Re: [runes-divination] Hello I am new here

  • magus
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 23, 2013
      Greetings
      Welcome Mae runes are the best way to empower your soul. Hope you are looking at it for more than just divinations. You are of nordic descent which makes it more special.

                                     ULF FRATER
      WOLF(ULF)MAN..........OOOOWWWWWWWOOOOWWWW........

      >________________________________

    • Jude DaShiell
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 24, 2013
        Why not search for Ravencast which is a podcast I think you'll find much
        useful material.On Thu, 17 Jan 2013, Keelty_Sage wrote:

        > Hello! I am new here.
        > A little about myself, I am 61, married for 35 years, and live in Illinois. I like to be called Mae or Keelty Sage. I became interested in paganism in 2003, studied Celtic Greenwitch with a teacher in 2007. I tried Wicca but it just didn't feel right. Recently through DNA I learned of am of Nordic descent. Since I have started trying to learn about the Norse people I am feeling more comfortable with it.
        > I have only studied the tarot, but do know that the runes were what the Vikings used so would like to learn how to use them. I look forward to learning from you folks here.
        > Thanks you for allowing me to be here.
        > Keelty Sage

        jude <jdashiel@...>
        Adobe fiend for failing to Flash
      • Brenda
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 24, 2013
          Hi, Keelty, and welcome. This group is not very active; although it was at one time. I'm 64 and I too delved into Wicca for a brief time. It didn't feel right for me either. I have been studying the runes for quite some time. I even made my own set from a fallen branch of wood. In addition I made a bindrune for a friend's son who was going to Afghanistan; he had it tattooed on his inner forearm. Pretty cool. Currently I am an apprentice in the Ancient Order of Druids in America. Druidry fits me perfectly! And the study of runes is something that can be pursued within the order. The website is aoda.org

          Maybe we can get this group active again. I would love to. Each rune has so many connotations and there is so much to learn and do.. I don't know who the list owner is.

          Brenda Jenkins Kleager
          brendajenkinskleager.com

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2013
            Thank you for the welcome. Actually I am trying to learn how they actually lived. I know that Viking was a trade, not a way of religion so much. Vikings were seafaring people. Also not all Scandinavian, and Nordic people went to sea, some were farmers.
            In my research I have learned that the Runes was their alphabet. Here is some of what I found:Runes
            Through Time

            by
            Nicole Sanderson

            The Vikings are often
            portrayed as illiterate, uncultured barbarians who evinced more interest in
            plunder than in poetry. In fact, the Vikings left behind a great number of
            documents in stone, wood and metal, all written in the enigmatic symbols known
            as runes. They relied on these symbols not only for writing but also to tell
            fortunes, cast spells, and provide protection.

            Early Germanic tribes of northern Europe were first to develop runes, but the
            Scandinavians soon adopted the symbols for their own use. When the seafaring
            Vikings traveled to faraway lands, they brought their system of writing with
            them, leaving runic inscriptions in places as distant as Greenland. Wherever
            they went, Vikings turned to runes to express both the poetic ("Listen, ring-bearers,
            while I speak/Of the glories in war of Harald, most wealthy") and the
            prosaic ("Rannvieg owns this box"), inscribing them on everything
            from great stone monuments to common household items.

            http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/vikings/runesright.html

            Also could some explain what is meant by "The Thing" on this website:DAILY LIFE IN THE VIKING PERIOD

            http://www.arild-hauge.com/elife.htm

            Viking Society - A
            Self-Regulated Society

            Viking society was
            self-regulated. Law and order was based upon the Thing system, which had
            already been established via common-meetings dating to least 600 AD. The Thing
            had legislative and judiciary powers. Every free man had a duty to meet at the
            Thing’s common-meetings, except men who farmed alone and were unable to
            leave their farm unattended. Also, women and handicapped people could attend
            the Thing. Among other items, the Vikings elected their King at the Thing.
            These common-meetings might last several days, therefore the Thing was also an
            occasion for a large marketplace and festival.

            Hope this helps you understand what I am looking for. Here
            is how my DNA actually broke down: 49 percent Scandinavian, 36 percent Central
            European, 13 percent British Isles, and 2 percent unknown. I was orginially
            drawn to the Irish, or Celtic, path so have studied Celtic Green Witch in the
            past, then moved on to Hedge Rider. As you may guess I use The Wildwood Tatot
            for my devination, which I seldom take time for.

            Mae