Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

rune carving

Expand Messages
  • GB Tyrrell <gbt@ravendreams.co.uk>
    I am looking for a guide on the exact incision of runes - as in the order to which you make the strokes of each rune. Does anyone know where I can find this on
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 3, 2003
    • 0 Attachment
      I am looking for a guide on the exact incision of runes - as in the
      order to which you make the strokes of each rune. Does anyone know
      where I can find this on the web or perhaps corespond with me so that
      I might learn?

      Thanks,
      gbt
    • Os <witch@faelord.net>
      ... This question came up recently at the Rune School. I have to admit I didn t have the answer to hand (yes there are some things I don t know). However one
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 3, 2003
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In runes-divination@yahoogroups.com, "GB Tyrrell <gbt@r...>"
        <gbt@r...> wrote:
        > I am looking for a guide on the exact incision of runes - as in the
        > order to which you make the strokes of each rune.

        This question came up recently at the Rune School. I have to admit I
        didn't have the answer to hand (yes there are some things I don't
        know). However one of our governors suggested the following books:

        "Discover Runes; Understanding and
        using the power of runes" by Tony Willis. ISBN 1 85538 072 2. And
        "Using the Runes; A comprhensive introduction to the art of runecraft"
        by D.Jason Cooper. ISBN 0 85030 568 3.

        Let me know if you find it on the web anywhere.. I have looked without
        success since I would like to link to it :)

        Os
        Moderator, runes-divination@yahoogroups.com
      • bob oswald
        To the best of my knowledge - based on inheritance and 45 years of rune making - there is no hard-and-fast rule on this. The rune symbol has no entity until it
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 4, 2003
        • 0 Attachment

          To the best of my knowledge - based on inheritance and 45 years of rune making - there is no hard-and-fast rule on this. The rune symbol has no entity until it has been empowered, so the order in which you mark each line is not important since the empowerment comes AFTER the rune form has been completed.

          There are rules however on the composition of bindrunes. It is important to mark each component rune in the right order. One should also mark each line of each rune, even if this means over-marking some lines. This is because empowerment requires that each component rune is addressed individually during the ritual.

          For more information on bindrunes, visit my websites. www.runemaker.com and www.bindrune.com. You won't find the full empowerment ritual, but there is a fairly detailed description of the procedure.

          Bob Oswald - The Runemaker

           

           "Os <witch@...>" <witch@...> wrote:

          --- In runes-divination@yahoogroups.com, "GB Tyrrell <gbt@r...>"
          <gbt@r...> wrote:
          > I am looking for a guide on the exact incision of runes - as in the
          > order to which you make the strokes of each rune.

          This question came up recently at the Rune School. I have to admit I
          didn't have the answer to hand (yes there are some things I don't
          know). However one of our governors suggested the following books:

          "Discover Runes; Understanding and
          using the power of runes" by Tony Willis. ISBN 1 85538 072 2. And
          "Using the Runes; A comprhensive introduction to the art of runecraft"
          by D.Jason Cooper. ISBN 0 85030 568 3.

          Let me know if you find it on the web anywhere.. I have looked without
          success since I would like to link to it :)

          Os
          Moderator, runes-divination@yahoogroups.com


          To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
          runes-divination-unsubscribe@egroups.com



          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.



          With Yahoo! Mail you can get a bigger mailbox -- choose a size that fits your needs

        • GB Tyrrell <gbt@ravendreams.co.uk>
          I have ordered: Using the Runes; A comprhensive introduction to the art of runecraft by D.Jason Cooper. as it seemed the most baised on the literature. But,
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 5, 2003
          • 0 Attachment
            I have ordered:
            "Using the Runes; A comprhensive introduction to the art of
            runecraft"
            by D.Jason Cooper.
            as it seemed the most baised on the literature. But, I am not made of
            money - could you please tell me if the other book contradicts or has
            a differening method? I am interested in knowing if there as as many
            differing oppionions (never could spell... - get it? arrgh!) on this
            subject as there seem to be on Ralph Blum. If there are then they
            will need to be investigated to aquire the full picture to decide the
            best course of action.

            I have been to the "runemaster" site and have found it very
            informative, and the eye for detail in the "Writing Runes" article to
            be of a very high calibur. A very good point in scribing all the
            lines of a bind rune... In carving this could be incorporated into
            the design allowing for differening levels and depths as indeed each
            intersection will have depth to its meaning/binding. Further, method
            of binding may be to enamel carved runes. The firing of the glass
            creating one bound solid symbol....

            Anyone have any suggestions for best metal? One that has a melting
            point higher than 900 C? I would assume silver, but steel does have
            it's attractions...

            Tahnk you!
          • bob oswald <oswaldtherunemaker@yahoo.co.
            HI GB Thanks for your nice comments about my site and the article on writing with runes, glad you enjoyed your visit and found it informative. Just one small
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 5, 2003
            • 0 Attachment
              HI GB
              Thanks for your nice comments about my site and the article on
              writing with runes, glad you enjoyed your visit and found it
              informative. Just one small point - the site isn't called
              runemaster, it's www.runemaker.com. I have Jason Cooper's book and
              would be iterested in your opinion of it if you do acquire a copy.

              --- In runes-divination@yahoogroups.com, "GB Tyrrell <gbt@r...>"
              <gbt@r...> wrote:
              > I have ordered:
              > "Using the Runes; A comprhensive introduction to the art of
              > runecraft"
              > by D.Jason Cooper.
              > as it seemed the most baised on the literature. But, I am not made
              of
              > money - could you please tell me if the other book contradicts or
              has
              > a differening method? I am interested in knowing if there as as
              many
              > differing oppionions (never could spell... - get it? arrgh!) on
              this
              > subject as there seem to be on Ralph Blum. If there are then they
              > will need to be investigated to aquire the full picture to decide
              the
              > best course of action.
              >
              > I have been to the "runemaster" site and have found it very
              > informative, and the eye for detail in the "Writing Runes" article
              to
              > be of a very high calibur. A very good point in scribing all the
              > lines of a bind rune... In carving this could be incorporated into
              > the design allowing for differening levels and depths as indeed
              each
              > intersection will have depth to its meaning/binding. Further,
              method
              > of binding may be to enamel carved runes. The firing of the glass
              > creating one bound solid symbol....
              >
              > Anyone have any suggestions for best metal? One that has a melting
              > point higher than 900 C? I would assume silver, but steel does have
              > it's attractions...
              >
              > Tahnk you!
            • Lisa Clayton-Alley
              Jennifer Smith @ Tara Hill sent me an email/reply saying that there isn t much in the historical data to specify a definite order for the strokes of the Runes-
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 5, 2003
              • 0 Attachment
                Jennifer Smith @ Tara Hill sent me an email/reply saying that there isn't
                much in the historical data to specify a definite order for the strokes of
                the Runes- makes sense; since most things would have been taught orally &
                each would carve his/her own set as part of their instruction. Most of the
                books I've seen only refer to carving with downward strokes against the
                grain of the wood. Has anyone done any experimentation with talismans or
                bindrunes that might suggest a difference in effect based on this? I know
                that in Western occult practice, drawing the pentagram in order from
                different points has a different use.

                _________________________________________________________________
                Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8.
                http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail
              • bragitru
                Hail to the list, Here is a little situation that I have been pondering. This morning my two-year old daughter Sarah was walking around with something in her
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 8, 2003
                • 0 Attachment
                  Hail to the list,

                  Here is a little situation that I have been pondering.

                  This morning my two-year old daughter Sarah was walking around with
                  something in her mouth (not an uncommon occurrence). Upon closer inspection
                  I found that she had been sucking on the Gebo rune from one of my many rune
                  sets (this particular one was made of semi-precious stones). Further
                  investigation revealed that my seven-year old daughter Katrina had climbed
                  up the shelf and had been looking at the "pretty" runes, obviously leaving
                  one of them out.

                  After chastising Katrina for getting into things that she shouldn't and
                  telling Sarah not to put things in her mouth I didn't think any more of it.

                  This evening as I was preparing dinner, with Sarah under foot, and noticed
                  once again that she has something in her mouth. Sure enough it was the Gebo
                  rune from another set (this one made of bone) that I carry in the breast
                  pocket of my jacket. I went to my jacket, which was still hanging on the
                  kitchen chair, and the rune bag was still in the pocket with the rest of the
                  futhark present.

                  Now I am not given to conspiracy theory or blatant signs from the powers
                  that be, but in both cases it was the Gebo rune, in both cases the rest of
                  the runes remained in the pouch and in both cases the pouches were right
                  back where I had left them.

                  Of course this is probably just wild coincidence but does anyone have
                  another interpretation?

                  Wyrd huh?

                  In Troth,

                  Mike Myers
                  [Yes, my real name.]
                • Rune
                  Hi Mike, The one thing I know about coincidence is that there is no coincidence, even though we like to name unfoldments coincidence so we do not have to
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 10, 2003
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Hi Mike,
                    The one thing I know about coincidence is that there is no
                    coincidence, even though we like to name unfoldments "coincidence" so
                    we do not have to deal with their deeper meanings. Anyway, Gebo is a
                    very nice rune to affiliate with, I would expect Sarah to be well-
                    balanced. :)

                    Rune


                    --- In runes-divination@yahoogroups.com, "bragitru" <bragitru@a...>
                    wrote:
                    > Hail to the list,
                    >
                    > Here is a little situation that I have been pondering.
                    >
                    > This morning my two-year old daughter Sarah was walking around with
                    > something in her mouth (not an uncommon occurrence). Upon closer
                    inspection
                    > I found that she had been sucking on the Gebo rune from one of my
                    many rune
                    > sets (this particular one was made of semi-precious stones).
                    Further
                    > investigation revealed that my seven-year old daughter Katrina had
                    climbed
                    > up the shelf and had been looking at the "pretty" runes, obviously
                    leaving
                    > one of them out.
                    >
                    > After chastising Katrina for getting into things that she shouldn't
                    and
                    > telling Sarah not to put things in her mouth I didn't think any
                    more of it.
                    >
                    > This evening as I was preparing dinner, with Sarah under foot, and
                    noticed
                    > once again that she has something in her mouth. Sure enough it was
                    the Gebo
                    > rune from another set (this one made of bone) that I carry in the
                    breast
                    > pocket of my jacket. I went to my jacket, which was still hanging
                    on the
                    > kitchen chair, and the rune bag was still in the pocket with the
                    rest of the
                    > futhark present.
                    >
                    > Now I am not given to conspiracy theory or blatant signs from the
                    powers
                    > that be, but in both cases it was the Gebo rune, in both cases the
                    rest of
                    > the runes remained in the pouch and in both cases the pouches were
                    right
                    > back where I had left them.
                    >
                    > Of course this is probably just wild coincidence but does anyone
                    have
                    > another interpretation?
                    >
                    > Wyrd huh?
                    >
                    > In Troth,
                    >
                    > Mike Myers
                    > [Yes, my real name.]
                  • Os
                    ... powers ... rest of ... right ... have ... Mike There is a manuscript sitting on my shelf, most of which became the Rune School s free course, but not all.
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 12, 2003
                    • 0 Attachment
                      --- In runes-divination@yahoogroups.com, "bragitru" <bragitru@a...>
                      wrote:

                      > Now I am not given to conspiracy theory or blatant signs from the
                      powers
                      > that be, but in both cases it was the Gebo rune, in both cases the
                      rest of
                      > the runes remained in the pouch and in both cases the pouches were
                      right
                      > back where I had left them.
                      >
                      > Of course this is probably just wild coincidence but does anyone
                      have
                      > another interpretation?
                      >

                      Mike

                      There is a manuscript sitting on my shelf, most of which became the
                      Rune School's free course, but not all. In one of the parts that
                      didn't make the course, I talk about runes and maths and how if you
                      choose to see runes purely as something determined by the rules of
                      mathematical probability, then that is what they will become for you.
                      The rune staves we use for divination are not the true runes, the true
                      runes are powers which we access by means of the staves, as though we
                      opened a door. True runes are around us and working in our lives all
                      the time. Sometimes I can feel a rune's influence on someone just
                      standing in their presence talking to them, without any need to do a
                      reading.

                      With runes, there is no such this as "coincidence" or "accident". If
                      you open your bag and a rune drops out onto the floor, if you drop a
                      rune in a reading, if a rune goes missing from your set - THEN heed
                      the meaning of that rune.

                      If one accepts that runes are powers which can provide us with useful
                      information, then should that information come only at our bidding?
                      Are runes like a dog to be called and dismissed at will? No, once we
                      have formed the initial link, they are communicating with us all the
                      time if only we listen, and when something is important that we have
                      not recognised, they will work harder to bring it to our attention.

                      Think about Gebo (Gyfu) and its relevance to your life right now.
                      Above all it is a rune of giving and receiving, of being willing to
                      make sacrifices. It is also a rune of balance and harmony. Maybe there
                      are choices you need to make, projects you need to abandon etc. The
                      fact the child has twice been the messenger should not be overlooked.
                      This suggests they have a role in this situation. All rune messages
                      are very personal and unexpected ones like this particularly so. The
                      only person who can figure it out is yourself.

                      I would suggest you do so, these kind of sudden single rune messages
                      are usually quite urgent. Gebo isn't a rune to worry about unduly, it
                      is always fairly positive though like all the runes it has its shadow
                      side. However given its general brightness you can be fairly confident
                      there is nothing dire around the corner, however there is a situation
                      which needs your attention and by intervening in this way the runes
                      are alerting you to the fact either you are neglecting something or in
                      danger of making a wrong decision currently.

                      I hope that assists.

                      Os
                      Moderator, runes-divination@yahoogroups.com
                    • bob oswald
                      This is not really on the Gebo matter, but it is about coincidence . I offer a lifetime replacement service for missing or damaged runes with my rune sets. I
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 13, 2003
                      • 0 Attachment

                        This is not really on the Gebo matter, but it is about "coincidence".

                        I offer a lifetime replacement service for missing or damaged runes with my rune sets. I have replaced 44 runes for the 600 or so rune sets I have supplied over the last few years - since I started keeping records, in fact- and the statistics are surprising.

                        Of the 36 runes that were lost, Raido scored 27 and the other 9 were pretty random - although Ehwaz scored 3. Thurisaz accounted for all  8 of the runes that were damaged. On one occasion the replacement Thurisaz also got damaged and replaced for a second time. I have noticed that certain rune sets (or maybe it's their owners) are more prone to difficulties. Those 44 replacements account for only 25 different rune sets.

                        Any comment, Os?

                        Bob Oswald
                        www.runemaker.com

                         

                         Os <witch@...> wrote:

                        --- In runes-divination@yahoogroups.com, "bragitru" <bragitru@a...>
                        wrote:

                        > Now I am not given to conspiracy theory or blatant signs from the
                        powers
                        > that be, but in both cases it was the Gebo rune, in both cases the
                        rest of
                        > the runes remained in the pouch and in both cases the pouches were
                        right
                        > back where I had left them.
                        >
                        > Of course this is probably just wild coincidence but does anyone
                        have
                        > another interpretation?
                        >

                        Mike

                        There is a manuscript sitting on my shelf, most of which became the
                        Rune School's free course, but not all. In one of the parts that
                        didn't make the course, I talk about runes and maths and how if you
                        choose to see runes purely as something determined by the rules of
                        mathematical probability, then that is what they will become for you.
                        The rune staves we use for divination are not the true runes, the true
                        runes are powers which we access by means of the staves, as though we
                        opened a door. True runes are around us and working in our lives all
                        the time. Sometimes I can feel a rune's influence on someone just
                        standing in their presence talking to them, without any need to do a
                        reading.

                        With runes, there is no such this as "coincidence" or "accident". If
                        you open your bag and a rune drops out onto the floor, if you drop a
                        rune in a reading, if a rune goes missing from your set - THEN heed
                        the meaning of that rune.

                        If one accepts that runes are powers which can provide us with useful
                        information, then should that information come only at our bidding?
                        Are runes like a dog to be called and dismissed at will? No, once we
                        have formed the initial link, they are communicating with us all the
                        time if only we listen, and when something is important that we have
                        not recognised, they will work harder to bring it to our attention.

                        Think about Gebo (Gyfu) and its relevance to your life right now.
                        Above all it is a rune of giving and receiving, of being willing to
                        make sacrifices. It is also a rune of balance and harmony. Maybe there
                        are choices you need to make, projects you need to abandon etc. The
                        fact the child has twice been the messenger should not be overlooked.
                        This suggests they have a role in this situation. All rune messages
                        are very personal and unexpected ones like this particularly so. The
                        only person who can figure it out is yourself.

                        I would suggest you do so, these kind of sudden single rune messages
                        are usually quite urgent. Gebo isn't a rune to worry about unduly, it
                        is always fairly positive though like all the runes it has its shadow
                        side. However given its general brightness you can be fairly confident
                        there is nothing dire around the corner, however there is a situation
                        which needs your attention and by intervening in this way the runes
                        are alerting you to the fact either you are neglecting something or in
                        danger of making a wrong decision currently.

                        I hope that assists.

                        Os
                        Moderator, runes-divination@yahoogroups.com



                        To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                        runes-divination-unsubscribe@egroups.com



                        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.



                        With Yahoo! Mail you can get a bigger mailbox -- choose a size that fits your needs

                      • Os
                        ... I have noticed that certain rune sets (or maybe it s their owners) are more prone to difficulties. Those 44 replacements account for only 25 different rune
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 13, 2003
                        • 0 Attachment
                          --- In runes-divination@yahoogroups.com, bob oswald
                          <oswaldtherunemaker@y...> wrote:
                          >
                          I have noticed that certain rune sets (or maybe it's their owners)
                          are more prone to difficulties. Those 44 replacements account for
                          only 25 different rune sets.
                          > Any comment, Os?
                          > Bob Oswald
                          > www.runemaker.com

                          Hmm Bob, you know how to get my attention. So much so I am standing
                          at a net phone terminal at Gatwick airport typing this reply.
                          Fascinating statistics, I can see myself quoting them in future.

                          Raido .. well from a sceptical point of view someone could say
                          because its also an alphabet character people tend to pick it up and
                          play with it more and hence have a greater chance of losing it. Of
                          course this falls down given Berkana (Beorc) doesnt show a similar
                          atrition rate.


                          From a more mystical viewpoint, Raido is fairly versatile but its
                          links to travel, new starts etc mean its just the kind of rune which
                          is likely to turn up in these stats if a rune vanishing is a way of
                          trying to pass on an urgent message to people.

                          Thurisaz (Thorn) is obviously linked with Thor and his constant
                          battles with the giants trying to uphold order against chaos. Of all
                          the runes it has perhaps one of the worst reputations. It seems
                          sometimes it is itself a casualty of the dangers it symbolises :)

                          Well, a lot for me to ponder on, interesting question.

                          Os

                          Moderator, runes-divination@yahoogroups.com
                        • odin_runer
                          ... about coincidence . Concerning losing runes, I recently lost a couple from a bone set I owned. I used this opportunity to get out another set, which I
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 1, 2003
                          • 0 Attachment
                            --- In runes-divination@yahoogroups.com, bob oswald
                            <oswaldtherunemaker@y...> wrote:
                            >
                            > This is not really on the Gebo matter, but it is
                            about "coincidence".

                            Concerning losing runes, I recently lost a couple from a bone set I
                            owned. I used this opportunity to get out another set, which I made
                            myself (with a little help), consisting of rock quartz. It seems the
                            new set is doing the trick. I also made four other sets while
                            recently in hospital -- clay, shells, leather and gum-nuts -- though
                            I tend not to use them much. The set of rune cards I own also come
                            in handy, so I use them in conjunction with the crystal set.

                            Maybe the other sets will come in handy down the track. It was
                            certainly fun making them, and the crystal set I am sure will have
                            much use into the years to come.

                            All the best!

                            Odin_Runer!
                          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.