query on khamseh/qashqai rug

  • lrferst@omantel.net.om
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2001
      Dear Members:

      I have a rug bought in the US in 1987 from an Iranian exiled
      tribal leader which has been identified by Sotheby's from photographs
      as a Khamseh millefleurs c.1930. A very similar rug appears in the
      Vase design section of the P.J.Ford book on page 122, figure 277. This
      design is also referred to as a Mehrabi, or prayer niche type rug.
      Although it is a really magnificent piece and has given me many years
      of pleasure, a local dealer has cast doubt on it being a Persian rug
      on the grounds that it is it woven on cotton warps, and a true
      Qashqa'i could only be on wool. I should be interested to hear any
      comments on this.

      Laurence (Larry) Ferst in Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
    • Laurence Ferst
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2001

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2001
          > I have a rug bought in the US in 1987 from an Iranian exiled
          > tribal leader which has been identified by Sotheby's from photographs
          > as a Khamseh millefleurs c.1930. A very similar rug appears in the
          > Vase design section of the P.J.Ford book on page 122, figure 277. This
          > design is also referred to as a Mehrabi, or prayer niche type rug.
          > Although it is a really magnificent piece and has given me many years
          > of pleasure, a local dealer has cast doubt on it being a Persian rug
          > on the grounds that it is it woven on cotton warps, and a true
          > Qashqa'i could only be on wool. I should be interested to hear any
          > comments on this.
          >
          > Laurence (Larry) Ferst in Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

        • jboc
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3, 2001
            Hello,
            PRJ Ford's plate 277 is an old design. The Qashqai probably had that
            pattern introduced from European designers who copied it from Mughal
            designers. It is an old pattern and they get traded around over the
            years. I doubt that the Qashqai made any of them any earlier than 1880
            at the earliest. Eiland & Eiland note that cotton warps were used at the
            Qashqai workshops at Firuzabad. If your rug is a Firuzabad Qashqai then
            you have a rug to be very proud of. If your dealer thinks it is not
            Persian what does he think it is?

            Provenance could make the rug potentially more valuable. For instance
            Qashqai leader Ababollah Khan was in exile in 1987. If you have have
            Ababollah Khan's millefleur prayer rug then it is potentially worth more
            than a regular one. Ababollah, son of tribal leader Naser Khan, was a
            Qashqai leader who revolted against the Ayatollah only to get sold out
            by the CIA and the Israelis. (I do not in anyway suggest that Ababollah
            personally dealt with the CIA or the Israelis but his Uncle Khosrau was
            executed for alleged dealings with the company.) But that is another
            story.

            I won't swear that your rug is Qashqai but it is worth having an expert
            look at it in person.
            Best wishes,
            Barry O'Connell

            lrferst@... wrote:

            > Dear Members:
            >
            > I have a rug bought in the US in 1987 from an Iranian exiled
            > tribal leader which has been identified by Sotheby's from photographs
            > as a Khamseh millefleurs c.1930. A very similar rug appears in the
            > Vase design section of the P.J.Ford book on page 122, figure 277. This
            >
            > design is also referred to as a Mehrabi, or prayer niche type rug.
            > Although it is a really magnificent piece and has given me many years
            > of pleasure, a local dealer has cast doubt on it being a Persian rug
            > on the grounds that it is it woven on cotton warps, and a true
            > Qashqa'i could only be on wool. I should be interested to hear any
            > comments on this.
            >
            > Laurence (Larry) Ferst in Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

          • Barbara and Sam Gorden

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 3, 2001
                your dealer is full of bunk - cotton is a persian
                trademark.
                --- lrferst@... wrote:
                > Dear Members:
                >
                > I have a rug bought in the US in 1987 from an
                > Iranian exiled
                > tribal leader which has been identified by Sotheby's
                > from photographs
                > as a Khamseh millefleurs c.1930. A very similar rug
                > appears in the
                > Vase design section of the P.J.Ford book on page
                > 122, figure 277. This
                > design is also referred to as a Mehrabi, or prayer
                > niche type rug.
                > Although it is a really magnificent piece and has
                > given me many years
                > of pleasure, a local dealer has cast doubt on it
                > being a Persian rug
                > on the grounds that it is it woven on cotton warps,
                > and a true
                > Qashqa'i could only be on wool. I should be
                > interested to hear any
                > comments on this.
                >
                > Laurence (Larry) Ferst in Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

                =====
                Lou

                http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/