Re: Origin of the Runes (( Some say, Ohdin created them ))

  • Temathi
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 29, 2003
      I read enough to know... that some authors go to great lengths to talk about
      Ohdin, and how he discovered how to write the "Futhark." For nine days he
      hung upside down, on an Ash Tree... plucked an eyeball out, and gouged his
      liver with a spear.

      Okay, this ain't my idea of how a Diety would develop an alphabet.

      Here's my take on what I think actually happend.

      Ohdin, and the Celtic Diety Oghma are quite simular, in how both of them
      rule "communication" and "Thought." - - - The De Dannans were driven out of
      Ireland and settled on Denmark, during the Mag Tured war.

      Oghma is a travelling scribe during the era about 700 b.c. and strangely
      enough had three sons, which about describes the children Ohdin had. And I
      think what happend is while travelling in one of them voyages.... He got
      caught by some "warring" culture... and suffered some crewl punishents.

      I think what happend... was after nine days of being hog tied upside down
      on an ash tree... with a gouged out eye.... what are you going to do, but ask for
      the Universe to get yourself out of this mess !

      The scribe probably suffered from malnutrition and had hallucinated due
      to probably having frostbite, and lord knows if he's diabetic on top of it.

      So in a vision - - - Here's all these sticks form the ash tree forming letters,
      known as the futhark. Maybe there was voices in his head, saying if he
      gathered what was told to him... by looking at the twig letters, he just might be
      able to get himself right side up... and rescue himself from this predicament.

      It ain't the Blair Witch Project.

      But you can sorta guess, he developed a mock alphabet and looked nice
      on a quill and a piece of parchment paper.

      The end.
    • rhoomegaphi
      Message 2 of 11 , May 18 12:23 PM
        I like your thoughts. Hahaha. It always pays to question things.

        --- In runes-divination@yahoogroups.com, "Temathi"

      • Terry Canote
        Message 3 of 11 , May 18 4:54 PM
          Wassail!

          <geargail_fear@y...> wrote:
          > I read enough to know... that some authors go to great lengths
          to talk about
          > Ohdin, and how he discovered how to write the "Futhark." For nine
          days he
          > hung upside down, on an Ash Tree... plucked an eyeball out, and
          gouged his
          > liver with a spear.
          >
          > Okay, this ain't my idea of how a Diety would develop an
          alphabet.

          > Here's my take on what I think actually happend.
          >
          > Ohdin, and the Celtic Diety Oghma are quite simular, in how
          both of them
          > rule "communication" and "Thought." - - - The De Dannans were
          driven out of
          > Ireland and settled on Denmark, during the Mag Tured war.
          >
          > Oghma is a travelling scribe during the era about 700 b.c.
          and strangely
          > enough had three sons, which about describes the children Ohdin
          had. And I
          > think what happend is while travelling in one of them voyages....
          He got
          > caught by some "warring" culture... and suffered some crewl
          punishents.

          > I think what happend... was after nine days of being hog
          tied upside down
          > on an ash tree... with a gouged out eye.... what are you going to
          do, but ask for
          > the Universe to get yourself out of this mess !
          >
          > The scribe probably suffered from malnutrition and had
          hallucinated due
          > to probably having frostbite, and lord knows if he's diabetic on
          top of it.

          > So in a vision - - - Here's all these sticks form the ash
          tree forming letters,
          > known as the futhark. Maybe there was voices in his head, saying
          if he
          > gathered what was told to him... by looking at the twig letters,
          he just might be
          > able to get himself right side up... and rescue himself from this
          predicament.

          > It ain't the Blair Witch Project.
          >
          > But you can sorta guess, he developed a mock alphabet and
          looked nice
          > on a quill and a piece of parchment paper.
          >
          > The end.

          Well, first, I don't think that Woden developed the futhark while
          hanging on the World Tree. The account in the Havamal says that
          Woden "peered down" and "took up the runes." Now I have always
          assumed that by the runes it is meant THE runes...the mysteries...as
          in "mysteries of the universe" and that by "I took up the runes" it
          is meant that Woden grasped them, understood them, discovered them. I
          rather suspect that he developed the staves representing those
          mysteries when he was no longer hanging on the Tree.

          Second, there is no source that states that Woden hanged upside down
          on the Tree and, indeed, there is circumstantial evidence suggesting
          that he did not. Woden hanging on the Tree seems to have taken the
          form of a traditional sacrifice to Woden. Just such a sacrifice is
          described in both Gautreks Saga and Saxo's Gesta Danorum. King Vikar,
          Starkadr, and their crew found themselves essentially stranded due to
          a lack of wind. Vikar decided that they should draw lots to see whom
          they should sacrifice to Odhinn in exchange for a fair wind. The lots
          determined that it was Vikar to die. Not particularly wishing to die
          yet, Vikar thought that staging a mock sacrifice might satisfy
          Odhinn. Vikar stood on a tree stump and they took calf's intestines
          fastened to a tree branch and placed it around his neck. Starkad then
          took a stick and poked the king, saying "Now I give you to Odhinn."
          The stick then became a spear, the intestines became strong rope, and
          the stump fell from beneath the king's feet. The king was then
          stabbed, hanged, and quite dead. This sacrifice reflects that of
          Woden upon the Tree, stabbed by a spear and hanging. Given that we
          are told that Vikar was hanged by the neck, I think it is safe to
          assume that Woden hanged by the neck as well.

          Welga!
          Eric Wodening
        • Rig Svenson