Re: [runes-divination] Checking in after awhile...................

  • Jaretlb@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2002
      I have sets of stones
      > from many places
      > that I have visited. Silly me, I collect books and
      > stones, makes for
      > heavy suitcases. :)
      >
      > I do this too, I'm so glad I'm not the only one :)
      Rocks and shells. I have been criticised for using
      stone runes (not a traditional material, don't you
      know) but no other material feels right to me.

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • shann
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 30, 2002

        i use stones to! ^_^ i use them for healing and foucusing energy

          Jaretlb@... wrote:

        I have sets of stones
        > from many places
        > that I have visited.  Silly me, I collect books and
        > stones, makes for
        > heavy suitcases.  :)
        >
        > I do this too, I'm so glad I'm not the only one :)
        Rocks and shells.  I have been criticised for using
        stone runes (not a traditional material, don't you
        know) but no other material feels right to me.

      • Os
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2002
          --- In runes-divination@y..., "Linda" <rune_mistress@y...> wrote:

          > Curses/Rune Magick:
          > In this reality we call earth, there are many experiences.
          Because
          > we do not have one does not mean it does not exist for others.
          > Indeed each of us creates our own experience according to our
          > indoctrination and belief systems. Therefore curses do indeed exist
          > for some and saying they do not does not offer help.

          I don't think I have ever doubted the existence of curses, indeed my
          response was motivated by the fact that in order to resist them
          successfully one needs to utilise a belief system in which one has
          confidence. The fact the original questioner was not even sure if this
          could be done with runes suggested they did not have the experience
          and understanding necessary to use runes to perform this function.
          While one could offer a theoretical explanation, that wouldn't allow
          someone to use the information unless they had the faith that can only
          come from previous experimentation with rune magick. Resisting a curse
          requires a strong will and that requires it be rooted in a belief
          system one knows well and understands.

          What I did doubt, and indeed still doubt, based on personal
          experience, is that the majority of so-called curses are real. If
          resisting a curse requires a knowledge and experience of a magick
          system, creating one requires no less. It is not a simple or easy
          process. Most "curses" rely on the power of suggestion alone. Anyone
          can turn around to anyone else and say "I have put a curse on you".
          This doesn't mean they have, or it will work. Though human nature
          being what it is, if it is said with sufficient emphasis, the person
          hearing it, may well believe the statement, and attribute anything bad
          that happens in the next few days to the "curse".

          The "magician" however has done nothing to make the world more hostile
          to the "cursed" person. No actual magick has been enacted, only
          psychological manipulation. Now I don't deny this is part of a curse,
          indeed a crucial part, but it is not all there is.

          If we look at Egil's saga, there is a story there about the erection
          of a Nihdstang (cursing pole). His cursing pole consists of a
          rune-carved pole atop of which is fixed a dead animal's head. The
          animal's head makes it recognisable as a cursing pole, it is
          intimidating to look at and so breeds fear in those who see it.
          Creating the ideal conditions for the curse to work, particularly when
          , as in this case, a particular outcome is sought. If people don't
          associate their misfortune with your curse, then they won't change
          their behavior. That is why the psychological side of the curse is
          key, the victim must be terrified and so be persuaded to act as the
          person who made the curse wanted.

          However, as I said before, there must be actual magick to change
          reality and make the victim's life less pleasant. That the victim
          will suffer cannot be left to chance. This is where most modern curses
          fall down. In the example of Egil though it is the runes on the pole
          which enact the magickal side of the curse. Hence this is what I
          regard as a true curse - psychological manipulation + magick.

          I don't deny the reality of curses. Though in my experience most of
          what are called curses are people chancing their arm and they have no
          real force behind them. If they are real though, then it is really
          important that you counter them using a method you have confidence in.
          About a year ago, I got called in as a consultant over a situation.
          Though my scientific side doubted I would find anything untoward. When
          I arrived, I discovered a very real, very powerful malignant
          supernatural entity. Though I am not normally one for mixing/matching
          magick/belief systems, this was a situation where more than one person
          was needed, and everyone had to be totally confident of their safety
          during the ritual. Had one person doubted, and their will weakened, we
          would have been attacked and lost. Hence each of us called upon those
          deities and forces in which we had the strongest belief, resulting in
          quite a diverse collection. I could have explained to the person who
          used celtic deities and magick about norse deities and rune magick,
          but their heart wouldn't have been in it, and in that situation it
          would have been a potentially catastrophic choice. There are
          similarities with curses, it doesn't matter what magick system you use
          to counter them, but it has to be something you have strong faith in,
          not just something you have heard about.

          > Reading for others:
          > *Smiling wide* I have had so many experiences with this. Once my
          > daughter brought home a woman who REALLY want a rune reading. The
          > reading was VERY severe to her and she was VERY angry that the runes
          > did NOT tell her about her next love and happily ever after. :) My
          > sister-in-law has gotten the same reading/advice from the runes for
          > years! She does not want to hear it and does not act on it.

          I have a friend, who I did a reading for, its one I will never forget.
          In a lot of the training stuff I have written over the years I have
          told students that actually seeing death in the runes is very rare.
          Also that when one is interpreting a reading, take great care with the
          words you choose to present the interpretation to the client using.
          When I saw that reading though, I broke all my rules and told my
          friend that it was pretty much a case of quit the relationship or die.
          The sensations from that reading we so strong I could almost visualise
          the scene of her death at her boyfriend's hand (regulars will know how
          I struggle with visualisation/mental imagery normally). She was
          shocked by the reading, but didn't want to believe it. She found
          excuses to stay in the relationship, why it wasn't really abusive, why
          she wasn't being used. She kept asking again and again for more rune
          readings. Under the pressure, I caved in and gave them to her. And
          time and time again the same message came up. Sometimes the runes
          subtly varied, sometimes the exact runes repeated. She never wanted to
          believe them and never acted on them. Hence she stayed in a bad
          situation much longer than necessary or sensible. Happily she did get
          out in the end and is now happily married.

          It was a good illustration though of two things. One: that if you do
          not act on the advice of the runes, there is no point in conducting
          further readings. Two: how dependent some people can become on the
          runes and the need to hear "good news". The runes empower us, they
          give us information and we then make decisions based upon their
          advise. Ultimately the decisions are ours though and responsibility
          remains with us. More than once I have seen people who want to let the
          runes make major life-changing decisions for them. That's one reason I
          am personally against the yes/no type of question being used with the
          runes. I believe the runes are for offering counsel, not telling us
          what to do. Then they become, not a force for good, widening our
          consciousness, but a way to enslave us, our master, not our servant.

          Os
          moderator, runes-divination@yahoogroups.com