2004 STATUS REPORT

  • Nikita Simmons
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2004
      Greetings, members of Russian Typikon!

      I am sending this urgent message to all members because the Russian
      Typikon (or rather, the Russian rescension text of the St. Sabas
      Typikon) translation project is at a critical point.

      As most of you know, I initiated this project a year ago by posting
      messages on several of the Yahoo Groups for Orthodox liturgists and
      musicians. The response was favourable, and we began the project with
      some incredible enthusiasm. Some of the members offered their talents
      by translating various chapters in the first portion of the Typikon,
      Hieromonk Innokentii set up our own Yahoo Group, and Reader Andrew
      began to design a web site to facilitate the organization and
      presentation of our work in progress. The web site is located at:
      http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/typikon/

      Unfortunately, with the interruption of our efforts by Palm Sunday,
      Holy week, Pascha and the Paschal season, our group lost all momentum
      and no more progress has been made with our translation project. At
      the very end of our period of activity, we gained a most important
      member, Mother Victoria of St. Barbara's Monastery in Santa Barbara,
      California. She had been working diligently at translating the
      Typikon, under the auspices of Bp. Tikhon of San Fransisco (OCA). Due
      to a lack of support from the OCA and various other jurisdiction in
      North America, she was at the point of giving up hope of ever having
      the Typikon completed and published, and by becoming a member of our
      team (with the support of Bp. Tikhon) she regained her enthusiasm for
      the project and was grateful for the opportunity to share her work
      with us.

      Sadly, the project lost its momentum just as Mother Victoria joined
      our team, and now she is rather disillusioned at her role of
      translator. She has offered us a draft translation of the entire
      Pentecostarion portion of the Typikon (a lengthy portion, I might
      add), and we have not responded with any support or suggestions or
      criticism. She has attempted to contact key members of the group,
      pleading for some response to her efforts, and she has been ignored.
      She is upset about this and has recently asked that her draft
      translation of the Pentecostarion be removed from the internet. (I
      believe that she has given up translating the Typikon at this point in
      time, due mostly to a lack of support from our group.) I feel bad that
      we have treated her this way, and I urge members to show their support
      and approval for all the hard work she has done.

      Over the past year I have been slowly compiling essential resource and
      reference materials to support the project. I have been collecting new
      links to helpful websites, I have compiled a list of all the various
      liturgical and paraliturgical books used by the Orthodox church, I
      have begun the task of collecting all the Troparia and Kontakia for
      the year, and I have been working on a Calendar which lists all the
      official commemorations (having hymns in the printed editions of the
      Menaion). I have also begun to collect a variety of service materials
      (General Menaion, Psalter, selections from the backs of the Epistles,
      Gospels and Psalter, Theotokia, etc.), which can be used to compile a
      database for people who wish to prepare service materials in a printed
      format. All of these materials I am willing to contribute to the
      group, but I am not interested in distributing this material to an
      inactive group.

      I am asking members to renew their committment to working on the
      Typikon translation project. Please, folks, let us renew our efforts
      and show Mother Victoria that we do indeed appreciate her work.
      Perhaps this will inspire her to allow us to continue to make use of
      her draft translations. Otherwise, I'm afraid that I must comply with
      her request to withdraw her offerings. It is such a shame to waste
      Mother's talents; she has spent so much time and energy offering this
      translation to God and to His Holy Orthodox Church. Let us not make
      her labours go unthanked and unwanted.

      I ask for your prayers and support for the Typikon Translation Project
      in this new civil year. The Orthodox Church within the
      English-speaking world so desperately needs a translation of the St.
      Sabas Typikon. Let's not give up on this worthy project.

      In Christ,
      Nikita Simmons
      Woodburn, Oregon
    • William Holste
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2004
        I would like to apologize first for my distractions
        this past year. I graduated, got married, and started
        a new job, and haven't had much time at all. I very
        much want to help in whatever way I can. I can
        translate, I just don't want to duplicate efforts.

        First, what has Mother Victoria completed, and what
        still needs translating?

        Second, are these translations on the Yahoo groups
        site? If so, where?

        Give me something to translate or revise, and I'll do
        it. I pretty much finished the translation I
        volunteered for, except for the last paragraph, but,
        like I said, I don't want to duplicate others'
        efforts.

        In Christ God,

        Hermogen

        http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
      • Nikita Simmons
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2004
          --- In russian_typikon@yahoogroups.com, William Holste <wholste@y...>
          wrote:
          > I would like to apologize first for my distractions
          > this past year. I graduated, got married, and started
          > a new job, and haven't had much time at all. I very
          > much want to help in whatever way I can. I can
          > translate, I just don't want to duplicate efforts.

          Dear Hermogen,

          Please do not apologize for getting married and starting a new job.
          These are positive changes in life, and I'm happy to hear of them. I
          too have had a change of employment, and I'm now teaching church
          school 2 nights per week, as well as tutoring Church Slavonic 2 other
          nights per week. With church services on Saturday and Sunday evenings,
          that leaves me with only Friday evening to myself, and I usually try
          to stay away from the computer. Unfortunately, I found that I have
          started too many projects this past year which I am unable to complete
          because of my over-committments. So I have decided to cut my teaching
          back to only 2 nights per week after Theophany and focus on completing
          the projects I've started.

          > First, what has Mother Victoria completed, and what
          > still needs translating?
          >
          > Second, are these translations on the Yahoo groups
          > site? If so, where?

          So far, I believe that she has completed the Pentecostarion (which is
          in the files section in the folder called Typikon to edit), and
          rubrics for a few of the months (not submitted to the group yet). I
          think that she has some other materials as well which she started but
          not completed.

          > Give me something to translate or revise, and I'll do
          > it. I pretty much finished the translation I
          > volunteered for, except for the last paragraph, but,
          > like I said, I don't want to duplicate others'
          > efforts.
          >
          > In Christ God,
          >
          > Hermogen

          I too have committed myself to translating a portion of the Typikon,
          and I have not met this goal yet. I too lost steam during the Paschal,
          and Mother Victoria's recent letter to me has convinced me that we
          need to renew the group focus or set the project completely aside. I
          for one feel that the Church urgently needs the Typikon if we wish to
          maintain firm connections with our liturgical tradition. As it stands,
          some parishes take outrageous liberties with the Typikon, merely
          because they have no access to the Typikon.

          Nikita
        • William Holste
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2004
            I agree entirely, Nikita, and I think this project is
            too important to give up on. If I might make an
            observation, I think part of the problem is that we
            haven't really organized ourselves. Perhaps, once we
            find out how many people are willing to commit to this
            project, we can start to assign chapters and set
            deadlines.

            I think our first goal should be to ascertain exactly
            and specifically which chapters remain completely
            untranslated, whether by Mother Victoria or someone
            else in the group. Then, we can assign those chapters
            to various people and focus on producing a rough draft
            of the entire Typikon. Once that's done, we can begin
            the lengthy process of revision and editing, and
            eventually publish. But first we need to see who's
            still interested.

            Anyway, these are just my thoughts, which I thought
            I'd contribute just because I'd hate to see this
            project just disappear. If anyone has any better
            ideas, please share them.

            In Christ,

            Hermogen

            http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
          • Cezar Login
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2004
              Dear List Members,

              I wish you a Happy New (Civil) Year.

              I as previously said I am Romanian, and I live in Romania. As for Church
              Slavonic, I know only a few.
              So, please let me know in which way I can help with the Typikon translation
              into English.
              I am in possession of a Romanian edition of the sabbaite Typikon, and this
              one follows the Slavonic one in almost all details, with some minor
              exceptions.

              In Christ,

              Cezar Login

              Xnet scaneaza automat toate mesajele impotriva virusilor folosind RAV AntiVirus.
              Xnet automatically scans all messages for viruses using RAV AntiVirus.

              Nota: RAV AntiVirus poate sa nu detecteze toti virusii noi sau toate variantele lor.
              Va rugam sa luati in considerare ca exista un risc de fiecare data cand deschideti
              fisiere atasate si ca MobiFon nu este responsabila pentru nici un prejudiciu cauzat
              de virusi.

              Disclaimer: RAV AntiVirus may not be able to detect all new viruses and variants.
              Please be aware that there is a risk involved whenever opening e-mail attachments
              to your computer and that MobiFon is not responsible for any damages caused by
              viruses.
            • Fr. John Whiteford
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 4, 2004
                Let me make an observation, followed by a few suggestions, and a
                proposal:

                Observation:

                Looking over the membership of this list, I think the pool of
                contributors is still too small. I suppose it is a delicate balance
                with a project like this... you don't want this to became a chatty
                list that doesn't produce, because it has too many non-producers on
                it, but I think we need to pull in some more qualified contributors.

                Suggestions:

                1). I think the following people should be asked to join:

                Daniel Olson daniel@...
                Matthew Williams matthew@...
                Br. Isaac Lambertsen isaac@...
                Fr. George Lardas glardas@...
                Fr. Michael Protopov fr.michael.protopopov@...
                Fr. James Silver frjsilver@...
                Fr. Leonid Mickle lmickle@...
                Fr. Serafim Gan revsgan@...

                2). I would also suggest that questions that don't get answers on
                this list should be forwarded to the Ustav and/or Typikon lists,
                where the membership is much larger, and where many competent posters
                are likely to respond.

                3). I would suggest that the web page for this project list the
                names of those who have promised to work on a given chapter, and
                state the anticipated date of completion.

                4). I would suggest that those who have made these promises, and who
                have been finding difficulty finding the time to do it, invest in
                some time management tools:

                http://saintjonah.org/franklin/

                I discovered the matterial recommended on that page about 6 months
                ago, and it has changed my life, and has been a big help.

                Proposal:

                I am not up to translating the typikon myself, but if you need
                someone to periodically check up with those who are working, and
                provide status reports on where they are at, I would be happy to
                volunteer.

                -Fr. John Whiteford
              • Fr. John Whiteford
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 4, 2004
                  I should have noted that Fr. Matthew Williams is a
                  Deacon.

                  Also, from looking at the archives it seems Br. Isaac
                  is already on board.

                  wrote:
                  > Let me make an observation, followed by a few
                  > suggestions, and a
                  > proposal:
                  >
                  > Observation:
                  >
                  > Looking over the membership of this list, I think
                  > the pool of
                  > contributors is still too small. I suppose it is a
                  > delicate balance
                  > with a project like this... you don't want this to
                  > became a chatty
                  > list that doesn't produce, because it has too many
                  > non-producers on
                  > it, but I think we need to pull in some more
                  > qualified contributors.
                  >
                  > Suggestions:
                  >
                  > 1). I think the following people should be asked to
                  > join:
                  >
                  > Daniel Olson daniel@...
                  > Matthew Williams matthew@...
                  > Br. Isaac Lambertsen isaac@...
                  > Fr. George Lardas glardas@...
                  > Fr. Michael Protopov
                  > fr.michael.protopopov@...
                  > Fr. James Silver frjsilver@...
                  > Fr. Leonid Mickle lmickle@...
                  > Fr. Serafim Gan revsgan@...
                  >
                  > 2). I would also suggest that questions that don't
                  > get answers on
                  > this list should be forwarded to the Ustav and/or
                  > Typikon lists,
                  > where the membership is much larger, and where many
                  > competent posters
                  > are likely to respond.
                  >
                  > 3). I would suggest that the web page for this
                  > project list the
                  > names of those who have promised to work on a given
                  > chapter, and
                  > state the anticipated date of completion.
                  >
                  > 4). I would suggest that those who have made these
                  > promises, and who
                  > have been finding difficulty finding the time to do
                  > it, invest in
                  > some time management tools:
                  >
                  > http://saintjonah.org/franklin/
                  >
                  > I discovered the matterial recommended on that page
                  > about 6 months
                  > ago, and it has changed my life, and has been a big
                  > help.
                  >
                  > Proposal:
                  >
                  > I am not up to translating the typikon myself, but
                  > if you need
                  > someone to periodically check up with those who are
                  > working, and
                  > provide status reports on where they are at, I would
                  > be happy to
                  > volunteer.
                  >
                  > -Fr. John Whiteford

                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  =====
                • Reader Andrew Moulton
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 6, 2004
                    Um, yes, and with Fr. John Whiteford's e-mail, which
                    reminded me of the level of work that would await me
                    if this project got going again, I am going to step
                    down sooner, rather than later, to some kind of
                    "observer" status. It is possible that I could even
                    join the translators, sometime a few years from now.
                    But, for now, my increasing number of graduate school
                    commitments and my teaching responsibilities will keep
                    me from doing little else than commenting if I should
                    find some level of competence in a question being
                    debated.

                    If there are any files that I have that should be
                    passed on elsewhere, please let me know and I will
                    help out as I can.

                    Thank you for the opportunity to support your work so
                    for.

                    =====

                    The Lord saves.

                    Reader Andrew Moulton