General Abizaid not playing ball with critics, clobbers Hillary

  • wildwestjoker
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16, 2006
      Heh. I think people, particularly pontificating senators who grandstand
      in hearings, may eventually find that some generals have a tendency to
      say what they don't want to hear. Here everyone has assumed General
      Abizaid was told to shut up by Rumsfeld the General Hater, but here the
      Centcomm Commander hits the old girl right between the eyes with the
      equivalent of "Why don't you shut up?" in his testimony today:

      Clinton: "Hope is not a method. We've had testimony now for four
      years about what 'must be done' -- and it doesn't get done."

      Centcomm Commander: "I would also say that despair is not a method."

      Perhaps this stupid canard that Rumsfeld defied his generals and
      refused (as opposed to being unable) to put more troops in the field
      will finally get clarified. There may have been a window shortly after
      the takedown when more forces could have been introduced, but to what
      end? Nobody will ever know just exactly how much the Abu Ghraib
      scandal, which was completely over and participants charged before it
      was ever reported, damaged our ability to be more aggressive because of
      the political nightmare that ensued. I think time will reveal that we
      have been doing just about as much as we dare while waiting for
      political control to solidify in Iraq. It hasn't been the lack of
      numbers we've suffered from, but the lack of determined aggression. It
      hasn't been politically tenable for us to be more aggressive with the
      timing of Abu Ghraib.