Re: Dagaz

  • Rune <rune_mistress@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2003
      God Dag, Kate,
      Lovely essay you wrote on Dagaz, thanks, I do believe it has
      expanded my perceptions of Dagaz.
      I really like considering Dagaz at the end of the third aett and
      the associates it creates in that position.
      I am visual and when I draw a rune, I see........... .
      I see dagaz as a gateway, a dawning, a completely new stage. I see
      one standing at the edge of everything they have ever known and they
      are about to step into a new way of knowing. Once they take that
      step, there is no going back.
      These concepts for dagaz seem to fit dagaz being the 8th rune of
      the 3rd aett. After all, the aetts appear to be groups of concepts
      guiding our developmental experiences here on earth. It seems to
      reason that the 3rd aett would lead into the dawning of what is
      beyond our present knowing and from which there is no turning
      back. :)

      .|
      .|\
      .|/
      \|/
      /|\, Rune

      Have a glorious day of life, take excellent care of yourself!

      My personal rune is Tyr. I think Tyr represents my stage of
      development.....that's fine, but I am not so keen on scarificing my
      right hand (I'm left handed) for the sake of humanity and controlling
      chaos. Still, I find that is my job in many situations. :)

      --- In runes-divination@yahoogroups.com, "d Kate d <wordance@y...>"

    • odin_runer
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1 8:40 PM
        <wordance@y...> wrote:
        > Question: Is there one particular rune to which you are drawn? Why?
        >
        > Mine is Dagaz.

        Dear Kate,

        Thankyou for 'letting us inside of you' concerning your favourite
        rune. It was a pleasure to read.

        I like the FEHU rune myself. To me it captures the magic of the
        wizard, brings in good fortune and luck, and -- basically -- has a
        lot of attitude.

        Good luck with any further future novels!

        Odin_Runer!
      • esta philips
        Message 3 of 13 , May 15, 2007
          Hello everybody,

          I'm esta. I live in Hyderabad, India.
          Well, to tell you the truth the first time i heard the
          word "Runes" was in Harry Potter.
          Witchcraft has always facinated me and the day i found
          out that witches are not evil and you dont need to
          give up God to practice witchcraft, i loved it even
          more.
          I joined the WitchEssentials group too, only one of my
          mails got answered, and i kinda felt bad coz i was
          just starting out and needed a lot of info.
          Anyways I hope this group isnt the same as that.

          Does Runes mean the old Germanic language that was
          spoken/written or is it the ancient physical forms
          that were used to cast spells?

          Regards
          Esta

          http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
        • keybearerss
          Message 4 of 13 , May 16, 2007
            The runes are an old alphabet. They are used both in magick and in
            divination. Each rune represent a letter or sound and also a
            physical object of the ancient world . Post all the questoins you
            like you'll find answers here. I am a practicing witch and am more
            then happy to answer your questions on that as well.

            --- In runes-divination@yahoogroups.com, esta philips
            <b4witching@...> wrote:

            > Hello everybody,
            >
            > I'm esta. I live in Hyderabad, India.
            > Well, to tell you the truth the first time i heard the
            > word "Runes" was in Harry Potter.
            > Witchcraft has always facinated me and the day i found
            > out that witches are not evil and you dont need to
            > give up God to practice witchcraft, i loved it even
            > more.
            > I joined the WitchEssentials group too, only one of my
            > mails got answered, and i kinda felt bad coz i was
            > just starting out and needed a lot of info.
            > Anyways I hope this group isnt the same as that.
            >
            > Does Runes mean the old Germanic language that was
            > spoken/written or is it the ancient physical forms
            > that were used to cast spells?
            >
            > Regards
            > Esta

            _______________
            vehicles. Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.
            > http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

          • James Cootware
            Message 5 of 13 , May 17, 2007
              Esta,

              Runes were originally used as a form to "Cast Spells" and were also used for divination purposes. The Norse believed that the god Odin saw the runes in a vision while he was on his quest to become more knowledgable. He was hanging from the tree of life when they came to him in a vision and he gathered them up. It wasn't until later that the runes became adapted into a written alphabet. I am pretty sure that is how it went, but if my history is wrong feel free to correct me.

              Thanks,
              James

              esta philips <b4witching@...> wrote: Hello everybody,

              I'm esta. I live in Hyderabad, India.
              Well, to tell you the truth the first time i heard the
              word "Runes" was in Harry Potter.
              Witchcraft has always facinated me and the day i found
              out that witches are not evil and you dont need to
              give up God to practice witchcraft, i loved it even
              more.
              I joined the WitchEssentials group too, only one of my
              mails got answered, and i kinda felt bad coz i was
              just starting out and needed a lot of info.
              Anyways I hope this group isnt the same as that.

              Does Runes mean the old Germanic language that was
              spoken/written or is it the ancient physical forms
              that were used to cast spells?

              Regards
              Esta

              http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

            • Donald Kirk

                Message 7 of 13 , May 20, 2007
                  Hi Don,

                  I wish i could answer ur question but i have no idea
                  about anything concerning Runes. i've just started out
                  and would like to first have some basic knowledge
                  about it.
                  Could u help me out wid that?

                  Regards
                  Esta
                  --- Donald Kirk <dleroykirk@...> wrote:

                  > India - I'm in in good old USA - which aint't that
                  > good - as far as Runes - Sidha Yoga is my thing -
                  > Could you tell about the diffeent Yoga sects
                  >
                  > Thanks Don
                  >
                  > esta philips <b4witching@...> wrote:
                  > Hello everybody,
                  >
                  > I'm esta. I live in Hyderabad, India.
                  > Well, to tell you the truth the first time i heard
                  > the
                  > word "Runes" was in Harry Potter.
                  > Witchcraft has always facinated me and the day i
                  > found
                  > out that witches are not evil and you dont need to
                  > give up God to practice witchcraft, i loved it even
                  > more.
                  > I joined the WitchEssentials group too, only one of
                  > my
                  > mails got answered, and i kinda felt bad coz i was
                  > just starting out and needed a lot of info.
                  > Anyways I hope this group isnt the same as that.
                  >
                  > Does Runes mean the old Germanic language that was
                  > spoken/written or is it the ancient physical forms
                  > that were used to cast spells?
                  >
                  > Regards
                  > Esta

                  > Park yourself in front of a world of choices in
                  > alternative vehicles. Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green
                  > Center.
                  > http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

                  > removed]

                  ____________________________________________________________________________________Need a vacation? Get great deals
                  to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
                  http://travel.yahoo.com/
                • esta philips
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 27, 2007
                    Hi,
                    how do i start learning the alphabets, where do i get
                    such material?

                    Esta
                    --- keybearerss <aconstan1@...> wrote:

                    > The runes are an old alphabet. They are used both
                    > in magick and in
                    > divination. Each rune represent a letter or sound
                    > and also a
                    > physical object of the ancient world . Post all the
                    > questoins you
                    > like you'll find answers here. I am a practicing
                    > witch and am more
                    > then happy to answer your questions on that as well.
                    >

                    > --- In runes-divination@yahoogroups.com, esta
                    > philips
                    > <b4witching@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hello everybody,
                    > >
                    > > I'm esta. I live in Hyderabad, India.
                    > > Well, to tell you the truth the first time i heard
                    > the
                    > > word "Runes" was in Harry Potter.
                    > > Witchcraft has always facinated me and the day i
                    > found
                    > > out that witches are not evil and you dont need to
                    > > give up God to practice witchcraft, i loved it
                    > even
                    > > more.
                    > > I joined the WitchEssentials group too, only one
                    > of my
                    > > mails got answered, and i kinda felt bad coz i was
                    > > just starting out and needed a lot of info.
                    > > Anyways I hope this group isnt the same as that.
                    > >
                    > > Does Runes mean the old Germanic language that was
                    > > spoken/written or is it the ancient physical forms
                    > > that were used to cast spells?
                    > >
                    > > Regards
                    > > Esta

                    > _______________
                    > > Park yourself in front of a world of choices in
                    > alternative
                    > vehicles. Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.
                    > > http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

                    ____________________________________________________________________________________Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos & more.
                    http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
                  • Mel
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 30, 2007
                      --- esta philips <b4witching@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      > how do i start learning the alphabets, where do i
                      > get
                      > such material?
                      >
                      > Esta

                      Welcome to the world of runes Esta. In this instance,
                      I could take you the long way, or the short way, as
                      far as learning the runes are concerned

                      The short way is to just follow anyone's rune
                      interpretations and hope things go well. You'll find
                      all the information by going to GOOGLE, typing in
                      'runes' in the box, and then take it from there. There
                      will be no guarantee on the quality of your
                      information, but that is the short way

                      The long way, however, is quite long and complicated,
                      but more beneficial in the long run. These symbols
                      came from ancient Germanic cultures, who were a rugged
                      people who lived rough times. They had little time for
                      frivolities and were more concerned with surviving the
                      next winter. Most were simple people who dealt in
                      practicalities, and with little or nothing to do with
                      this invented abomination they call these days as
                      'magick'. They did consult shamanic figures, but such
                      figures were more of and for service to the community,
                      rather than worthy company

                      Just as the people above, the runes are also simple
                      and practical. Knowing the history of the people above
                      and their myths will get you a good start, especially
                      with the Norse myths. What we call as Norse or
                      Icelandic SAGAS are also important. If you know how
                      these people think, then you will know how the runes
                      work. In the end, you will carve your own path, and
                      work out what's right for you. I can tell you the
                      meanings of runes through their poems, but you'll
                      still be lacking in knowledge and spirit without other
                      background studies

                      > --- keybearerss <aconstan1@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > The runes are an old alphabet. They are used both
                      > > in magick and in
                      > > divination.

                      And the problem is we don't know how they were exactly
                      used. What we do with them today are our own mere
                      inventions

                      >Each rune represent a letter or sound
                      > > and also a
                      > > physical object of the ancient world .

                      I'd like to see the historical proof(at university
                      research level) of this
                      -------------------------------

                      From ESTA:

                      only one
                      > > of my
                      > > > mails got answered, and i kinda felt bad coz i
                      > was
                      > > > just starting out and needed a lot of info.
                      > > > Anyways I hope this group isnt the same as that.

                      MEL:

                      You won't get much answers from people who know next
                      to nothing. It is an honourable and noble individual
                      who admits to not knowing everything, and the runes
                      are very much tied to noble and honourable thinking
                      and practise. Such qualities were very important to
                      the Germanic peoples

                      ESTA:

                      > > > Does Runes mean the old Germanic language that
                      > was spoken/written

                      MEL:

                      There's no historical proof that they were spoken, but
                      there may be some evidence that the ancients actually
                      wrote with them

                      ESTA:

                      > or is it the ancient physical
                      > forms that were used to cast spells?

                      We don't know how they were actually used, but you'll
                      have to rely on your own interpretations as you study
                      the preChristian history of the Germanic peoples,
                      especially the Norse

                      I hope these help

                      in peace
                      Mel
                      gunnar19632000@...

                      How would you spend $50,000 to create a more sustainable environment in Australia? Go to Yahoo!7 Answers and share your idea.
                      http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/aunz/lifestyle/answers/y7ans-babp_reg.html
                    • scorpiobkd
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 30, 2007
                        Hi,
                        I am curious if any of you have tried anything like this. If so I
                        would be very interested in what knowledge you gained.

                        The runes also represent a force or energy to me. A few years ago, I
                        got a little too confident and used one to cast a spell.
                        This was done out of temper, and even though I had a right to be
                        angry, I went overboard.
                        I used Ger or Jera with a vague idea of the meaning.
                        This was an attempt to send someone's behavior back on themselves,
                        and I ended up sending things to my own self.
                        At the time, I was also trying to experiment with the Web of Wyrd. I
                        was doing this blindly as well.
                        I will not go into much detail here, because each path is individual,
                        but I almost got a lot more than I bargained for.
                        I believe the Gods or Norns were kind enough to let me learn without
                        as much trouble as was asking for.
                        They did give me enough to warn me about working with these powers.
                        Each one is a force. These forces operate by rules that are not in my
                        control, and not easy to understand.
                        I have witnessed the reward and the price for some of these things.
                        If you are given the power to read them, you are soon able to use
                        them.
                        I appreciate my learning experience in many ways, but I believe it
                        could have been easier if I had been more careful.
                        Since then, I have used runes in spells and had success a few times,
                        but I was also watching myself a little better. I have learned to
                        respect the forces and try to put more effort into understanding what
                        I am doing.

                        --- In runes-divination@yahoogroups.com, Mel <gunnar19632000@...>

                        ___________

                        > How would you spend $50,000 to create a more sustainable
                        environment in Australia? Go to Yahoo!7 Answers and share your idea.
                        > http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/aunz/lifestyle/answers/y7ans-
                        babp_reg.html

                      • James Cootware
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 3, 2007
                          I have been involved with what you described although i look at it in a different light. I don't think of casting the runes or invoking them as Spellcasting. That feels off for me just a little. Luckily for myself, i had a mentor early on that helped me avoid a lot of the pitfalls that you described. I had to start out with doing readings with the runes and studying them to get a good understanding of what they were before i attempted to use them in that manner.

                          The way that i look at it is when you are working with this kind of stuff there is going to be a price. Depending on what you are doing depends on the price. For example, if you are doing a simple rune reading the price will be small. If you are using the runes on someone else, the price can be much higher. For the most part i avoid using the runes in that manner because they are linked to the gods; if they disagree with what you are trying to do it will fail or worse.

                          scorpiobkd <scorpiobkd@...> wrote: Hi,