software

  • stbarbaramonastery
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2003
      Dear Father Innokenty,

      I was delighted to see that you have begun checking my first
      draft translation of the typicon for Pentecost. However, my computer
      was not able to read most of your post. Do I need some special
      software to read it?

      Mother Victoria
    • Nikita Simmons
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
        --- In russian_typikon@yahoogroups.com, "stbarbaramonastery"
        <mv11@j...> wrote:
        > Dear Father Innokenty,
        >
        > I was delighted to see that you have begun checking my first
        > draft translation of the typicon for Pentecost. However, my computer
        > was not able to read most of your post. Do I need some special
        > software to read it?
        >
        > Mother Victoria

        Dear Mother Victoria,

        I believe that you can remedy this situation without any special
        software. Whenever you encounter text that should read as Russian in
        your web browser, go to the Preferences or Settings (it's found in one
        of the menus that pull down). Look for the "encodings" or "page
        encodings" option, and then select Cyrillic CP-1251 or Russian CP-1251
        or Windows Russian (it's called different things in different browsers).

        Of course you will need to have fonts installed that will display
        Russian/Cyrillic characters, but most computers these days have them
        as part of the operating system (Times New Roman, Arial, Tahoma and
        several others are Unicode typeaces that contain characters for a wide
        range of languages). If you use Windows you are OK, but if you are
        using a Mac then let me know, and I can give you a call and guide you
        through the process of getting set up.

        In Christ,
        Nikita