Publ.: Putinism: The Slow Rise of a Radical Right Regime in Russia. By M.v.Herpen

  • Andreas Umland
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2013
      Without recommending it (I have not yet read the monograph), I would like to draw your attention to this - presumably, interesting - new book:

      "Putinism:The Slow Rise of a Radical Right Regime in Russia"
      By Marcel Van Herpen

      Palgrave Macmillan 2013
      269 page, 60 Pound Sterling
      ISBN 9781137282804

      Description from publisher's website:
      "This book aims to provide an important insight into the essence of Putinism and the political system he has established in Russia over the past decade. Van Herpen compares in detail the many and often surprising parallels that exist between Vladimir Putin's regime in Russia and that of Weimar Germany and Mussolini's Italy indicating the presence of strong Fascist elements in the contemporary Russian Political system. However, this is tempered with elements of Bonapartism from Napoleon III's France and the populism of Italian politics under Berlusconi creating a hybrid system which has been termed 'Fascism-Lite' with a softer face than Mussolinian Fascism but still containing a hard core of ultra-nationalism, militarism and neo-imperialism. The author not only looks at Putin's regime in retrospect but also offers an insight into the future of the Russian political system as Russia's strong man begins his third term in office."

      Contents:

      Preface
      Acknowledgments

      PART I: 'WEIMAR RUSSIA'? THE VALIDITY OF A HISTORICAL PARALLEL
      Russia And The Weimar Republic: Does A 'Weimar Parallel' Exist?
      The 'Weimar Parallel': Economic, Political, And Societal Aspects
      The 'Weimar Parallel' - Socio-Psychological Aspects
      Post-Imperial Pain And The Making Of A New National Myth

      PART II: THE SPECTER OF A FASCIST RUSSIA
      What Is Fascism?
      Defining Fascism: The Thin Method
      Defining Fascism: The Thick Method
      Putinism And Fascism: The Eleven Differences (Part I)
      Putinism And Fascism: The Eleven Differences (Part Ii)

      PART III: PUTINISM, BONAPARTISM, AND BERLUSCONISM
      Putinism And Bonapartism: The Ten Resemblances
      Putinism And Berlusconism
      Putinism: A Hybrid Mixture Of Mussolinian Fascism, Bonapartism, And Berlusconism

      MARCEL H. VAN HERPEN´┐Żis Director of the Cicero Foundation, an
      independent pro-EU think tank based in Paris and Maastricht. He is a
      regular collaborator with the US think tank The National Interest. His research interests include defence and security in Central and Eastern Europe.

      http://www.palgrave.com/products/title.aspx?is=9781137282804
      http://www.amazon.com/Putinism-Radical-Right-Regime-Russia/dp/1137282800/