How to regulate your list mails?

  • andreumland
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2008
      Dear colleagues,

      I have received some feedback concerning the mailing - mostly positive
      assessments, but also a few critical remarks. Here is my brief
      response that might be of interest to all:

      Obviously, the mailinglist will never be ideal for all. I have tried
      to set it up so as to make it usefriendly.

      In the subject line, you see what the theme of the message is. This way, you do not have to open the mail in order to know what it is about. This is also the reason for sending each announcement separately, and not making summary announcements on, for instance, conferences.

      While many seem to like "The Russian Nationalism Bulletin," the high
      number of conference and similar announcements is too much for some.

      This problem is easily solvable: If you do not want to receive all
      these messages (CfPs and other announcements), click "Edit Membership"
      in the upper, middle part of the homepage.

      Then, go to "Step 2. Message Delivery," and choose one of the
      following two options:

      1. "Special Notices - Receive only important email notices from the
      group moderator" (you will only receive the biweekly "Bulletin" and
      other selected messages, and no conference and similar announcements), or

      2. "Web Only - Don't get notified of the latest happenings. Read
      messages only on the web" (you will still be member of the group, but
      not receive any list mails).

      Some have complained that I am not mailing on Ukrainian nationalism. The reason for not doing so is less that current nationalism in Ukraine is still far less murderous than that in Russia where, on average, one person is killed per week. The present site and list simply is on Russian nationalism. I would welcome a similar group on Ukrainian nationalism. However, I do not feel competent to set up such a group myself. Asking me why I am not interested in Ukrainian nationalism is a bit like asking a biologist why she/he is not interested in chemistry. I have no clear answer to such questions.

      The Yahoo-Groups function is open to everybody, free of cost, and easy to manage. If you are more intested in Ukraine or other countries, I suggest that you create a similar group yourself instead of sending me requests that I do not know how to handle.

      Concerning "The Russian Nationalism Bulletin," I would like to ask
      whether somebody wants to participate in composing and formatting it.
      This is not a particularly high-brow job.

      S novym godom, s novym schastiem!
      Andreas