Re: [runes-divination] Re: Making your own Runes

  • bob oswald
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2003

      Long term members of this group will know my opinion on the matter of making your own runes. It is a controversial view that provoked heated discussion the last time the subject came up a year or so ago.

      I hold that runes should be made only from organic material such as wood, bone or antler. I do not believe it is possible to empower inorganic materials such as ceramic, metal, glass or stone.

      I use wood exclusively and I NEVER cut from living trees, I use windfall and forested branches. I personally have had little success trying to empower rune sets made from other materials. I repeat, this is my personnal opinion only - there are many who will disagree with this viewpoint. However, making rune sets and other rune products is my main business, so I speak from over 40 years experience of runemaking and the knowledge passed down to me by many generations of my family reaching back to Saxon times in Northern England. You can see many examples of my wooden rune sets on my main website at http://www.runemaker.com/wareshome.htm [purely for information purposes, Os. I don't expect anyone in this group to buy any of my stuff!]

      Whatever material or marking method you use, the rune set must be empowered before it will serve as an oracle. The unempowered rune set is virtually useless - your rune spreads and casts will be no better than random, chance selections and worthless for divining purposes. The interface between you, the runes, and the otherworld of spirituality is crucial to the workings of the runic oracle, and without empowerment during the making process, there is no interface.

      Turning to the discussion on dimensions, I don't remember who made the point about handwriting, but they are quite correct. The ancient rune carvers were very individual about their representation of the rune forms and so we should also be. However, if you wish to adhere strictly to the traditional forms, you should avoid horizontal lines and curves. If you need a little initial guidance, you could do worse than read my illustrated article on this very subject in a back issue of Runezine Newsletter from August 2002. You can find it on this page: http://www.runezine.com/arc_2002_08.shtml.

      Bob Oswald
      The Runemaker

      Want to chat instantly with your online friends? Get the FREE Yahoo! Messenger
    • Jessica Flynn
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2003
        Bob Oswald,

            My question to your "personal opinion" is this ...  Most stones are natural, you know as in coming from nature. So, if you get the real deal, why should they be any less powerful?  I am in agreement with the glass and such... but I also believe that if you pour your heart and soul into making your own runes,  they will be as true to you as anything else.

        Jessica Flynn

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • Torran
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2003
          Message
           In the Lore, and other sources (Tacitus, etc) the runes were made out of wood, bone or antler.

          The only problem *I* see with stones being used is only if the stones aren't the exact same shape and size (this goes for wood, bone, or antler too, btw). The reason being is that you may subconsciously come to know certain runes lots by the shape of them and therefore not get a good reading. I have seen some lovely rune sets made of stones that were carved so they were the same shape and size. I have no doubt that for the right person, these would give fantastic readings, or at least non worse than any other set of runes.  I am a rock hound and I love stones of all sorts. However,  with the stone runes sets that are quite lovely but all different shapes and sizes, I have to wonder about the accuracy.
           Anyone out there have stones sets that aren't the same shape and size? How are your readings?

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2, 2003
            Okay, I have a question for Os or any other the other
            learned members of this group. I made a runeset for
            myself out of leather; two rectangles about 1"x 1 1/4"
            stitched together so that the 'grain' sides are out;
            the front side with the rune symbol and reverse with
            my own runic symbol RK. Any thoughts from the group?
            thanks....Rodney

            <http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://rd.yahoo.com/evt=1207/*http://promo.yahoo.c

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705

            082726:HM/A=1564416/R=0/SIG=11ti81skc/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mq

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egrou
            > pmail/S=:HM/A=1564416/rand=249092770>

            > Terms of Service
            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            =====
            Rodney Kindlund, RodKraft Studio (Leather-Art)
            rodney@...
            www.rodkraftstudio.com
            '84 VW Wolfsburg Weekender "Sunshine SuperVan
            '84 VW Wolfsburg Weekender "PartsBus"
            '82 VW Westfalia Camper "No Name Yet"
            '72 VW Superbeetle (Nancy's) "No Name Yet"