1368CfP: ASEN 24th Conference, London 1.-3.4.2014 (30.11.13)
- Oct 5, 2013The Association for Studies in Ethnicity and Nationalism (ASEN) is pleased to announce the call for papers for the�24th ASEN Annual Conference: Nationalism and Belonging. The conference will take place from the 1-3rd April, 2014 at the London School of Economics.
Confirmed keynote speakers include: William Callahan, Sheila Croucher, Alain Dieckhoff, Th�omas Hylland Eriksen, Gregory Jusdanis, and Bo Strath
The complete call for papers is attached to this email and proposals�are invited for papers focusing on the following themes:
EXPRESSIONS OF BELONGING:
- How national belonging is ascribed and cultivated
- The role of symbols and rituals in national belonging
- The process by which individuals and groups construct their belonging to nations
- How states use claims about national belonging to define their communities
CROSS-BORDER FORMS OF BELONGING:
- The examination of forms of diaspora and kin nationalism
- How transnational communities maintain a sense of belonging across space and time
- How migrant and diaspora communities construct new ways of belonging
NON-NATIONAL FORMS OF BELONGING:
- How national belonging is responding to alternative, non-national forms of attachment
- The role of supra-national and sub-national forces in redefining belonging
- The relationship between national belonging and cosmopolitanism/post-nationalism
- How possible shifts in the centrality of national belonging in the contemporary world affect the study of nationalism.
Abstracts should be submitted online no later than November 30, 2013. To submit your abstract, please follow this link:�http://tinyurl.com/asen2014CFPPlease email�asen.conference2014@...�if you have any queries.