CfP: Identities in Media and Music, Bielefeld 7.-8.12.12 (31.7.)
- Reply to: media.music@...
Call for Papers
"National, regional and local identity/ies in media and music: Evidence from Europe and Russia"
International Workshop, Bielefeld University (Germany), December 7-8, 2012
Organizers: Chiara Pierobon and Verena Molitor
Working language: English
The workshop aims at bringing together Doctoral and Post-Doctoral researchers from the field of sociology, history, linguistics and literature, media and communication studies, political science etc. interested in the studies of the complex relationship existing between national, regional and local identity/ies and media/music in Europe and Russia.
In different research contexts it is often stated that media and music influences the construction/formation of identities and that new forms of identities can be transported and formatted through them.
Indeed, media and music delimit the area of our conceivable realities, communicating values, standards and traditions which can be taken up by groups as identification supplies and used as part of their own identity. Moreover, they play an essential role in the formation of ethnic consciousness and in the construction of geopolitical areas, contributing to the struggle over contested territory such as border regions.
We are inviting proposals which can generate a fruitful discussion addressing the following questions:
- How do media and music take part in the production and dissemination of local/regional/national identity/ies?
- What kinds of “imaginary geography” are constructed and what kind of national ideologies and mythologizing narratives are widespread through media and music?
- How are these media embedded in social structures and in (transnational) cultural dynamics? What is their relationship to institutions and power and which technological and financial means do they have at their disposal?
- Which methods can be employed and which are the methodological challenges faced by researchers of this topic?
Proposals for papers at the conference are welcome until July 31, 2012. Applications should include an abstract of the proposed presentation (around 300 words) as well as the author’s short CV and should be sent to: media.music@...
At the end of the workshop, a selection of the most compelling works might be included in a final volume.
Participations will be provided free accommodation. A social dinner will be offered at the end of the first day of workshop.
3-5 travel-grants may also be available.