Re: Ing/Ingwaz & The Fire Inside

  • Robin
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 27, 2005
      Hello Randy,
      Thank you so much for being a participant in my enlightenment. I
      appreciate your replies. When I read your first post with the
      references to ING & you mentioned the rune Elhaz, I began to try to
      connect the two in various ways. I believe that all things are
      either truly connected or have the ability to be connected in some
      way...& I have definitely been told that I "think way too
      much"...way too often! However, I truly believe that I use my
      intuition equally :o) To begin with, I am not overly fond of
      reversed runes but because every positive has to have a negative, I
      accept the reversed positions & attempt to use them in a positive
      way. The runestave for Elhaz in it's upright position to me reminds
      me of "reaching for the sky or to the sun"(ING=energy~the Sun is a
      great producer of energy). I know that Sowulo is a rune that
      channels the power of the sun...and that it also symbolizes the
      illumination that the sun provides, but to me, ING & Sowulo are both
      runes of "fire" & thus in some way, each is related to the other.
      Now, if I reverse the Elhaz rune, I have what could look like or
      could "seem to be" either a tree trunk with roots reaching to the
      ground or maybe it could be a pole(keep in mind that we have both
      North & South Poles) with chains attached to the pole that chain it
      to the earth. Did you know that in Peru there is a pole of stone on
      an alter that is or was known as the "Hitching Post"?? Guess what
      it's function was??

      Somewhat strangely, the "ZZ" sound of Elhaz has kept me awake for
      hours on end...while simultaneously considerING...the ING rune!
      They seem almost inseparable to me. I have put pillows over my head
      for the past few nights to no avail...the sound is still there!
      Within, the letters of ELHAZ are the words "HEAL" & "ZEAL". Zeal to
      me, equates to a "zest" for life...which brings me back to "the fire
      inside" & quite possibly the "Hitching Post, was truly meant to be a
      way to "heal" the Earth. Again to me, it seems to relate in some
      way to maintaining the positions of the Earth's axis and/or
      alignment.

      Someone also brought up the "spiral" today. Are you guys looking
      over my shoulder every moment of the day ;o) I have also spent
      hours in the past few days...contemplating & actually drawing with
      colored pencils, spiral after spiral. The universe is a spiral...it
      loops & it loops indefinitely. The sun(Sowelo) never "rises" & even
      though..it seems like it does...it still does not appear to rise in
      the same place from one day to the next. Our Earth "day" is not
      only 24 hours. The "average day" is 24 hours/3minutes & 56/57sec.
      Are we "gaING" time every day...or is the uni~verse itself expanding
      to "compensate" for the apparent daily GaIN?? I have also been
      givING a reason(re-sun) to believe that ING & the spiral are very
      intimately connected. In my vision(s), & I have to admit that I have
      alot of them, ING is woman not a man...although the voice that I
      hear is that of what sounds like, that of an "older" man. ING seems
      to be her implied "full" name. I have seen ING casting spiral waves
      of color, repeatedly...over & over. The man tells her..."Keep
      trying...ING, keep tryING." Maybe the real meanING of this is that
      the universe is expandING slowly...but "a little here...a little
      there"...over a period of "apparent time"...equates to a massive
      amount of GaIN eventually. I haven't seen any replies to my color
      question but I'll mention anyway, that I saw ING wearing a long red
      gown with long sleeves.

      As for gettING your runes "mixed up"...that may be partly being done
      on purpose, for your very own benefit. I often hear the words in my
      thoughts(really)..."Let's mix it up" or "It's in the mix"(possibly a
      shortened version of MATRIX). I don't believe that it's the nature
      of the universe to be bored. The only thING certain in an
      ever~changING world..is change :o)
      Robin...

      PS: I don't think anyone should apologize for being wrong, or making
      mistakes. We are here to make mistakes & we are "supposed to" make
      them. I always tell my children, "Don't apologize for being wrong,
      only for not tryING."

      --- In runes-divination@yahoogroups.com, "R.A. Meeks"
      <rameeks01@y...> wrote:

      > "The rune represents the god ING, and refers to
      > focusing inward and gestation. It also represents
      > Elk."
      >
      > Duh, Randy.
      >
      > Sorry about that, Robin. See, I'm fascinated with
      > Elhaz and got my runes mixed up.
      >
      > Apologies all 'round. I think the rest of my quotes
      > were sound, though.
      >
      > randy
      >
      > "How ludicrous and outlandish is astonishment at anything that
      happens in life!" - Marcus Aurelius

      > "There's a lot of ugly things in the world, son. I wish I could
      keep them all away from you. That's never possible."~To Kill A
      Mockingbird~ (film adaptation)

      > "Remote on principle from one another - this is our charter and we
      would not have it any other way - each of us swims alone through a
      sea of social types. Talkers. Lunchers. Touchers. Nonloners. The
      world at large. The mob." - anneli rufus, ~party of one - The
      Loners' Manifesto~

      > "Home is where the books are." - Richard Burton
      >
      > "The cradle rocks above an abyss, and common sense tells us that
      > our existence is but a brief crack of light between two eternities
      > of darkness." - V. Nabokov, ~Speak Memory~
      >
      > "Life is an asylum where man meets his creator - and screams."
      > Mike Myers, a.k.a. Dieter, Saturday Night Live
      >
      > Luke: I'm looking for a great warrior. Yoda: Ahhh! A great
      warrior. Wars not make one great.

    • Robin
      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 28, 2005
        Hello Ingrid,
        Thank you for replying to my quest for information. I appreciate
        it. I love your name & it's references to the Sun! Even in your
        last name, the "sen" still "looks like" & "sounds like" sun :o) The
        fire influence appears three times. That would be a double-mirrored
        reflection! In what ways do you utilize the energy of Ing/Ingwaw &
        Sol/Sowilo in your day-to-day life? Do you bake alot, or do you
        garden or spend alot of time outdoors in the Sun?? It would seem
        like you would have to release all of that energy in some way. I get
        the impression that you like to solve puzzles :o)

        I am not really sure why, but the influence of the Sun/Sowilo has
        seemed to be following me around for over a year now. I favor Vedic
        astrology, which is primarily Moon/Berkana based over the Western
        syle, & I have do own & have read a Heliocentric book on astrology,
        but I am still having a difficult time understanding where all of
        this Sun/Sowilo influnce is coming from?? I just keep trying to put
        all of the pieces of the puzzle together, without a picture on the
        box to go by :o)

        I looked at some of the pages again on your website & was especially
        interested in the Tattoo page. Just scrolling down the page, I
        stopped on the 3 triangles tattoo & read about it. Oddly, that was
        my favorite one & I have had my entire life, the feeling that I would
        experience a violent death. I have even dreamed about the way that
        it will occur. I don't really mind...because it's always better to
        know than not to know. It's just seems to be easier to accept that
        way.
        Robin...

        --- In runes-divination@yahoogroups.com, sunnyway@a... wrote:

        > Ing/Ingwaz has always been special to me, too, given my real first
        name,
        > Ingrid. Likewise, Sol/Sowilo is special, since my middle name is
        Solveig. I
        > consider Ing and Sol/Sunna my patron gods. Both are "old gods", who
        came before
        > the Aesir.
        >
        > And now you know my secret, the origin of my screenname, Sunnyway.
        It arose
        > out of what I thought was a translation of Solveig, as "sunny
        way". Much
        > later I learned that rather than "veien" (road or way). the root
        is "ve" (sacred
        > enclosure).
        > Regards,
        > Sunny a/k/a Ingrid Solveig Halvorsen
        > Runes, Alphabet of Mystery
        > http://sunnyway.com/runes/

      • Robin
        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 29, 2005
          Hello, hello...everyone!!
          Mike, Thank you so much for your reply to my post. I appreciate
          your information. From the photo that I have seen of "the hitching
          post" that is located in Peru, there does seem to be, what could
          definitely be termed or described as a phallus, a statue(??) made
          out of stone on what appears to be an alter. Were there woman
          conductuction rites of sexuality held there?? I don't know, but it
          is very likely...due just to the "energy inpulses" that would have
          to be contained within the Ing/Soliwo runes...at least in my
          opinion :o) Fire burns bright..and wants to burn faster...

          However, I have seen nothing...in my visions, that I can really say
          have a sexual connatation about them. And I would admit it..if I
          had ;o) For the sake of research :o) Who knows, maybe I just have
          boring visions. For instance, take this one & try not to laugh:o)
          I saw ONE large horse hoove that was a brilliant white seemingly
          arise from what seem to be a water source or an ocean. At a
          slant...and across the top of the hoove were two thin bands of color
          side by side & overlapping, like those of a rainbow & those bands of
          light were violet/dark blue. I seemed to have the feeling that
          someone thought that this was the most magnificent thing in the
          world & it was now on disply for me to enjoy. Does anyone know if
          any of the old legends state what color that Sneipner, Odin's
          8~legged horse was?? I had always thought...up until now that Odin's
          horse was solid black ??

          I will also add that my daughter, Rhiannon, does own a very
          beautiful & large, black, draft horse. But I haven't been out to
          see her horse at the barn for about 3 months now.

          I'll give it some more thought & if you can see any connections
          between all of this & Ing/Sowilo, please let me know :o)

          Robin...

          --- In runes-divination@yahoogroups.com, mike garcia
          <exavierstud@y...> wrote:

> [...]
          > directly?
          >
          > Wassail,
          >
          > Mike
          >

          > --- "R.A. Meeks" <rameeks01@y...> wrote:
          >
          > > Greetings, Robin.
          > >
          > > What a great post. Thanks so much.
          > >
          > > Please keep in mind that I only became interested in
          > > the runes (or they in me) in June of this year. I
          > > did
          > > a quick search in the various books I have, and this
          > > is what they came up with. I've been having similar
          > > feelings and experiences about Elhaz/Algs, so you're
          > > not alone in this.
          > >
          > > From Leon Wild's book:
          > >
          > > The rune represents the god ING, and refers to
          > > focusing inward and gestation. It also represents
          > > Elk.
          > > "The rune is shaped like an enclosed space - a womb,
          > > seed, or cave." "In a practical sense, the Ingwaz
          > > rune deals with the storing and transformation of
          > > energy." All of which sounds very much like your
          > > post.
          > >
          > > From Diana Paxson:
          > > "Thorrson tells us that ING is the seed energy for
          > > gestation to result in plenty."
          > >
          > > Nigel Pennick refers to the rune as "INGUZ" -- "It
          > > is
          > > a symbol of light, representing a beacon or
          > > firebrand...Inguz signifies energy. Symbolically,
          > > the
          > > Inguz rune channels potential energy, bringing
          > > together and integrating previously separate
          > > things...
          > > It {the energy} builds up gradually..."
          > >
          > > I don't know if this all things you've already read,
          > > and I hope others will write to share their take on
          > > this rune.
          > >
          > > As I said, I am not even an apprentice. I'm just
          > > starting out, but I do not doubt that your focus on
          > > the rune has something to do with something this is,
          > > or will, be happening in your life.
          > >
          > > The Gods Bless.
          > >
          > > randy
          > >

          > > "How ludicrous and outlandish is astonishment at
          > > anything that happens in life!" - Marcus Aurelius
          > >
          > > "There's a lot of ugly things in the world, son. I
          > > wish I could keep them all away from you. That's
          > > never possible."~To Kill A Mockingbird~ (film
          > > adaptation)
          > >
          > > "Remote on principle from one another - this is our
          > > charter and we would not have it any other way -
          > > each of us swims alone through a sea of social
          > > types. Talkers. Lunchers. Touchers. Nonloners. The
          > > world at large. The mob." - anneli rufus, ~party of
          > > one - The Loners' Manifesto~
          > >
          > > "Home is where the books are." - Richard Burton
          > >
          > > "The cradle rocks above an abyss, and common sense
          > > tells us that
          > > our existence is but a brief crack of light between
          > > two eternities
          > > of darkness." - V. Nabokov, ~Speak Memory~
          > >
          > > "Life is an asylum where man meets his creator - and
          > > screams."
          > > Mike Myers, a.k.a. Dieter, Saturday Night Live
          > >
          > > Luke: I'm looking for a great warrior. Yoda: Ahhh! A

        • R.A. Meeks
          Message 4 of 30 , Nov 1, 2005
            Greetings, All.

            I'd like to present for consideration the following
            passage from Paul Mountfort's book, "Nordic Runes".
            I'd be very interested in what members of the group
            think of the passage. I realize it's one passage only,
            but any feedback to his work would be appreciated. How
            do you feel about his argument? If, indeed, it is an
            argument.

            Many thanks.

            By the way: Robin, are you ok? Just wondering. Hope
            so.
            randy
            ===
            p. 57-58, Nordic Runes, by Paul Rhys Mountfort,
            Destiny Books, 2003.

            "While intuition plays a role in an actual reading,
            the Rune names and associated Rune poems points to
            concrete mythological references within the great body
            of Norse mythological lore. Indeed, they provide a
            powerful key to this lore, one that, moreover, one
            that takes on a personal bearing through the processes
            of divination. With Nordic Runes, the reader can
            access the authentic tradition of using the Runes as
            tokens that invoke the themes and story lines of the
            old myths and legends. Turning to the commentaries set
            forth in "Runestaves," we can restore the purpose of
            the "runes of good help" and the ancient wisdom they
            evoke. By applying their meanings to the actual
            contours of our present-day lives, we ensure that not
            only the Runes but also these attendant tales take on
            a powerful, contemporary relevance.

            In the form of the Runes, we have perhaps the most
            precious inheritance of Northern paganism: a set of
            divinatory with esoteric and practical significations,
            a veritable spell book of magical operations, a system
            of spiritual teachings and pointers to higher pathways
            on par with kabbalism and the I-Ching. The Northern
            Mysteries branch of contemporary Paganism draws on
            these great wells of knowledge and learning, keeping
            alive and innovating a unique magical tradition.
            Indeed, the Runes provide a bridge for us between our
            age and the vanished world of pagan Norse culture."
            ===

[...]

          • Jon Butler
            Message 5 of 30 , Nov 1, 2005
              Heilsa R. A.,
              He says a lot, without much reference. Appears to be a common thing among those trying to pass off hokum IMO. Sounds like he is searching for a magic wand. Good luck to him.
              Jon

              "R.A. Meeks" <rameeks01@...> wrote:
[...]

              Divination Rune Diablo 2 rune Honda rune Norse runes

              ---------------------------------

              "The one hope of the doomed is not to hope for safety, Virgil."

            • Richard
              Message 6 of 30 , Nov 1, 2005
                It sounds like he's leading up to something along the lines of "this is the best and the only way." It makes me uneasy. Richard

[...]

                Never place a period where God has placed a comma. - Gracie Allen

              • Rig Svenson
                Message 7 of 30 , Nov 1, 2005
                  Heill RA Meeks,

                  I am inclined to agree with the sentiments of Jon here. Validity and reliability are very important rather then making broad general claims without any referencing, sadly this is all too common with many esoteric rune authors today writing on a Neo Pagan theme.

                  ***"While intuition plays a role in an actual reading,
                  the Rune names and associated Rune poems points to
                  concrete mythological references within the great body
                  of Norse mythological lore.***

                  The actual great body of Nordic lore is very fragmented with scant references to the runes. Furthermore the rune poems do not necessarily translate across as a direct reference to the *divinatory meanings and are very problematic in translation via modern English, in part because of the colourful kennings used by the scaldic poets and the fact that it was written in Icelandic and most likely only half remembered as an oral tradition.

                  ***Turning to the commentaries set
                  forth in "Runestaves," we can restore the purpose of
                  the "runes of good help" and the ancient wisdom they
                  evoke. By applying their meanings to the actual
                  contours of our present-day lives, we ensure that not
                  only the Runes but also these attendant tales take on
                  a powerful, contemporary relevance.***

                  Pure speculation, you would need to have a very strong grasp of the original language runes were first used in to come anywhere close to an understanding them. Modern English *runic adaptations are very flawed.

                  ***In the form of the Runes, we have perhaps the most
                  precious inheritance of Northern paganism: a set of
                  divinatory with esoteric and practical significations,
                  a veritable spell book of magical operations, a system
                  of spiritual teachings and pointers to higher pathways
                  on par with kabbalism and the I-Ching. ***

                  I was wondering when the kaballah and the I-Ching would get a plug. New Agey statement.
                  The author should read more indepth the sagas, they are by far much more interesting in heroic stories and exploits of the gods, goddesses and the folk who lived in the times when the runes were an actual living tradition. As for a runic spell book........of magical operations..........no such book, grimoire existed in Elder times. If you come across one, please let me know. The Icelandic Galdarbok is not runic BTW.This is a modern and incorrect assumption.

                  ***the Runes provide a bridge for us between our
                  age and the vanished world of pagan Norse culture."***

                  Agree with

                  This book is what I coin as an Asatru 101 and is another example of the inconsistancies so prevalent in todays reconstructions of elder ways via the Neo Pagan eclectic modern eye. I only wish future rune authors would spend more time doing real research before churning out such nonsense.

                  Heill ok vel

                  Rig

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • R.A. Meeks
                  Message 8 of 30 , Nov 2, 2005
                    Greetings, Rig.

                    Thanks for your commentary, and thanks to everyone
                    else, too.

                    I'm wondering whether you feel the runes have a
                    divinatory/magical aspect? Or just an alphabet of
                    sorts? And are those of us who don't have the
                    linguistic background able to learn from and
                    appreciate the runes?

                    And finally, do you think the runes are applicable to
                    our lives today? I've read your posts, and while I
                    agree with you that sound sources are crucial, I
                    sometimes get the impression from what you write that
                    the runes are of interest only in scholarly and
                    historical contexts.

                    I'd like to know -if you'd care to share- what your
                    feelings and thoughts are about the runes as a tool
                    for either self-exploration and/or dinvinatory/magical
                    purposes.

                    If I've misread or misinterpreted what you've written,
                    my apologies.

                    Message 9 of 30 , Nov 2, 2005
                      Heill RA Meeks,

                      Paul Rhys Mountfort Nordic Runes is clearly devoid of Occam's razor. Or to put it another way, All things being equal, the simplest explanation is the best one. I cannot understand why he introduces the Germanic 9 Worlds as a Kaballistic Tree of Life schematic? I seriously doubt if the ancient Germanic folk view ut as such. The runes are not a contemporary modern Occult system, they belong to another time, another language and a living tradition belonging to heithin folk about 1000 years or so ago.

                      Prior to the 80s, runes were treated as a secret*alphabet but as history shows us Edred Thorsson and Ralph Blum popularised the modern concept of runes as an *oracle and the perpetuation of this notion has gone from strength to strength without any real basis in evidence or historical fact. Since about 1985, many converts to Asatru has passed through Wicca and this is clearly shown by the numerous articles written by them on runes.

                      The tarot style *runic layouts, the so called antiquity of the runic oracle, rune tarot cards, rune crystals etc.

                      ****I'd like to know -if you'd care to share- what your
                      feelings and thoughts are about the runes as a tool
                      for either self-exploration and/or dinvinatory/magical
                      purposes.****

                      I never use runes to self explore, meditation is a very simple technique and does not require any other *key other then yourself. If you are refering to the common practice of visualisation on individual runes or *sending such runes via the astral world or modern experimentation with runes with other mediums such as crystals, I guess this is Neo Shamaniism or New Age.

                      For divination purposes, I reiterate my previous posts:

                      http://www.runewebvitki.com/Runes%20F%20A%20Qs.htm

                      As a divinatory tool, my own personal experience of them is one of remarkable accuracy but this is just my opinion. Regarding magic and the runes, very few folks comprehend exactly how this was done and what we have in essence today is re-constructions via experimentation.

                      Rig

                    • R.A. Meeks
                      Message 10 of 30 , Nov 3, 2005
                        "The runes are not a contemporary modern Occult
                        system, they belong to another time, another language
                        and a living tradition belonging to heithin folk about
                        1000 years or so ago."

                        Greetings, Rig.

                        But they are here, now, with us. I'm not suggesting,
                        nor do I think the author was, that we incorporate the
                        I-Ching or other divinatory systems into the Runes.
                        But even the runes changed during the time the
                        Northern peoples used them, yes? Someone in the year
                        1200 would have to have had a different take on the
                        runes than someonesay, from the year 500 ce or 100 ce.

                        We're now in 2005, and if they are to remain relevant
                        to us, we can't help but see them through our lenses.
                        And our lenses most certainly can and do include an
                        archeological (sp?) and scholarly take on the runes.
                        And a spiritual, historical take, too.

                        My only point, not that I claim I'm making it well, is
                        that the runes, if they're not just to be of arcane
                        interest to scholars must be applicable to our lives
                        and times.

                        No disrespect meant.

                        Message 11 of 30 , Nov 3, 2005
                          Heill RA Meeks,
                          ***We're now in 2005, and if they are to remain relevant
                          to us, we can't help but see them through our lenses.
                          And our lenses most certainly can and do include an
                          archeological (sp?) and scholarly take on the runes.
                          And a spiritual, historical take, too.***

                          I have tried to explain that you need to see the runes through
                          the eyes of those who once used them and not rely on modern
                          adaptations via Neo Paganism. If you cannot grasp this, then
                          you have to make do with reconstruction and badly invented ideas by
                          authors who write to suit a trend rather then the facts. This
                          is not the same as an evolvement of a living tradition from the beginning.
                          of time. The runes have always held a fascination with occultist,
                          so I guess the relevence as far as they are concerned is
                          tapping into some unknown factor or energy that they believe
                          they can harness or use for whatever end?

                          A quote from a kinsman of mine:
                          Wyrd Is, and the Well Remembers

                          As the runes stopped being a living tradition around the Middle Ages,
                          what we have today cannot be considered continuity, it is simply
                          reconstructionism via neo Shamanism or New Ageism.

                          Bil Linzie offers some interesting POVs on Germanic Spirituality.

                          http://www.angelfire.com/nm/seidhman/spirituality.pdf

                          ***My only point, not that I claim I'm making it well, is
                          that the runes, if they're not just to be of arcane
                          interest to scholars must be applicable to our lives
                          and times.

                          No disrespect meant.***

                          We need to strike a balance IMHO, in part because of all the
                          rubbish that has been put out about the runes....a good scholarship
                          helps ensure reliable referencing and research of the primary and
                          secondary sources. Learning to re-interprete Old Ideas in new ways
                          or coming up with new discoveries about our remote past and the runes.
                          A living faith requires logical as well as creative people to make it whole.

                          None taken

                          Heill ok vel

                          Rig

                        • R.A. Meeks
                          Message 12 of 30 , Nov 3, 2005
                            "If you cannot grasp this, then..."

                            Sorry, Rig, what's that you said? I was changing my
                            drool cup while trying to read your post...

                            Still trying to grasp. :oD

                              Message 14 of 30 , Nov 4, 2005
                                Hej Rig and Randy, I certainly agree with you Rig, you point was made well imo. Coming forth with the truth of the matter, though we all seem to wonder in different directions sometimes. Its really hard to explain what the runes are. In view of the matter when looking at the issue of the eyes of our kins, what did they see? For sure if you think the magical aspect of our past is as magical as some aclaim then Rig is right, stay to the so called Neo Pagans modern adoptions of the runes. Our past is magical to try too learn what it was meant to be. Learning to read and write in runes understanding them and why our kin runemaster's might of left a little piece of thier history for us to learn. That to me is magical in all to learn about the runes and imo should be the way to learn. We all get pushed off track in the begining with no one to blame but our selves but when a little wisdom peeks its way, always good to know someone with better knowledge is thier to help on our path in this
                                difficult study:-) Rig gave the big key in this I believe look at the logic in this;-). Wassail, Mike --- Rig Svenson wrote: > Heill RA Meeks, > ***We're now in 2005, and if they are to remain > relevant > to us, we can't help but see them through our > lenses. > And our lenses most certainly can and do include an > archeological (sp?) and scholarly take on the runes. > And a spiritual, historical take, too.*** > > I have tried to explain that you need to see the > runes through > the eyes of those who once used them and not rely on > modern > adaptations via Neo Paganism. If you cannot grasp > this, then > you have to make do with reconstruction and badly > invented ideas by > authors who write to suit a trend rather then the > facts. This > is not the same as an evolvement of a living > tradition from the beginning. > of time. The runes have always held a fascination > with occultist, > so I guess the relevence as far as they are > concerned is > tapping into some unknown factor
                                or energy that they > believe > they can harness or use for whatever end? > > A quote from a kinsman of mine: > Wyrd Is, and the Well Remembers > > As the runes stopped being a living tradition around > the Middle Ages, > what we have today cannot be considered continuity, > it is simply > reconstructionism via neo Shamanism or New Ageism. > > Bil Linzie offers some interesting POVs on Germanic > Spirituality. > > http://www.angelfire.com/nm/seidhman/spirituality.pdf > > ***My only point, not that I claim I'm making it > well, is > that the runes, if they're not just to be of arcane > interest to scholars must be applicable to our lives > and times. > > No disrespect meant.*** > > We need to strike a balance IMHO, in part because of > all the > rubbish that has been put out about the runes....a > good scholarship > helps ensure reliable referencing and research of > the primary and > secondary sources. Learning to re-interprete Old > Ideas in new ways > or coming up with new
                                discoveries about our remote > past and the runes. > A living faith requires logical as well as creative > people to make it whole. > > None taken > > Heill ok vel > > Rig > > > > > --------------------------------- > How much free photo storage do you get? Store your > holiday snaps for FREE with Yahoo! Photos. Get > Yahoo! Photos > > [Non-text portions of this message have been > removed] > >

                              • R.A. Meeks
                                Message 15 of 30 , Nov 4, 2005
                                  Greetings, Mike

                                  I am the first to acknowledge - and appreciate - Rig's
                                  extensive knowledge in so many different areas of this
                                  topic. As I've written before, I am, at best, a
                                  newcomer to the Runes, the Northern Tradtion, and the
                                  history and spirituality of the Northern Peoples. I've
                                  learned a great deal from Rig and hope to continue to
                                  do so.

                                  If I failed to make my point, then the failure lies
                                  with me. And, from the get-go, I agreed with Rig that
                                  knowing as much as we can about the the Tradition is
                                  critical to understanding the Runes and the role(s)
                                  they play in our lives. I think, perhaps, I
                                  unintentionally left the impression that I thought
                                  grafting or adding or supplementing Runelore with more
                                  modern approaches to divination was the way to go. I
                                  do not believe this, though I do think that if the
                                  Runes are to play a part in our lives, and we theirs,
                                  the evolution that Rig wrote so eloquently about must
                                  continue.

                                  Best,
                                  randy

                                • R.A. Meeks
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Nov 4, 2005
                                    Greetings, All

                                    Has anyone read anything from one or both of these
                                    volumes? Worth a look? Waste of time/money?

                                    Any feedback appreciated.

                                    Many thanks.
                                    randy

                                    TYR: Myth, Culture, Tradition
                                    Two Volumes

[...]

                                  • Moody Lawless
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Nov 4, 2005
                                      I have volume one of Tyr; it's very good and quite eclectic, with reviews of books, music as well as in depth articles and interviews.

                                      It concentrates on the Northern traditions, of course, but not in an antiquarian sense - it very much keeps it all alive.

                                      The review by Moynihan of Flower's book on Wiligut is very good, but then Moynihan was involved in that book too!
                                      And perhaps that is the only criticism - some things are a tad incestuous at times.
                                      Similar to the magazine Runa [by Ian Read] which tends to review and essay on its own productions.

                                      However, I would say that Tyr 1 is indispensable reading [my favourite articles are by Edred Thorsson/Flowers at the start, and the piece on Hermann Lons}

                                      "R.A. Meeks" <rameeks01@...> wrote:

                                      TYR: Myth, Culture, Tradition
                                      Two Volumes

                                      http://m-o-o-dy-l-a-w-l-e-s-s.blogspot.com

                                    • mike garcia
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Nov 5, 2005
                                        Hej Randy,

                                        Who wrote the books you are talking about?

                                        Wassail,

                                        Mike

                                        --- "R.A. Meeks" <rameeks01@...> wrote:

                                        > Greetings, All
                                        >
                                        > Has anyone read anything from one or both of these
                                        > volumes? Worth a look? Waste of time/money?
                                        >
                                        > Any feedback appreciated.
                                        >
                                        > Many thanks.
                                        > randy
                                        >
                                        > TYR: Myth, Culture, Tradition
                                        > Two Volumes
                                        >
                                        > "How ludicrous and outlandish is astonishment at
                                        > anything that happens in life!" - Marcus Aurelius
                                        >
                                        > "There's a lot of ugly things in the world, son. I
                                        > wish I could keep them all away from you. That's
                                        > never possible."~To Kill A Mockingbird~ (film
                                        > adaptation)
                                        >
                                        > "Remote on principle from one another - this is our
                                        > charter and we would not have it any other way -
                                        > each of us swims alone through a sea of social
                                        > types. Talkers. Lunchers. Touchers. Nonloners. The
                                        > world at large. The mob." - anneli rufus, ~party of
                                        > one - The Loners' Manifesto~
                                        >
                                        > "Home is where the books are." - Richard Burton
                                        >
                                        > "The cradle rocks above an abyss, and common sense
                                        > tells us that
                                        > our existence is but a brief crack of light between
                                        > two eternities
                                        > of darkness." - V. Nabokov, ~Speak Memory~
                                        >
                                        > "Life is an asylum where man meets his creator - and
                                        > screams."
                                        > Mike Myers, a.k.a. Dieter, Saturday Night Live
                                        >
                                        > Luke: I'm looking for a great warrior. Yoda: Ahhh! A
                                        > great warrior. Wars not make one great.

                                        __________________________________
                                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                                      • Beth Taylor
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Nov 5, 2005
                                          On 4 Nov 2005 19:53:22 -0000, Rig Svenson
                                          <<runes-divination@yahoogroups.com>rig_svenson@...

                                          wrote:

                                          >>A living faith requires logical as well as creative people to make it
                                          whole.<<

                                          I like this, Rig.

                                          Very much. ;-)

                                          Beth Taylor
                                          www.runegoddess.com <http://www.runegoddess.com>

                                        • R.A. Meeks
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Nov 5, 2005
                                            --- mike garcia <exavierstud@...> wrote:

                                            > Hej Randy,
                                            >
                                            > Who wrote the books you are talking about?

                                            Hi, Mike

                                            It's an anthology of sorts, which is why I thought
                                            there might be some here who were familiar with it.

                                            To get specific author names, you can go to Amazon.com
                                            and pull the title up.

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Nov 14, 2005
                                              Heil Beth,

                                              You are most welcome ;-)