Upright and Inverted runes

  • Greg Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2001
      I have done readings where an inverted meaning was not negative, and I have done readings where an upright rune was negative. As a rule, I interpret their orientation as being positive for upright and negative for inverted. But there are exceptions, just based on the way they "feel."

      -IMHO.

    • WyldeHunter
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2001
        Only some of the Runes can be inverted, some cannot e.g. the IS - Ice
        Rune, GYFU - Gift Rune and DAEG - Day Rune). Whether or not you
        choose to use inverted or reversed Runes is up to you but the
        decision must be made BEFORE the reading!!

        WyldeHunter
      • Os
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2001
          Firstly apologies to the group for my recent quietness. Life
          is totally hectic and there are currently more demands on my time
          than I can cope with. I hate being an absent landlord though to
          this group but since no one else has come forward to help
          moderate, I really don't have a choice. This group is very
          important to me though and I am delighted to see it continue
          to grow and I do read each and every post even if I don't post
          as many replies as I did.

          The question of reversed runes is an interesting one and one
          that each rune reader has to decide for themselves. As I think
          I have said here before, I do take some notice of the
          orientation of the rune, but it is far from the sole determinant.
          We like simply divisions these days, and to see things in
          black and white but reality is rarely like that. There is not
          any simple "upright" = good, and "reversed" = bad equation
          that can be applied. Boden wrote the other day about the
          calm movement that is Laguz (Lagu),which is very true,
          but I have also encountered situations where this rune
          upright suggested that "going with the flow" was more a
          case of hanging on tightly as one journied across
          metaphorical rapids than either peaceful waves breaking
          against the seashore, or a leisurely journey across a calm
          lake. What determined the meaning here was the other runes
          and there are several runes which don't have an inverted
          position but which upright would have had a transforming
          effect on the reading in a way that most people would
          feel was not positive. Nauthiz (Nyd) and Hagalaz (Haegl)
          are obvious ones. If Laguz (Lagu) had been surrounded
          by these two, it would have been too much to hope for
          a calm passage!

          Given though that as I have just indicated, not all runes
          can reverse you might wonder why bother with inverted runes
          at all. It has always seemed to me to be something of a
          contradiction to argue that Odin's inversion on Yggdrasil
          is a gesture of great symbolic importance, if you are then
          going to claim that the orientation of the runes is without
          any meaning whatsoever. If, is as generally thought, the
          glyphs represent things of significance in the lives of
          the ancient peoples, then these were objects which clearly
          had a correct way up. An icicle does not hang upwards. A
          tribal banner would presumably be held upright proudly.
          If these were to be reversed for example, surely a
          superstitious society could not but help and see this as
          imbued with meaning?

          That said, I don't believe in different meanings for
          upright and inverted runes. For me the orientation of the
          rune stave changes /emphasis/ and not /meaning/. I see
          it like underlining a piece of text on a page. The
          meaning of the words hasn't changed but your attention
          is drawn to part of the meaning in a different way.

          OS
          moderator, runes-divination@yahoogroups.com
        • Phoenix Echelon
          Message 4 of 4 , May 5, 2001
            --- Greg Smith <Shadowhawke_@...> wrote:
            > I have done readings where an inverted meaning was
            > not negative, and I have done readings where an
            > upright rune was negative. As a rule, I interpret
            > their orientation as being positive for upright and
            > negative for inverted. But there are exceptions,
            > just based on the way they "feel."
            >
            > -IMHO.

            I've learned that sometimes the reverse can just mean
            that there is something in your life that you need to
            learn depending on the position they hold. I could
            also mean that there is something you know, but are in
            denial about.

            Phoenix Echelon

            http://auctions.yahoo.com/