Part 2: Post on an Interesting Tibetan Rug

  • R. John Howe
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2013

    Dear folks –

    Readers who have looked at my recent post on this subject will know that it presented a Tibetan rug with what seems an illusionistic effect.

    Daniel Miller, its owner, asked me to ask readers what and why it might be.

    We did, and there have been a number of responses.

    This Part 2 post rehearses Dan’s original question and summarizes the responses we received.

    Some respondents were able to replicate the effect in Dan’s rug and some sent images of other textiles that seem to contain similar effects.

    Although, the images contained in all of these responses are included in the Part 2 post being announced here, some of them may be, necessarily too small to permit you to make your own replication texts using them.  For that reason, I’ve included larger images of some of them as attachments to this email.

    My advice is to read the post, then if you want to test for the illusionistic effects in the replications, return to this email and print them off in these larger versions.

    You can see this post by pressing the Control key and left clicking on the following link:

    http://raymondj.wordpress.com/

    Or you can highlight it, copy it, and paste it into your browser.

    It will take you to the “about” page on my Eccentric Wefts blog.  The post being announced is the first one in the column at the right in red type.

    I do not permit direct comments on this blog, nor do I, usually, particularly encourage any. But, in this case, Dan and I are explicitly soliciting them and provide our email addresses in the post itself for that purpose.

    I hope you enjoy this post about a seeming, odd phenomenon and its permutations.

    Regards,

    R, John Howe