Re: [runes-divination] questions and thoughts

  • sage5236
    Message 1 of 52 , Nov 29, 2004
      HI Jeannie,
      What you are saying about the Norse being "stuck" in the past can be said of many religions for example: the christians pray to a god from 2000plus years ago, the Jewish religion prays to a god farther back then that.
      I feel that religion is the reminder of the path, but each person's spiritual path is their own, individual, and we must walk it alone with the Divine. The stories of the Norse I don't take literally just as many christians don't believe the whole world came from two people. I read these stories and relate them to my own spiritual path. For instance: Many of the stories of Thorr are about him fighting giants and he wins because of the courage within himself to face those giants. Those giants to me are my fears, problems with trust, those things that keep me from growing. Thorr has shown me the strength that I have deep within myself to face those fears whether they be in the mundane world or spirit world. I invoke his energies, his facet of the Divine, and reach that strength, that resolve. Freyja's energies empower me as a witch, she just helps me feel good about being a witch, a teacher.
      To me, learning this history is important to know something of the culture and the pantheon that I feel drawn to. Their stories teach me on different levels. I feel they are more like allegories not to be taken literal but as riddles, teaching the wisdom and lessons of the spiritual path. To me, none of the pantheons, religions are dead because if you really read about them they teach the same type of wisdom. Kin of gods, to me means that we are all one in the One Divine. These gods/goddesses are facets of the whole,including us as we are one in the Divine. Ragnarock is the war within myself, the light and the shadows. Yes, the gods die because someday we will know the One as we move from this 3-D world and the gods/goddesses will meld into that One. Our war will be over as we meld the light and the dark.
      Personally, I don't think any of us are truly right or wrong and find the fighting between pagans as well as other religions to be quite petty, a diversion and waste of energy that could be used in a much more productive way. No religion has the "end all" on the Divine. It is a way of trying to understand that which can not be fully understood but is that which we all strive to understand deep in our spirits. It can be quite frustrating and yet exciting as our spirits leap in joy when we learn a wisdom and get one step closer in knowing the One. We ask a question, search, get the answer which opens up to more questions.
      In a 3-D world, we can not understand the Divine that dwells in an infinite dimensional world. Hence, the creation of gods/goddesses, stories that try to deal with the human condition and hidden within those stories is the wisdom we search for.
      For me, I feel that we are all blind people touching the elephant. No one is right and no one is wrong. I want to be the one that walks around to each person and asks them what they think. Perhaps someday, I might glimpse the whole. For me, that is what the witch does. Just some of my thoughts. BB Sage
      Message 52 of 52 , Jan 4, 2005
        I'm pretty convinced we could all do a solid reading (or casting) using whatever tools we find lying abou the place, regardless of colour, material or origin.

        I have to agree with you there. I doubt our ancestors did much more than use what was to hand.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        Do You Yahoo!?