CfP: Nation & Ethnicity, St. Petersburg 11.-13.12.13 (10.7.)
- Interdisciplinary conference
Nation and Ethnicity in Humanities and Social Sciences�
On December 11-13, 2013 the Faculty�of�History of Saint-Petersburg State University will hold an interdisciplinary conference “Nation and Ethnicity in Humanities and Social Sciences” within the research project Historia nationem gignit (supervisor of the project: Fyodorov S.E., Phd, professor of the Medieval History
Department, St. Petersburg University).
The following issues are to be discussed at the conference and prospective panels:
* What is nation?
* Nation as a subject matter in social sciences.
* Interdisciplinary approach to the problem, traditions of historiography
* Ethnicity in the Middle Ages and the Early Modern period
* Ethnogenesis in the Middle ages. Wenskus’ theory of “traditionskerne”.
* Emergence of protonational myths
* Identities in the Middle Ages
* Religious, confessional, local and other identities in the Middle ages
* Gender issues in the Middle Ages
* Imagined communities in Modern and Contemporary history
* Emergence of modern nations. Evolution of nationhood
* The role of national revolutions
* Nation states and empires
* The role of language in nation-building
* National idea in the XX XXI centuries
* Civic and ethnic nationalism
* National ideology of societies before and during the Cold War
* Political framework and nationalism in the XX century
* Nationality policy in polyethnic states
* From ethnicity to nation: when does transition from ethnicity into nation take place? (panel discussion)
* The difference between ethnicity and nation. Markers of ethnicity and nation
* Correlation between ethnicity, nation and nation state
* The role of vernacular in nation-making
* Stateless nation
* Ethnic communities beyond their homeland
* Problems of migration in Modernity
* The preservation of historical memory and culture of commemoration
* Ghettos in modern society
* Ethnicity and boundaries
* Identities in contemporary world (panel discussion)
* The crisis of identity in postmodern society
* Policy of identity and ethnic background in contemporary society
* Contemporary nation-building
* The emergence of new identities
Specialists in history, ethnology, cultural anthropology, social and political sciences, including undergraduate and postgraduate students
are invited to take part in the conference.
Submit your application at historianationemgignit@...
Application deadline: July 10, 2013
The application should include the topic of the paper, its summary
(350 characters) as well as the details of the applicant and contact
information. Once the application is approved by the committee of the
conference, the abstracts of the paper (15,000 characters) should be
submitted, including the summary in English and Russian, before
September 31, 2013.