I'm new at this.

  • Norm Shechner
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2008
      Hi,
      I just returned from Marrakesh, Morocco where I purchased a 4'x6'
      antique rug, purportedly from a palace. Frankly, I don't know
      anything about identifying its source or proper maintenance. My wife
      wants to use it as a wall hanging.
      1- I've read some emails in the group about moth proofing using a 30%
      Sodium Fluro-silicate solution. Where can I get this? Are there
      other more available solutions that work as well? (I read something
      about MothGuard online and don't know if it works as well.) How often
      would I have to apply it?
      2-What books or other resources would you suggest to help me identify
      and care for the carpet?
      3-Regarding hanging the carpet on the wall, my wife's uncle used
      tackless but this seems to be a cruel treatment for a rug purportedly
      300 years old. Do you recommend carpet hangers?

      I would appreciate any assistance you can provide in these matters.
      Norm
    • R. John Howe
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2008
        Dear Mr. Shechner -

        First, the easy part.  Here are three books recognized to be pretty good ones on Moroccan weaving.  Notice that they are, mostly, not cheap because they are full-color and out of print.

        The first is by Brooke Pickering et al.

        The second is by Pickering's father Russ and Ralph Yohe

        A third book by Patricia Fiske is less expensive and may be the place to start.

        Hanging of your piece can be done in a number of ways.  The Textile Museum gives some advice.

        They also give advice about care.

        Now about the story you've been told indicating that this piece may have been a "palace" rug and is perhaps "300 years old."

        Rug dealers know that purchasers like to think that the rugs they buy are special and stories about a rug having come from a "palace" or perhaps that it was made for or owned by a noted person are frequent, but usually romantic marketing devices.  And it is very unlikely that one could readily stumble onto a Moroccan rug that is 300 years old.  The best material on the market is usually only 19th century and the great majority of it is 20th century.  I would not worry much about the palace story or the claimed age but just go about enjoying your rug for what it, visually, is.

        Regards,

        R. John Howe

[...]

      • ORIENTAL RUGS LTD
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2008
          Tackless is the absolute worst way to hang a rug..  You should have the soft side of wide velcro stitched all the way across the back and then apply the sticky side to a slat that you attach to your wall.  This way you can hang it with the weight evenly distributed and when it needs to be washed- as it will every 5-8 years, just to get the dirt from the air out of it, you can take it down, and then rehang it.

          When you take it down off the tack strip lift gently upwards to disengage it with out tearing.

          Karen DiSaia
          Oriental Rugs Ltd
          Old Lyme, CT

          Norm Shechner <magnacarta19@...> wrote:
[...]

          PO Box 814
          Old Lyme, Ct. 06371
          860-434-1167
        • D Dilmaghani
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1, 2008
            Hello Norm,

            Congrats on your new rug.  I think the best suggestion on hanging would have to be in consideration of condition.  Posting some photos on the board may also help, as well as specifying any areas which may be dry, damaged or fragile.  Different items call for specific hanging techniques.  Factors which need to be considered include condition, weight, and structure of the rug itself.

            So far as the moth issue...  If the carpet is on display, I would advise against the use of moth crystals.  The best form of protection for a rug such as this would be a natural preventative measure.  The use of cedar blocks behind the rug while hanging may be a better option.  Just make sure they don't come in contact with the rug itself, as the color may run from the wood to the fiber.  You'll also want to check the rug every couple of months, and replace the cedar ever 6 months or so.

            Concerning what the rug may or man not be, Mr. Howe has a good point.  While the rug could be very old, but don't be discouraged if it's not what you were told it was.

            Best,
            David

[...]

            *    View and post photos at:

            *    To start a new thread, post your message to:

            mailto:rug-fanatics@yahoogroups.com | rug-fanatics@yahoogroups.com

            - and don't forget to give your post a subject!

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto:rug-fanatics-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mailto:rug-fanatics-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • R Hyde
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 6, 2008
              I agree, Thumb nails/ tacks are not desirable same with tackles
              strips you can actually damage & distorte the back of a textile with
              tack strips with uneven weight distribution Velcro or a cloth sleeve
              is the preferred method.

              As far as moth retardants Magnesium Fluorosilicate solutions are
              sold on line do a search for moth retardants. However, these are
              strong acids with a pH around 3 @ a 1% soulution not appropriate for
              wool particularly antique textiles. these products accelerate
              deterioration from humidity, some soils and sun light. Moth
              retardants are not a guarantee against month infestation the best
              moth prevention is regualr interrvals of inspection, vacuuming and
              timly cleaning intervals and A comprehensive inspectionand/ or
              cleaning of all new textiles that enter a home.

              R Hyde

              --- In rug-fanatics@yahoogroups.com, ORIENTAL RUGS LTD