Hello everyone - Newbie here!

  • jenlrw
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 7, 2003
      Hello everyone,
      Just joined this group and am looking forward to learning alot!
      Wanted to ask a quick question though - my 99 year old grandma passed
      away back at the end of the year and we're just now starting to clear
      out her house. There is a 4'x 2' hooked rug that she had started (and
      it's beautiful!!!) and since I'm the only one in the family that does
      "crafts", I'm looking into trying to complete it. Now my question
      is, could anybody tell me what all I should be looking for in the way
      of tools/fabric/yarn that she might have had to complete this project?
      It looks like it's about 1/2 way completed and I also think she had a
      stand to stretch it on - I'm at a complete loss as to tools and
      techniques! Help please!
      Thanks so much in advance,
      Jenny
    • Linda Stewart
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 7, 2003
        Jenny,
        The first thing you need to do is see how the rug is made. Is it hooked with wool yarn? Or are the loops thin strips of wool fabric? On the sections that are not completed, is the design printed on the same side as the loops, or is in on the back? A punch hooked rug is worked form the back, with the design being printed on what will be the back of the rug, and the loops pushed thru the back to form the rug on the other side. If this is the case, look for a punch needle or shuttle hook, and yarn. If the design is printed on the side with the loops, and the loops are cut strips of wool fabric, look for a crochet style hook with a wood handle, wool fabric and a wool cutter. The wool cutter is a tool that has a handle that you turn on the side, and it will either sit on the table top , or have a clamp to clamp on to the edge of the table. Wool fabric is feed thru the machines cutting wheel and roller to be cut into strips to be hooked. I hope this will help you determine what to look for in the attic! Good luck and don't hesitate to ask more questions. You may also want to check out some of these other web sites for more information on rug hooking.

        This is the web site from rug hooking magazine:

        Here is a link to show you what the cutters look like:

        Hope this helps!

        Linda in Richmond