Re: Several questions on bidding and discard

  • nev_the_deranged
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
      --- In rumble-list@yahoogroups.com, "johncraven31" <johncraven31@...>
      wrote:

      > 1. "(Further to this, Heroes are permitted to discard any Powers they
      > have won but do not wish to use; this is most relevant for
      > 'enviromental' powers which affect all players, which can be worth
      > bidding on just to ensure they don't get used.)"
      >
      > When are you permitted to discard? Only after bidding, prior to the
      > start of the game? Or during any round? At the allocation phase? Any
      > phase?

      *** I'm fairly certain the rule as intended is that players may
      discard after bidding but before the first round of the game. I don't
      think I have ever used this rule, or even remembered it, during an
      actual game, though. I think any other variant or interpretation
      usually ends up in the text of the Power itself. Powers are, after
      all, just rules made up immediately before playing.

      > 2. Bidding: Can players bid a total cumulative amount greater than
      > the energy they have? This would be made possible if there's an
      > "order of resolution" of the powers. That is, if a player wins a bid
      > on a power higher on the priority list and ends with insufficient
      > energy left to supply a lower priority power, his bid is retracted.

      *** I don't think it is legal to bid more than 99 total points for
      Powers. I've certainly never seen anyone do it.

      > However, I imagine such mechanism would break the use of curse
      > (everybody would bid 99).

      *** I'm not familiar with "curse". The only Curse I see in the archive
      is my Curse of Meddigo, and I don't think you're referring to that.

      > 3. Team Rumble: has anybody tried playing a successful team variant
      > of the game? I imagine that teams of 2 or 3 would work well. Powers
      > would have to be more diversified and include powers that uses
      > teamplay, such as healing spells or powers requiring multiple
      players to participate.

      *** I have been doing a LOT of thinking about Rumble League play
      lately. It's an idea I keep coming back to. I'd be interested in
      exploring the possibilities with other interested parties.

      *** One thing I've been considering is that after a battle, Heroes
      created for that battle don't just vanish, they remain on the player's
      roster, available for future battles. One idea is to take the game
      sort of "out" a step, so that instead of players nominating and
      bidding on individual Powers to assemble a single Hero each, players
      would nominate and bid on complete Heroes to assemble a Team. There
      are a few ways this could be done, and some nuances with regards to
      Hero/Creator ownership and such, but those could be worked out with
      some discussion, I think.

      *** There might need to be a separate database of Powers for League
      play, since there would be several new mechanical options available in
      that design that would not make much sense in the basic game.
      Team-based options, as well as continuity-based options, for instance.
      An "experience" system might be a welcome addition to the base ruleset
      for League play as well, but probably isn't necessary.

      *** I think it would also add to the fun to be able to amp up the
      narrative qualities of the game- if Heroes play recurring roles, then
      there is a lot of potential for character interaction over several
      "issues" or whatever. It's possible there could be some kind of
      "interlude" scenes between battles, but whether these would have
      mechanical effect would be a matter for discussion. Certainly the
      "K.I.S.S." principle would need to be in full effect, it'd be far to
      easy (for me anyway) to get out of hand with ideas that add complexity
      that does not contribute as much as it bogs things down.

      N.
    • Idly H. Bird
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 6, 2007

        > > However, I imagine such mechanism would break the use of curse
        > > (everybody would bid 99).
        >
        > *** I'm not familiar with "curse". The only Curse I see in the archive
        > is my Curse of Meddigo, and I don't think you're referring to that.

        By "Curse" he means Powers that go to the lowest bidder, what you call
        "flaws".

        > > 3. Team Rumble: has anybody tried playing a successful team variant
        > > of the game? I imagine that teams of 2 or 3 would work well. Powers
        > > would have to be more diversified and include powers that uses
        > > teamplay, such as healing spells or powers requiring multiple
        > players to participate.
        >
        > *** I have been doing a LOT of thinking about Rumble League play
        > lately. It's an idea I keep coming back to. I'd be interested in
        > exploring the possibilities with other interested parties.

        Sounds cool. I'd be interested.
      • nev_the_deranged
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2007
          > > > 3. Team Rumble: has anybody tried playing a successful team variant
          > > > of the game? I imagine that teams of 2 or 3 would work well. Powers
          > > > would have to be more diversified and include powers that uses
          > > > teamplay, such as healing spells or powers requiring multiple
          > > players to participate.
          > >
          > > *** I have been doing a LOT of thinking about Rumble League play
          > > lately. It's an idea I keep coming back to. I'd be interested in
          > > exploring the possibilities with other interested parties.
          >
          > Sounds cool. I'd be interested.

          *** Well, I'm open to suggestions. I'm going to start with this
          battle, by keeping track of the Heroes afterward... and we'll see what
          happens from there.