Re: Book Review: Pierced by the Light, Rig Svenson

  • Michele
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 27, 2008
      I look forward to finally getting or order your book Rig, and to
      emerse myself in a trusted source of knowledge!

      Michele

      --- In runes-divination@yahoogroups.com, Rig Svenson
      <rig_svenson@...> wrote:

      > Heilsa Os,
      >
      > Again thank you very much for kindly doing a review on my book. I
      am in your debt for this. Please note that there is a cut off point
      in publications and no more room for a detailed explanation of the
      rune system at that time. My next serious book planned on runes will
      detail examples of divination with this method plus some very
      interesting NEW insights since I finished this book in 1998.

> [...]
      >
      > Chapter 5 is clearly very important to the author but sits uneasily
      > within the book as a whole. Though I have a training in English
      > Literature/Language, and an interest in language generally, I found
      > the chapter on Runic Phonetics extremely hard going and I would not
      > be surprised if a substantial percentage of the readership don't
      > complete reading this one. That said, this is not an easy topic to
      > present and one could do much worse than Svenson's coverage of
      > it. I do feel however that a publishing opportunity has been lost
      > since what is really called for is an audio CD to accompany this
      > chapter enabling the different sound variations to be heard. This
      > would I think make it much more accessible.
      >
      > How we relate to and perceive the narrator plays a key role in how
      we
      > feel about a text. British newspaper reporters who..shock horror..
      > had discovered that such things as brothels existed traditionally
      > ended their article with the phrase "I made my excuses and
      > left". The readership were hence supposed to perceive the
      > reporters as highly moral beings emotionally detached from the
      > situation they described and immune from temptations. Such
      narrative
      > techniques have the potential to isolate and alienate the reader.
      > Most of us do not respond well to perfection, it is too far from
      how
      > we perceive ourselves and those around us. An author who succumbs
      > the temptation to appear god-like may well find he loses the
      sympathy
      > of his reader. Inspite of Ralph Blum's many flaws he does manage
      > to engage his readers whereas many others are content to preach at
      > them from the touchline. Svenson is a likeable guide who scores
      well
      > here because he shares with us his personal experiences, including
      > some very meaningful ones such as an encounter with Odin via Freya
      > Aswynn. One strongly feels his energy, enthusiasm and the close
      > connection he has to the goddess Freyja. Indeed he excels in
      > presenting the mythological in terms which anyone can relate to.
      > Having just spoken to a friend who was searching for missing
      > spectacles, I could feel an immediacy in his description of the
      > protective actions of the Desir.
      >
      > Svenson is an unapologetic purist but having said that it may
      > surprise some when I relate that he can be quite open minded and
      non-
      > prescriptive, admitting for example that his book does not contain
      > definitive answers but signposts for a personal and unique journey
      > each of us make, and that what works for one may well not work for
      > another. Occasionally he becomes more rigid but then which of us
      > hasn't principles on which we won't budge? Admittedly I did
      > sometimes feel like challenging him. His condemnation of distant
      rune
      > reading was an example. Since we are all connected by the web of
      Wyrd
      > I didn't see the logic in this. To me the runes are just a way of
      > becoming aware of the tapestry into which our lives are woven and
      the
      > distance between reader and client is not an issue. However there
      is
      > always a problem with making generalizations about the runes since
      > practically anything one says someone can be guaranteed to jump
      > forward to contradict.
      >
      > Even in areas where I might have disagreed with him, I felt no
      sense
      > of irritation which is more than I can say about some other
      authors.
      > He clearly cares for his reader and the book is full of practical
      > advice such as his warnings about being careful to evaluate modern
      > Norse groups before joining them. In this way he does much to
      prepare
      > the reader for potential pitfalls on the way ahead. His approach is
      > straightforward commonsense one.
      >
      > Typical of this is a remark near the end of the book explaining
      that
      > just because you can mix curry and sugar together doesn't
      > necessarily mean that you should. This is in relation to the
      > "pick and mix" approach of modern paganism. Certainly there
      > is a danger that when you believe in everything, in reality you
      > believe in nothing. However, I do also appreciate that things are
      not
      > always so simple. I have spoken to many who have heard the call of
      > the runes, and it is a difficult call to resist, but have not
      wanted
      > to deviate from their chosen way, which in one case was
      Christianity.
      > For myself, my runic practice is I believe entirely consistent with
      > the Northern Tradition but, as long time readers of this group will
      > know, I am a on a different wider path resulting from an
      > archaeological discovery I was involved with. Until I complete this
      > journey I cannot start another. When the divine/spiritual calls
      upon
      > us, I believe we must respond nor can we desire it to take on
      > different forms which might be more convenient for us. Whilst
      reading
      > this book though, one throw-away remark made me sit upright in a
      > moment of epiphany considering for the first time that a perceived
      > incompatibility with the path might be overcome. Thus, while I can
      > agree with the general sentiments Svenson expresses I also have a
      > perception that sometimes people may not have such as
      straightforward
      > choice as he may believe.
      >
      > Those parts of his book dealing with the runes prove some of the
      most
      > interesting and non-typical. Svenson is more of a supporter of the
      > Armanen runes than myself, nonetheless I heeded his call to
      approach
      > them with an open mind, though by the end I stayed unconvinced. It
      > depends on an interpretation of a passage in the Havamal that I
      found
      > plausible but still did not subscribe to. Nonetheless it is clear
      > this is a book which will provoke many debates, something which can
      > only be healthy for runic scholarship.
      >
      > Though he is not the first author to suggest runic divination was
      > traditionally done with sticks, Tyson is another who comes
      > immediately to mind, Svenson has detailed his method well and it
      > seems as though it should be comparatively easy to learn and
      perform,
      > though I sadly did not have opportunity before writing this.
      However