Locker hooking

  • gailfr@mb.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2001
      Does anyone know a Canadian outlet for locker hooking supplies?

      Thanks.
    • Frank Wissinger
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 5, 2001
        Hi There
        I am a Canadian hooker and have been hooking for about 3 1/2 years. I have
        been watching with interest to see the replys for your inquiry about Canadian
        outlet for locker hooking supplies. I'm not really sure what it is that you
        are looking for. Maybe you could give some more info as to what it is that
        you are looking for.
        I do traditional hooking using burlap and cut wool strips. Is it traditional
        rug hooking that you are doing? I do enjoy the craft with my whole heart and
        do recongnize that Canadian supplies are harder to come by. But we do have
        many outlets that are available depending on what you need.
        I am from Edmonton and we do have to order all our supplies in. Where is it
        that you live? What are you currently working on?
        Looking forward to your reply.
        Val

        gailfr@... wrote:

        > Does anyone know a Canadian outlet for locker hooking supplies?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >

        > Community email addresses:
        > Post message: rughookingfriends@onelist.com
        > Subscribe: rughookingfriends-subscribe@onelist.com
        >
        > Shortcut URL to this page:
        > http://www.onelist.com/community/rughookingfriends

      • Gail Friesen
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 5, 2001
          Hi, Val,

          First, thanks again for all the help I've gotten from this list.

          In all honesty, I've never done locker hooking but it was recommended to be my a couple of people who really enjoy it.  There are a few sites on the web (search for "locker+hooking").  One is The Woolery.

          What little I've been able to find suggests that locker hooking is a great way to use up scraps and bits of roving.  It is done on a type of canvas using a device which looks like a crochet hook but which has a hole in the end.  The strips or roving are pulled through the canvas using the crochet hook end.  Meanwhile, there is an anchoring thread which is threaded through the hole and is pulled through a bit like a needle to lock the loops in place - hence the name.

          I have also done the burlap and wool strips thing but I always find my loops pull out.  I have pretty much given up on it, nice as I think it looks.  For me it is like crochet, something I will never be able to do :).  That's why the locking part really appeals to me.

          Interestingly, Val, to whose message I am responding, lives in Edmonton.  It is my understanding that there is a supplier there, but the person who was to give me the name seems to have moved and my search of the on-line Edmonton Yellow Pages has not been successful.

          That is all I know about locker hooking.  I have ordered a kit to try it out.  I am keen to reduce my rather excessive amount of yarn and rovings, and I am hoping that this will help.

          Thanks for any info.

          Gail

          gailfr@... wrote:

          > Does anyone know a Canadian outlet for locker hooking supplies?
          >
          > Thanks.

          Gail Friesen