Re: Ur/Uruz/Reverse & Converse?

  • opossum13@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 25 10:44 PM
      Well, I don't actually use converse meanings; I lay all my runes face down and turn them up as I progress through the reading. I'm guessing Oswald literally "casts" his runes (throws down a handful).

      I get the sense that you're looking pretty hard for the "right" meanings of the runes and the "right" way to go about reading them (pretty much everyone starts out that way - I certainly did!). The thing is, we don't have a big, definitive body of work on this. The closest thing we have are the three runes poems, which are vague, and a few references from the various eddas. Oswald has got a great website with a lot of helpful references and I generally agree with a lot of his interpretations, but in the end it's a website, not Odin speaking directly to you.

      I think it's helpful to think of this more like a discussion of a "soft" science like psychology rather than something like chemistry where there's definitely a right and wrong answer. There are different schools of thought, and our approaches will be based on our individual experiences as much as anything else; this isn't wrong, it's just very different from the doctrinal, dogmatic way we're taught to view religion in our culture. As you make your runes, use them and meditate on them, they really will Speak to you and tell what they're trying to say.

      This is not to say that all approaches and/or all readers are equally credible; for example, if someone told me that Isa represented warmth and fellowship, my reaction would be "WTF?"

      Okay, that was an overly long and tangental way to say "I'm sorry, I can't help you with the converse meanings." Hopefully someone else can if you are interested in using them.

      Rhonda

      --- In runes-divination@yahoogroups.com, Keelty_Sage <walksalone2004@...> wrote:

      > We have been talking about reverse meanings, but Oswald talks about converse. How are they that much different?
      > http://www.runemaker.com/futhark/uruz.shtml
      >
      > For Ur:
      > Oswald says Reverse is Failure to think clearly. Ill-health or lack of mental fortitude. Beware signs of weakness, or threats to your person or position.
      > He says Converse is Hidden strengths must be realized. Shun apparent opportunities, the signs are deceptive.
      > Is he trying to say that reverse is something negative no matter what and converse is a warning sign of something you can avoid?
      > Martha

    • Richard B
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2013
        To those who don't know, just about any language not written with the "western" alphabet will always look like chicken scratch.  I think it's important for those of us familiar with the runes to help people understand that these chicken scratchings do form the basis of an language that was both written and spoken.
        Blessings -

        Richard
        There never was a good war or a bad peace. Benjamin Franklin

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2013
          It seems to me that converse is like the other side of the same coin and reverse is more akin to what some name as merkstave ir upside down.  Merkstave, the way I understand and interpret is means "opposite", i.e. the negative side; whereas coverse can give more of a complete story of the same thing.  Since there are no hard and fast rules here, this is probably open to the interpretation of practitioners.

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2013
            My practice is to cast all the runes and from them pick the three which I will use in the reading.  I pick from the upside-down ones so I don't see them until I turn them over.  Sometimes, though I will just reach into my rune bag and pick out three at randon.

            --- In mailto:runes-divination%40yahoogroups.com, Keelty_Sage wrote:

            > We have been talking about reverse meanings, but Oswald talks about converse. How are they that much different?
            > http://www.runemaker.com/futhark/uruz.shtml
            >
            > For Ur:
            > Oswald says Reverse is Failure to think clearly. Ill-health or lack of mental fortitude. Beware signs of weakness, or threats to your person or position.
            > He says Converse is Hidden strengths must be realized. Shun apparent opportunities, the signs are deceptive.
            > Is he trying to say that reverse is something negative no matter what and converse is a warning sign of something you can avoid?
            > Martha

          • magus
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2013
              Greetings
               I confess it is the first time i have heard about it.This is something everyone can do. I  first did it with my I-Ching cards. Yo can do it wth your runes. Sit on the ground and put your Runes all around you and pick any one rune at random look at it, try to feel its energy, its attributes, soon when you practice enough(quality time, not quantity)you will b e surprised at what your runes will tell you. Rnes is best made on wood.

                                ULF FRATER
              WOLF(ULF)MAN..........OOOOWWWWWWWOOOOWWWW........

              >________________________________

            • Keelty_Sage
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 2, 2013
                Actually I was more wondering why there was even a need for a converse meaning. To me a positive or negative (reverse) meaning should be enough. I think in the end this is how I will look at it. To me positive means I have a green light and reverse it a yellow light that I need to look real good before crossing the road so to speak. See I use a very simple way of looking at things.
                I like you opinions so glad you didn't just say, "I can't help you".
                Martha

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2013
                  I am very thankful you folks are here to help us learn about them. Thank you.
                  martha

                  From: mailto:opossum13%40rocketmail.com mailto:fausthaus13%40gmail.com>

                  To: mailto:runes-divination%40yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 6, 2013
                    Thanks Wolf, this sounds like a very good idea. It makes sense to me anyway. The more time you spend with a person the better you get to know them so why not the same with cards, tiles, or even stones.
                    Martha