Re: [rug-fanatics] Afghan rugs

  • tahir ali
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 19, 2007
      40x48
      is the fine quality and the manufacturers always uses fine wool
      we also deal in all qualities of chobbi Afghan Carpets
      best regards
      lasani carpets

      craigavk <craigavk@...> wrote:
      Hello my name is craig I'm living in Afghanistan and would like to buy
      some of the local rugs. I am interested in any advice anyone may offer
      that would help me make a more informed decision. Also am interested
      in reselling for profit looking for market. I am looking for a way to
      judge quality of wool used in making the rug. I've looked at enough of
      them that I can pretty much tell by color and stitch count quality of
      construction. From what I've read quality of wool is important in
      value assessment but have not read any good info on judging wool
      quality. Or is this something that a novice is not going to be able to
      do? Any imput would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance

      CRAIG

    • detlevhfischer
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 15, 2007
        Hi Craig,

        Regarding wool quality, you often find dealers' claims that a
        particularly wool has been used (such as kork wool, a fine quality
        wool from the shoulder and flanks of lambs) but this of course is
        difficult to verify. Soft, long-staple wool with a silky shine, as you
        often find in in antique rugs, is obviously nicer that bristly or dry
        wool as you often find in inferiour qualities, such a recent Hamadans,
        or, it is reported, in many Tabriz rugs. Such wool wool is prone to
        matting, is has little shine, little springyness. Some claim such
        qualities often come from dead sheep shorn after slaughter (Tabachi
        wool), again I cannot verify that, just relate.

        Some recent Pakistan rugs (e.g. Pakistan 'Buchara' rugs) have wool
        that is artificially made shiny, re-fattened with glycerin or some
        other stuff. This stuff can transform a rug over time, I have come
        across rugs that had an obnoxious sticky and slightly humid handle, I
        guess because they had once been given some special wash.

        This is all I can offer from my experience - may be someone else
        chimes in.

        All the best, Detlev
        www.oturn.net/rugs

        (--- In rug-fanatics@yahoogroups.com, tahir ali <asifustahir@...> wrote:

        > 40x48
        > is the fine quality and the manufacturers always uses fine wool
        > we also deal in all qualities of chobbi Afghan Carpets
        > best regards
        > lasani carpets
        >
        > craigavk <craigavk@...> wrote:
        > Hello my name is craig I'm living in Afghanistan and would
        like to buy
        > some of the local rugs. I am interested in any advice anyone may offer
        > that would help me make a more informed decision. Also am interested
        > in reselling for profit looking for market. I am looking for a way to
        > judge quality of wool used in making the rug. I've looked at enough of
        > them that I can pretty much tell by color and stitch count quality of
        > construction. From what I've read quality of wool is important in
        > value assessment but have not read any good info on judging wool
        > quality. Or is this something that a novice is not going to be able to
        > do? Any imput would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance
        >
        > CRAIG

      • tahir ali
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 17, 2007
          hi
          how are you, yes i agree about your opinions i think you have a lot of experiance, actually here are two types of wool that are used in carpets one is Saudi wool, and other is Iraqi
          we use saudi wool because in wash it gives fine result.And we give the Guaranty of this wool.i think carpet depends on its wool, dye and wash.
          some dealers use local and bad quality of wool thats why in wash the result not fine.
          watch some our manufactering sample pictures