Hello!

  • R.Valerio
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
      Hello! My name is Mel and I just thought I'd introduce
      myself to the list. I've been working with the
      runes(divination) for quite a while and have started
      reading Erdred Thorsson's book FUTHARK. I am also
      going through the HAVAMAL for the moment.

      Mel
      goldenweasel2001@...

      http://digital.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Digital How To
      - Get the best out of your PC!
    • witchrune
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 2, 2002
        --- In runes-divination@y..., "R.Valerio" <goldenweasel2001@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hello! My name is Mel and I just thought I'd introduce
        > myself to the list.

        Welcome to the group! My apologies things have been a little quiet
        here lately, life has been very busy for me, and is often the case
        with this group, after a previous month of intense debate people feel
        "talked-out" and need a little while to recover and come up with fresh
        postings. So to new people who have joined us, stick with us, there
        are some great debates that take place on this list and a lot of
        knowledgeable people, however we tend to post only when we have
        something useful to say so you will experience periods of silence.

        I've been working with the
        > runes(divination) for quite a while and have started
        > reading Erdred Thorsson's book FUTHARK.

        Futhark is an excellent book, however its one that it took me some
        years to realise the full quality of. Flowers (Thorsson) is without
        doubt one of, if not the, most thorough of rune writers, having done
        considerable academic research including translation of rune
        inscriptions. Even his more esoteric works are still thoroughly
        grounded in this deep knowledge of runes.

        I am also
        > going through the HAVAMAL for the moment.

        For those who don't know, Havamal, is the section of the Poetic Edda
        which includes the discovery of the runes and is in fact what the last
        couple of posts have been about. It does include much more than this
        though, I did write a fairly comprehensive guide to it a few weeks ago
        with a view to posting here which I have now mislaid. I will search
        again at the weekend and hopefully post it early next week. There,
        something to look forward to!

        Os
        moderator, runes-divination@yahoogroups.com
      • Torran
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 2, 2002

           MEL!! Hiya Kid. Glad to see you here.

          <<>>Torran

          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 2, 2002
            Heilsa Os! Thanks for the welcome, really appreciate
            that. Yes, FUTHARK is quite a book on the runes but I
            am currently chewing on it with nothing more than
            small bites at a time(*giggles*). It is a little
            scholastic for someone like me who only finished high
            school, but I think, a book worth working up to.

            The HAVAMAL? I have always been wanting to get my
            teeth into it, but I was unfortunately delayed by
            extensive study(s) of James Allen Chilholm's TRUE
            HEARTH(and I was about to start with the POETIC EDDA
            by Caroline Larrington as well as Erdred Thorsson's A
            BOOK OF TROTH). Well, anyway, I kind of like this
            particular version of THE HAVAMAL, and so I am going
            through it right now. This version is found at : -

            http://www.ragweedforge.com/havamal.html

            Another version of THE HAVAMAL I found to be helpful
            was the : -

            http://www.nycpagan.com/havamal.html

            I have a great interest in the THE HAVAMAL, and mainly
            due to its value as something of a guideline for my
            own life. Of course, I am far from being the perfect
            student!(*laughter*). I have enough trouble dealing
            with the NINE NOBLE VIRTUES and the SIX-FOLD
            GOALS(*giggles*.....*sigh*...)

            Thanks again for the welcome!

            wassail!

            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 2, 2002
              --- Torran <torran@...> wrote:

              > MEL!! Hiya Kid. Glad to see you here.
              > <<>>Torran

              Hey, how are you?! I hope all goes well for you!