Chant Documentation Project

  • Nikita Simmons
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2003
      Dear list members,

      Forgive me for cross-posting this message on the various Yahoo groups,
      but I want to make sure I reach all who might be interested. As many
      of you might know, I am the moderator for the Podoben group, which
      currently studies the Podobny/Prosomoia melodies used in Orthodox
      chanting.

      I'm proposing the initiation of a Chant Documentation Project to
      organize the documentation for all the various chanting systems found
      in the Eastern Orthodox Church, and to make it available on the web
      for musicologists to use as a reference tool. I am envisioning a
      series of HTML pages - one for each regional chanting system.

      To begin with, we need to have a list of these various regional chant
      systems. As a point of departure, I am suggesting separate pages for:

      - Muscovite Znamenny Chant
      - Demestvenny Chant
      - Put' Chant
      - Strochnoe Penie (pre-Western native Russian polyphony)
      - Kievan Chant (including a discussion of Kievan Square-note notation)
      - "Greek" Chant
      - Obikhod/Court/Bakhmetev/Lvov Chant
      - Finnish Octoechos Chant (Jopi can write this section if he would
      care to)
      - Carpatho-Rusin Chant (and its regional traditions)
      - Galician Chant
      - Serbian Chant
      - Romania Chant (Slavic melodic tradition)
      - Romanian Chant (Byzantine melodic tradition)
      - Macedonian Chant
      - Bulgarian Chant
      - Byzantine Chant (making note of any significant regional traditions)
      - Georgian Chant
      - Coptic Chant
      and although it is outside the Orthodox Church, I think an article on
      Armenian chant might be of interest to members of the forum.

      Then I feel it would be a good idea to establish some crieria for the
      form of presentation for each of these HTML pages. I suggest we include:
      1) a historical overview (or articles providing the historical
      background).
      2) a bibliography of source materials, including: a. primary chant
      sources, b. books and articles discussing the chant, and c.
      discography of known recordings.
      3) links to other places on the internet which might have related
      information, including musical samples (PDFs, JPGs, GIFs, .MIDI, .WAV,
      etc.).

      I welcome any input for expanding or consolidating this list of
      chanting systems. Once we get the list more or less established, I can
      begin by creating blank HTML pages, and individual members can feel
      free to contribute materials.

      I already have a copious amount of material to get this project going.
      For the past three years, I have saved copies of e-mails and postings
      on the various Orthodox Yahoo groups about traditional chanting
      systems, and I've got over 100 of these documents that need to be
      sorted through and organized. (I've already begun the task a couple
      months ago.) Once I get the pages on the web, people can start
      submitting information, or they can volunteer to take a whole page and
      do all the work (but keeping in mind that people may contribute more
      information later).

      For the time being I am willing to get this project going as part of
      the Podoben Yahoo group, but if this is a successful musicological
      venture, I am considering making this Chant Documentation Project the
      primary part of the web site, and the subject of Podobny will be just
      one of many subjects discussed. In the long run this seems like a
      logical step in the growth of the project, and of course it would mean
      that we would have to change the name of the Podoben Group. But I
      don't want to get too far ahead of myself yet, so I would like to hear
      from members and see how they feel about this project.

      In Christ,
      Nikita