Re: Saxon (Old English) Rune Names

  • Os
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2001
      --- In runes-divination@egroups.com, "Charles W. Leysath" <mzkc@e...>
      wrote:
      > This is from Maggie
      >
      > Dear Os:
      >
      > I love this! Thank you for the descriptions and the word
      > origins. Being an English teacher makes me especially love this
      > kind of stuff. All of the information I have been learning
      > through this group is beginning to come together and this is a
      > great help. Maggie

      I'm very glad someone found it interesting. Most of
      the linguistic rules and some of the examples came from my
      lecture notes when I was studying Old English for my degree.
      First time I've got those out in a while! Obviously with all
      translation of ancient languages (and particularly one like
      Old English that was actually "lost" for a while) there will
      be some debate over particular translations. I know a lot
      claim Rad becomes Ride rather than Road for example but the
      "a to o" rule is one of the more consistent OE -> Modern Eng
      changes and since a road would be something you would ride
      a horse over I think we can safely say they all have the same
      root anyway. This kind of thing fascinates me with my training
      in English and Archaeology but I generally don't indulge myself
      in this way in the group since it can get quite technical but
      thought some information on the rune names might be helpful.
      Incidently while I have not persuaded many of you to use the
      dual naming system, by using it I have to admit I am coming
      on by leaps and bounds with regards to the Germanic names
      which I always knew but sometimes had to scratch my head a
      bit before making the connexion between name and rune. Now
      both systems are feeling very natural to me though have to
      admit I will always love the Saxon names because of the
      importance and immediacy of the Saxon period in my life.

      PS Maggie, I know you have had some trouble posting but
      it is great to see messages from you and look forward
      to more :)

      OS
      Moderator, runes-divination@egroups.com