Newbie

  • Lady Mu'rghail
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 3, 2004
      Greetings,

      I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I am a Celtic
      Reconstructionist, and have used the Ogham. I wish to learn more about the
      runes, they were given to me as a birthday gift and they "feel" more
      comfortable to me for some reason. I hope to learn more about them.

      Slainte' Murghail

      The poison is the vessel with the pestle and the chalice from the palace has
      the brew that is true. ~ Danny Kaye (movie)

      MSN 9 Dial-up Internet Access fights spam and pop-ups � now 3 months FREE!
    • Silv Refhar
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 4, 2004
        Failte, Murghail!

        It's always nice to meet a Celtic Reconstructionist, it gives me some hope
        for reconstructionist religions in general - as an Asatruar I don't like
        feeling we're the only ones :). Welcome to the group.

        In frith,
        Silv xxx
      • Lady Mu'rghail
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 4, 2004
          Failte Silv,

          Thank you!

          Murghail

          The poison is the vessel with the pestle and the chalice from the palace has
          the brew that is true. ~ Danny Kaye (movie)

          >From: "Silv Refhar" <silv@...>
          >To: <runes-divination@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: [runes-divination] RE: Newbie
          >Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 18:34:59 +0100
          >

          >Failte, Murghail!
          >
          >It's always nice to meet a Celtic Reconstructionist, it gives me some hope
          >for reconstructionist religions in general - as an Asatruar I don't like
          >feeling we're the only ones :). Welcome to the group.
          >
          >In frith,
          >Silv xxx

          Looking to buy a house? Get informed with the Home Buying Guide from MSN
          House & Home. http://coldwellbanker.msn.com/
        • tchipakkan
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 8, 2004
            Murghail wrote:
            I wish to learn more about the runes, they were given to me as a
            birthday gift and they "feel" more comfortable to me for some reason.
            I hope to learn more about them.
            What form of runes were you given: tiles, stones, wooden disks, sticks?
            I much prefer the sticks or twigs- mostly because they can fall into
            runes themselves- how about others on the list?
            Tchipakkan
            > The poison is the vessel with the pestle and the chalice from the
            > palace has
            > the brew that is true. ~ Danny Kaye (movie)
            I thought "the chalice from the palace has the pellet with the poison,
            the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true."
          • Lady Mu'rghail
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 8, 2004
              They are like stone tiles, grayish white. Very smooth feel to them.

              The vessel with the pestle was dropped so the chalice from the palace had
              the brew that was true.~ heheheeh

              >From: tchipakkan <tchipakkan@...>
              >To: runes-divination@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [runes-divination] Newbie
              >Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 16:45:40 -0400
              >
              >Murghail wrote:
              >I wish to learn more about the runes, they were given to me as a
              >birthday gift and they "feel" more comfortable to me for some reason.
              >I hope to learn more about them.
              > What form of runes were you given: tiles, stones, wooden disks, sticks?
              >I much prefer the sticks or twigs- mostly because they can fall into
              >runes themselves- how about others on the list?
              >Tchipakkan
              > > The poison is the vessel with the pestle and the chalice from the
              > > palace has
              > > the brew that is true. ~ Danny Kaye (movie)
              > I thought "the chalice from the palace has the pellet with the poison,
              >the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true."

              a trip to NY
            • Joe B
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 30, 2004
                Hello all,
                I'm obviously new and want to say hi. While I've done some reading
                on Runes and am looking for the books on the reading list, I'm
                planning on building my own set next month while on break from
                school. I've read different ways and ceremonies for the process. I'm
                considering making a clay and a wood set. Any help this would be
                great.
                Joe B
              • Keri A.
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 1, 2004
                  Clay is great because of how much you get to handle it as you're forming
                  your set. You can knead your energy right into it, so that you feel a bond
                  with your runes right away. My only advice would be that if you do make a
                  clay set, use it only in readings for yourself. My own clay rune tiles are
                  so attuned to my own personal energy that it makes reading for others
                  difficult, so I prefer to use my wooden sets then. Just my $0.02.

                  I wish you well. Making your own runes is an intense but very enjoyable and
                  rewarding process. Will you keep us updated?

                  BB,
                  Keri

                  >From: "Joe B" <jobew1@...>
                  >

                  >Hello all,
                  > I'm obviously new and want to say hi. While I've done some reading
                  >on Runes and am looking for the books on the reading list, I'm
                  >planning on building my own set next month while on break from
                  >school. I've read different ways and ceremonies for the process. I'm
                  >considering making a clay and a wood set. Any help this would be
                  >great.
                  >Joe B
                  >

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  "The Great Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is 42."
                  - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
                • shootist17
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 1, 2004
                    I vote for wood (tree branches) as the preferred medioum. Not only
                    is it a no-cost medium, It is the tradition medium and, as I
                    mentioned in previous posts, it is easy to whiitle them out with a
                    pocket knife and a pair of pruning shears. Of course, if you are not
                    comfortable in nature and woodlands, you might prefer the hobby shop
                    clay approach.

                    Robin Runesinger

                  • jhardyzgrrl@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 1, 2004
                      Heilsa!

                      My name is Kat, and I am a 20 year old college student who lives in
                      Birmingham, Alabama. I've just embarked on my spiritual journey with Asatru, so I've
                      been looking for groups that will be most conducive to my learning- and being
                      brought up Southern Baptist, I have a lot to learn!

                      I've known I was pagan for roughly 7 years or so, but have just recently
                      stumbled across Asatru, and felt for the first time like I'd 'come home' so to
                      speak. The runes are something that have always fascinated me to no end, and I'm
                      very excited about learning to work with them, and very excited to be here.

                      Frith,
                      Kat

                    • Joe B
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 3, 2004
                        I'm going to go with the clay approach for right now, since I have
                        some available from a prior art project. I'm also going to make a
                        wood set, I'm going to find an appropriate tree/wood first.
                        Joe B

                        --- In runes-divination@yahoogroups.com, "Keri A."
                        <deepearthtones@h...> wrote:
                        > Clay is great because of how much you get to handle it as you're
                        forming
                        > your set. You can knead your energy right into it, so that you
                        feel a bond
                        > with your runes right away. My only advice would be that if you do
                        make a
                        > clay set, use it only in readings for yourself. My own clay rune
                        tiles are
                        > so attuned to my own personal energy that it makes reading for
                        others
                        > difficult, so I prefer to use my wooden sets then. Just my $0.02.
                        >
                        > I wish you well. Making your own runes is an intense but very
                        enjoyable and
                        > rewarding process. Will you keep us updated?
                        >
                        > BB,
                        > Keri

                      • Keri A.
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 3, 2004
                          First of all, just because someone chooses to make runes out of something
                          other than wood doesn't mean they're not comfortable in nature and
                          woodlands. Secondly, I'm not crazy about the phrase "hobby shop clay
                          approach". It's true that some people might make their runes out of clay or
                          other pliable media to make it easier on themselves, but for others, myself
                          included, the process of working the clay and lovingly sculpting, carving
                          and painting the tiles requires the same investment of time and care that
                          making any other rune set does. I don't know if you meant to sound
                          condescending, but that's how your message read to me. If I'm wrong, by all
                          means let me know. It's difficult to ascertain someone's tone through
                          e-mail.

                          Keri