New rune user (sort of) and member

  • Jake
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 31, 2005
      As this is my first post let me use this space to write that I'm
      excited to be here and learn more about the Elder Futhark runes!

      My name is Jake and I was introduced to the runes about a year ago by
      a friend who uses Tarot. As of now I use the runes for historical
      study, divination, and to connect to my Norwegian heritage.

      For some reason the rune I am most fond of is algiz (eolh).

      The first book I came across (and read) on the runes
      was--gasp!--Blum's The Book of Runes. However, one shouldn't fear
      because I've also read Jennifer Smith's Raido, several sites on the
      web, and am hoping to purchase the recommended books on The Rune
      School's web site.

      Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm sure I'll post here
      often. I can't wait to talk with fellow runesters. :)
    • Olluyn Jo
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 1, 2005
        Welcome Jake!

        Jennifer's Raido is a great book to start with.
        All the best

        Jo

        ________________________________

        As this is my first post let me use this space to write that I'm
        excited to be here and learn more about the Elder Futhark runes!

        My name is Jake and I was introduced to the runes about a year ago by
        a friend who uses Tarot. As of now I use the runes for historical
        study, divination, and to connect to my Norwegian heritage.

        For some reason the rune I am most fond of is algiz (eolh).

        The first book I came across (and read) on the runes
        was--gasp!--Blum's The Book of Runes. However, one shouldn't fear
        because I've also read Jennifer Smith's Raido, several sites on the
        web, and am hoping to purchase the recommended books on The Rune
        School's web site.

        Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm sure I'll post here
        often. I can't wait to talk with fellow runesters. :)

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Children International
        Would you give Hope to a Child in need?
        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129232o0u/M=332618.5923862.6999529.2152211/D=groups/S=1705082726:HM/EXP=1107335541/A=2535374/R=0/SIG=142trf8s4/*http://children.780net.com/qry/CICHildselect.taf?_function=childSearch&ETTFMRS_BHST_ID=872&s=f&hostName=Children%20International>
        · Click Here to meet a Girl <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129232o0u/M=332618.5923862.6999529.2152211/D=groups/S=1705082726:HM/EXP=1107335541/A=2535374/R=1/SIG=142trf8s4/*http://children.780net.com/qry/CICHildselect.taf?_function=childSearch&ETTFMRS_BHST_ID=872&s=f&hostName=Children%20International>
        And Give Her Hope

        · Click Here to meet a Boy <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129232o0u/M=332618.5923862.6999529.2152211/D=groups/S=1705082726:HM/EXP=1107335541/A=2535374/R=2/SIG=1424c63em/*http://children.780net.com/qry/CICHildselect.taf?_function=childSearch&ETTFMRS_BHST_ID=871&s=m&hostName=Children%20International>
        And Change His Life
        Learn More <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129232o0u/M=332618.5923862.6999529.2152211/D=groups/S=1705082726:HM/EXP=1107335541/A=2535374/R=3/SIG=1424c63em/*http://children.780net.com/qry/CICHildselect.taf?_function=childSearch&ETTFMRS_BHST_ID=871&s=m&hostName=Children%20International>

      • S E Paolini
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 1, 2005
          Thanks for that. DOn't know anything about Runes, I'm
          basically I Ching, Tarot & Astrology, so I'm hear to
          learn something else. Thanks for the pointer of where
          to start.

          Cheers-
          --- Olluyn Jo <jo.olluyn@...> wrote:

          > Welcome Jake!
          >
          > Jennifer's Raido is a great book to start with.

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Richard B
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 1, 2005
            Merry Meet, Jake -

            I too started with the Bloom book, but I rarely refer to it anymore. It has some helpful stuff. I think it's too personal to him, though. I've been working with runes for almost 2 years now and I've found that the more I work with them the more I learn.

            Blessed Be.
            Richard

            Jake <helenhunt63@...> wrote:

            As this is my first post let me use this space to write that I'm
            excited to be here and learn more about the Elder Futhark runes!

            My name is Jake and I was introduced to the runes about a year ago by
            a friend who uses Tarot. As of now I use the runes for historical
            study, divination, and to connect to my Norwegian heritage.

            For some reason the rune I am most fond of is algiz (eolh).

            The first book I came across (and read) on the runes
            was--gasp!--Blum's The Book of Runes. However, one shouldn't fear
            because I've also read Jennifer Smith's Raido, several sites on the
            web, and am hoping to purchase the recommended books on The Rune
            School's web site.

            Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm sure I'll post here
            often. I can't wait to talk with fellow runesters. :)

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
            Children InternationalWould you give Hope to a Child in need? �Click Here to meet a Girl

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 1, 2005
              You may also want to check out Freya Aswynn's Northern Mysteries and Edred Thorsson's Futhark. These go deeper than Jennifer's book, but provide lots of insight and inspire the reader to seek his own path...

              Greetz

              Jo

              ________________________________

              --- Olluyn Jo <jo.olluyn@...> wrote:

              > Welcome Jake!
              >
              > Jennifer's Raido is a great book to start with.

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Children International
              Would you give Hope to a Child in need?
              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129mim2ir/M=332618.5923862.6999529.2152211/D=groups/S=1705082726:HM/EXP=1107362969/A=2535374/R=0/SIG=142trf8s4/*http://children.780net.com/qry/CICHildselect.taf?_function=childSearch&ETTFMRS_BHST_ID=872&s=f&hostName=Children%20International>
              · Click Here to meet a Girl <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129mim2ir/M=332618.5923862.6999529.2152211/D=groups/S=1705082726:HM/EXP=1107362969/A=2535374/R=1/SIG=142trf8s4/*http://children.780net.com/qry/CICHildselect.taf?_function=childSearch&ETTFMRS_BHST_ID=872&s=f&hostName=Children%20International>
              And Give Her Hope

              · Click Here to meet a Boy <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129mim2ir/M=332618.5923862.6999529.2152211/D=groups/S=1705082726:HM/EXP=1107362969/A=2535374/R=2/SIG=1424c63em/*http://children.780net.com/qry/CICHildselect.taf?_function=childSearch&ETTFMRS_BHST_ID=871&s=m&hostName=Children%20International>
              And Change His Life
              Learn More <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129mim2ir/M=332618.5923862.6999529.2152211/D=groups/S=1705082726:HM/EXP=1107362969/A=2535374/R=3/SIG=1424c63em/*http://children.780net.com/qry/CICHildselect.taf?_function=childSearch&ETTFMRS_BHST_ID=871&s=m&hostName=Children%20International>

            • Olluyn Jo
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 1, 2005
                That's the essence I think. No single book can ever hope tot each you all there is about the runes. Their meaning is both collective among all people, as well as highly individual. A good book will realize this and will provide footholds for you to start climbing. After that, it's up to you.

                ________________________________

                Jake <helenhunt63@...> wrote:

[...]

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • S E Paolini
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 2, 2005
                  Thanks for the tip. As I can check out any book in my
                  state, I'm sure I'll be able to get them, though it
                  may take a while. ;-)

                  --- Olluyn Jo <jo.olluyn@...> wrote:

                  > You may also want to check out Freya Aswynn's
                  > Northern Mysteries and Edred Thorsson's Futhark.

                  http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
                • mike garcia
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 2, 2005
                    Wassail!

                    Those books are alright for hungry beginners looking to search for some knowledge on what could be the Northern lore or The Runes...but I do not recommend them. Let me know if you are looking for Traditional kwonledge on the runes. It is more indept into the lore. Also it will require alot of studing and not the simple instant rune books either. As I heard once....advice is free.

                    Welga!

                    Seaker

                    --- Olluyn Jo <jo.olluyn@...> wrote:

                    > You may also want to check out Freya Aswynn's
                    > Northern Mysteries and Edred Thorsson's Futhark.

                    http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                    Children InternationalWould you give Hope to a Child in need? �Click Here to meet a Girl
                    And Give Her Hope�Click Here to meet a Boy
                    And Change His Life Learn More

                  • Jake Peterson
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 2, 2005
                      Thank you for all of the recommendations. I am
                      looking for traditional knowledge on the runes....
                      trying to go past the information in the books, which,
                      in other people's opinions, simply requires use and
                      practice. Sometimes a new runester just doesn't know
                      where to begin (or continue), especially on a subject
                      as highly inscrutable as the runes. Thanks again!

                      Jake

                      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                    • Keira Firestorm
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 4, 2005
                        Seaker,

                        I'd like a listing of those texts, if you please. While I don't mind doing my initial research on the lighter level, I'm looking for depth and as much historical context as I can get.

                        Keira

                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 4, 2005
                          Wassail Keira!!

                          I have been so lucky to presented with these pieces of knowledge. They are far from the other book out there in the common market.

                          Rig Svenson "Pierced by the Light" is a wonderful book to get started with. He gives a wonderful lore on the Northern Myths. Aslo a amazing chapter on the phonetic values of the runes. If you think things are going well he givens us an ORAL TRADITION on how the was could of been used for divination. IMO this book is a must. Get this one first, you will enjoy this read. The web sight to abtain the book.

                          http://www.runevitki.com//

                          Ralph W. V. Elliott "Runes: An Introduction" Is a wonderful book to read. He gives a wonderful insight on the 3 more common futharks. Also he gives some insight on the linguistic value and different time periods of the runes. Very educational. I would suggest that you rush to get this one. This book is rare and not many left on the market. Barnes and Noble Bookquest has a few copies left.

                          I believe this is good to get started with. I hope you like the reads. It is more of the traditional and scholar point to the runes.

                          Welga!!

                          Mike

                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 4, 2005
                            mike garcia <exavierstud@...> wrote:
                            Wassail Keira!!

                            I have been so lucky to presented with these pieces of knowledge. They are far from the other book out there in the common market.

                            Rig Svenson "Pierced by the Light" is a wonderful book to get started with. He gives a wonderful lore on the Northern Myths. Aslo a amazing chapter on the phonetic values of the runes. If you think things are going well he givens us an ORAL TRADITION on how the runes could of been used for divination. IMO this book is a must. Get this one first, you will enjoy this read. The web sight to abtain the book.

                            http://www.runevitki.com//

                            Ralph W. V. Elliott "Runes: An Introduction" Is a wonderful book to read. He gives a wonderful insight on the 3 different futharks. Also he gives some insight on the linguistic value and different time periods of the runes. Very educational. I would suggest that you rush to get this one. This book is rare and not many left on the market. Barnes and Noble Bookquest has a few copies left.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 4, 2005
                              There are extensive bibliographies on runelore, mythology, history/culture,
                              and sagas on my website. Newbies will find good books for beginners on the
                              Recommended Reading page.
                              Sunny
                              Runes, Alphabet of Mystery
                              http://sunnyway.com/runes