Re: [rug-fanatics] EM-TYPE RESUSCITATION ATTEMPT.

  • Alessandro
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2001
      Dear Chalen and rug-fanatics,

      >Where are you Mr. Alessandro of Italy? Owner of some Caucasian jems.
      >Please introduce us to some more of them please and start a discussion going?

      I'm very sorry for my "disappearance". In the past months I felt lost and
      sad because of the impossibility for me to take part in rug discussions.
      Some problems with work and family kept me from spending spare time in
      less pressing engagements (please also consider that English in not my
      native language, and unfortunately it takes me a great deal of time to
      write messages... full of errors!). Can you forgive me? Let's start from
      here a new rug-fanatics golden age!! ;-))

      Now, first of all, I'd like to thank some friends for the invaluable help
      in the ill-famed Shirvan/Kuba saga (for fanatics who are able to remember
      it)!!

      At least indeed I bought the Shirvan, and with the hints of the list I've
      certainly avoided to get all worked up about the rug. So in particular
      I'd like to thank (by appearance order in the saga ;-) the following
      connoisseurs:

      * Sam Gordon: thanks for your integrity and words of encouragement. I've
      made mine your valuable lessons!

      * Barry O'Connell: I don't know if you are still reading the list
      discussions, but I miss you a lot :-( However, a big thank you for
      devoting so many time to research my rug!

      * Len Willis: your enthusiasm and compliments are very welcome! Your
      appreciation for my Shirvan was truly a great boost through the end of
      the saga! Thank you again! And please see my other email for a new
      Caucasian saga!!! ;-))

      * Geof Uhle: well, what can I say about this guy... There are no words
      good enough to describe his great generosity and readiness to help. It's
      thanks to people like Geof that make being a part of the rug-community
      worthwhile. For instance, thanks to his advice about my Perepedil I saved
      many thousand of dollars!!

      * Iain Stewart: same words as for Geof!! Your willingness is
      unbelievable. And once again thank you to exist... You know why! ;-)

      >Mr. Greg Koos commented on a trend of clipping black areas in newly
      >produced rugs to ape the etching of old iron mordant dyes. I saw this
      >in the Carpet Oasis Exhibition in Dubai last month. It wasn't even well
      >done, and wouldn't fool anyone with even a scant knowledge of the
      >subject. But it certainly is prevalent. What do other "Fanatics" feel
      >about the practice, and is the kanker widespread?

      I think that if someone would like an antique rug, he/she should buy a
      recent (intact) one and wait until it (peraphs...) will turn old! I don't
      like the "I wish but I can't" attitude... Fortunately in Italy I don't
      see many of them.

      >I took photographs of a variety of carpets that I considered interesting
      >in the Oasis exhibition, but since I'm such a dunderhead when it comes to
      >anything to do with the internet, I can'n even assay to post them for
      >members perusal and, hopefully their comments. Then I read Mr Joseph
      >Burk's contribution today in which he mentioned having a "Rug Fanatical"
      >friend living in Dubai. I'd be happy to hand to that friend my photos
      >if he is interested and inclined, and knows how to upload pictures. ???

      Len, if you like you could send me your pictures via email and I'll be
      happy to upload them to my site. Please write me privately about this matter.

      >Re. Mr. Talal Abdulla's short message just in, I don't even know if I
      >qualify to be called a collector. I just like nearly everything to do
      >with traditional, Oriental rugs, but with a leaning towards tribal. I
      >keep on buying this and that on impulse if I like it, hoping that it's a
      >collectable, then I photograph it, and send it with its vital statistics
      >to my very knowledgeable friend in England, but he replies with "Sorry to
      >send you another damp squib". Ah well, maybe one day... He says that
      >anything collectable will not come through this gateway but will go
      >directly to Europe, Japan or America from its country of origin. What
      >do other members think of that claim?

      I fear this is right, unless you have *deep* acquaintance with traders in
      the Asian (Turkish) market...

      Well, it's enough for now! I hope I'll be able to post the new Caucasian
      saga (a Kazak rug) by tomorrow!!

      Best regards,

      Alessandro.

    • Barbara and Sam Gorden
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2001
        Dear Alessandro,
        As a dedicated lover of antique tribal rugs, I am happy if I have been of service to you. I recommend what I have written in my web page "RugLore" and would like your comments on its contents. I have little or no interest in new commercial weavings. I head "RugLore" with one of the diadems of our collection. It is one of the finest Talish runners which I have seen in fifty years of collecting. WHAT DO YOU THINK OF IT??  Sam and Barbara