Re: [runes-divination] Re: Welcome!

  • Jaretlb@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2002
      I think those were the first two books I read as well.
      Peschel's book lifts some of Ralph Blum's material
      directly, FYI. I don't think you can go wrong reading
      anything, as long as you keep an open mind and don't
      stop at any one text as a 'bible'.

      --- David <davedgreat2000@...> wrote:
      > Thank you for welcoming me to the group. I am just
      > starting to get
      > into Runes and have purchased a couple of books and
      > a set of Runes.
      > The books that I have are Futhark, A Handbook of
      > Rune Magic, by Edred
      > Thorsson (which I am currently reading) and the
      > other book is called
      > A practical guide to The Runes, Their uses in
      > Divination and Magick
      > by Lisa Peschel (I haven't read this book yet). I'm
      > not sure which
      > way I will be going (Traditional or New Age/Wiccan)
      > but once I study
      > more I will decide then. I will also be going
      > through this group for
      > more information and hopefully find someone who
      > lives close by to me
      > in Los Angeles, CA to be a mentor and friend. I
      > greatly appreciate
      > any and all information and help in this.
      >
      > Thank you once again,
      >
      > David

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • David
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2002
        My plan is to study all I can about the Runes, their history and to
        learn all I can about the people that used them before me. I am
        beginning to see that there really is no one book to read that is all
        encompassing (the one Rune Bible) so that makes it more difficult for
        the beginner, especially when there is no one on earth that knows all
        about them. So Research is a must for us all. I will of couse be
        doing just that. By joining this group and a few others and reading
        up on the Runes, I will be gaining the knowledge I seek. And of
        course I always keep an open mind to everything I do.

        Thanks for your advice,

        David
      • arlene soriano
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2002
          My name is Arlene and like you I'm still a beginner.
          Anyway, I am sending you a message to welcome you to
          the group and hope you have a great time.

          I just want to tell you that reading books about runes
          is a great start and I suggest that you should
          continue it.

          As of now I don't have any advise to give to you for I
          am still a novice and inexperienced and similar to you
          I tend to read the books that I have regarding runes.

          That's about it and hope you have a nice day

          Arlene

          http://uk.my.yahoo.com
        • bob oswald
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 12, 2003

            Hi All

            Beginners can probably learn a lot of the basics by visiting my website www.runemaker.com. Sure, it's a commercial site where I sell all kinds of rune wares, including ready made (and ready empowered) rune sets, but there are hundreds nof pages of free information there, too.

            I also rune an eZine that might be of interest to all runes enthusiasts and you can find out about that at www.runezine.com

            Look forward to seeing you on my sites.

            Bob Oswald
            The Runemaker

          • Os <witch@faelord.net>
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 13, 2003
              Hi Bob

              Very pleased to have you on the group. I have to agree yours is a very
              good site and your newsletter is an excellent read too. I do keep a
              regular eye on your board and find some interesting debates there. So
              I would definitely encourage people to visit it. I haven't yet had the
              chance to see your wares first hand yet (some day!), but from the
              pictures on the site they look impressive.

              I have no problem with the fact it is a commercial site. One bitter
              lesson I have learned over the last year is that providing free
              information about the runes costs one money (in my case about $199 a
              month) and if one can offset those costs, then it makes sense.

              This is a wide community and all of those with different skills,
              including commercial rune makers and rune readers, have something to
              contribute and a different perspective to offer. We look forward to
              you all sharing your experiences with us.

              Os
              Moderator, runes-divination@yahoogroups.com

              --- In runes-divination@yahoogroups.com, bob oswald

              enthusiasts and you can find out about that at www.runezine.com

              > Look forward to seeing you on my sites.
              >
              > Bob Oswald
              > The Runemaker

              > With Yahoo! Mail you can get a bigger mailbox -- choose a size that
              fits your needs