Blum and I

  • Charles W. Leysath
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2001
      Dear Rune Friends,

      I realize that I am hardly the one to speak about the appropriateness of a system of runes, being an novice and relying heavily on the advice of my more learned friends, however, if it were not for Blum, I would not use runes at all.

      Some of you may feel that is argument enough to dissuade someone from using his cards/system.  I have rather accurate results with the cards.  I also know that my scholarship is no where near what it should be in this area.

      I am interested in hearing more about Blum's Christian roots, as it seems to be one of the things he is criticized for.  I am not a Christian, not that it is a bad thing, I'm just not.  I wonder about the whole Christian vs. Nature based religion, and true origins of runs debate and also about leaving room for growth.  Most people I know are either Christian or were raised such and think largely in those terms.

      Until my scholarship catches up, I will be using Blum's cards.  I am finally out of school and have the whole summer to read anything I like so that may change by Summer's end.

      Lots of Love and Summer Fun                    Maggie
    • Greg Smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2001
        I am a Christian who uses runes for both divination and magick. Many would say that I'm an oxymoron (is that an idiot who uses zit medicine? :-) ) but I don't see the contradiction. I think that Ralph Blum does a lot of good things, and it would certainly be wrong for him to deny his Christian heritiage when interpreting runes. The problem that I see with his work is that he doesn't tell his readers that he's using outside sources and influences like the Bible. He writes as if his way is THE way, and in reality his way is not favored by most runesters, being very non-traditional. I've even seen him assign meanings to the runes that have nothing at all to do with the traditional meanings (The Healing Runes).

        There's nothing wrong with being non-traditional, as well as you tell your readers that that's what you're doing.

      • Os
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2001
          --- In runes-divination@y..., "Charles W. Leysath" <mzkc@e...> wrote:
          > Dear Rune Friends,
          >
          > I realize that I am hardly the one to speak about the
          appropriateness of a system of runes, being an novice and relying
          heavily on the advice of my more learned friends, however, if it were
          not for Blum, I would not use runes at all.

          Actually Maggie, there are a great number of rune readers who would
          never have found the runes at all if they hadn't come across Blum's
          book(s). I wish more were willing to admit it and the debt which they
          owe him.

          > Some of you may feel that is argument enough to dissuade someone
          from using his cards/system. I have rather accurate results with the
          cards.

          There are many people I know who have experienced a high degree of
          accuracy with the runes using Blum's and various other very
          individualistic interpretations. In my experience, the runes are
          quite tolerant and speak to us through the means we are best capable
          of understanding their message. That is not to say that "anything
          goes" however and I have found an understanding and respect for their
          mythology does help one become more in tune with them. But if you are
          sincere in what you are trying to do with them, whatever others may
          say, in my experience, the runes will work for you.

          Os
          moderator, runes-divination@yahoogroups.com