Have the Runes Changed You?

  • Os
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 2001
      This months discussion topic is whether or not using the runes has
      changed us in any way. I have been thinking about it and yes,
      definitely it has.

      For one thing progress with the runes comes through self-discovery. To
      first obtain the runes the god Odin underwent a shamanistic ritual of
      deprivation leading to a moment of awareness and each of us who uses
      the runes wil find that as we come to know the runes better, we also
      come to know ourselves too. There is something very personal about the
      runes. Users of many oracular (divinatory) systems are discouraged
      from reading for themselves, but with the runes not only is it
      encouraged but it is close to essential.

      Secondly, I think to be a good rune reader you have to care about
      people and have an understanding of them. Reading the runes then I
      think helps you to become a more compassionate person and less
      personally-fixated. Some people may feel this contradicts the first
      paragraph, but it does not. Self-knowledge is actually a humbling
      process. I am reminded of Douglas Adam's Total Perspective Vortex
      which causes people's minds to shatter showing them the whole universe
      and then an arrow pointing out "you are here!". Once we realise we are
      not the center of the universe we are better able to recognise the
      worth of others and how we should function not just as individuals but
      collectively in society, caring for and supporting each other.

      Finally, within the runes there are messages for each of us in how we
      live our lives. If you hear them enough times they cannot help but
      have an effect. I can't reach for my wallet these days without
      thinking what Fehu (Feoh) teaches us about the intangibility of money.

      But, lets hear some of your views on this topic

      OS
      moderator, runes-divination@yahoogroups.com
    • tiffanidixon@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 7, 2001
        I have not yet made my runes so I can not answer this yet. I will let you
        know when I know.

        All we see and all we seem,
        Is but a dream within a dream.
        from the poem Dream Within a Dream by Edgar Allan Poe