear some new information about the Russian Typikon project.
        I almost forgotten.
        But, from time to time, when I look at the Romanian version I remember, and I have the acute feeling that even this version has to be revised, the translation corrected and the rubrical errors solved...
        If I can still assist in this project, please let me know!

        Cezar